Author Topic: Puncture Repair  (Read 8956 times)

Marrtyn

• Bulleteer
Reply #15 on: April 28, 2010, 04:26:55 pm
I have taken the wheel off. Very easy to do. Removing the tyre, however, seems to be an insurmountable task! I think I am too light and puny to break the bead and fear the bead has broken me! I can't make a dent. I will try again tonight, otherwise it is being taken to the inner tube replacement man.
I think "emskee" is the replacement man!!

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: April 28, 2010, 04:49:06 pm
I have taken the wheel off. Very easy to do. Removing the tyre, however, seems to be an insurmountable task! I think I am too light and puny to break the bead and fear the bead has broken me! I can't make a dent. I will try again tonight, otherwise it is being taken to the inner tube replacement man.

Try a big C-Clamp to break the bead.
Usually jumping up and down on will do it for me. But I am a fat a~~.
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

emskee

• Scooter
Reply #17 on: April 28, 2010, 08:05:58 pm
I think "emskee" is the replacement man!!

Shucks.......
1998 Harley Davidson XLH1200 (Gone)
2001 Victory Standard Cruiser (Gone)
2004 Victory Vegas (My buddy Danny has her)
2005 Ural Gear Up (Gone, With good people)
2009 C5 (Gave it back)
2010 C5 (Still at home)
2010 Ural Taiga (Ditto)

emskee

• Scooter
Reply #18 on: April 28, 2010, 08:24:31 pm
Okay...I'm over myself now.

When I've broken beads, I'd always use the hammer thing.

I put the head of the hammer up at my shounder/chest pocket where a rifle stock would go.  Wheel on ground.  Holding handle with both hands, butt of handle on tire near bead, I do a bayonet thrusting move driving with my shoulder, using all my weight and muscle complete with a grunt and maybe a "KILL".  Has always worked.  Should work for most since I reckon it's a violent move and packs some punch.

But I weigh like 195 lbs and used to pick up heavy stuff as a sport.  Or I've been lucky.  Or both.
2009 C5 (Gave it back)
2010 C5 (Still at home)
2010 Ural Taiga (Ditto)

Ricey Thunderhide

• Scooter
Reply #19 on: April 28, 2010, 09:50:50 pm
Tiny Tim,

I am based in Birmingham. However my dealer, whom I called to ask instructions, said it would take him about 2 minutes to change. So I will take it there on Saturday. Although I may apply some camouflage face paint and have a go with the bayonet technique. It sounds like it could be therapeutic if nothing else.

HMR

• Scooter
Reply #20 on: April 29, 2010, 05:18:16 am

My technique is to remove the valve for any residual air to escape, stand on the tyre and use one heel to push in the tyre around the rim in the area directly opposite the valve and work my way around the rim to break the bead. I insert the tyre irons, again in the spot directly opposite the valve, while still standing on the tyre to pry it off. Works for me.

HMR
Mumbai

CA90290

• Scooter
Reply #21 on: April 29, 2010, 06:33:41 am
Should you get so far as removing the punctured tube, be sure to check inside the tire to be sure there is no offending item to puncture the new tube once installed.  There can be a sharp pointy that you won't see from the outside, but a run of the hands on the inside will reveal it.  It's a real drag to  go through the whole process and end up where you started.  :-[

emskee

• Scooter
Reply #22 on: May 03, 2010, 05:09:15 pm
Ditto.

On my flat, I'm pulling out the tube and Norm goes "what's that shiney thing in there". Sure as hell, there is a stem washer (dropped in during build) in there and a similarly dimensioned hole cut into the tube I'm replacing.  Had he not seen it, I'd probably have just stuffed in the new tube and had the washer eat through it. 

Great thing having a bunch of dudes standing around watching you as you wrestle through a tire repair.
2009 C5 (Gave it back)
2010 C5 (Still at home)
2010 Ural Taiga (Ditto)