Author Topic: The Duchess Has Arrived  (Read 3947 times)

Conquistahore

• Bulleteer
on: April 27, 2010, 11:19:43 pm
Hello Everyone,
I wanted to introduce myself to the group as a new Enfield owner.  After searching for about a year and a half I finally found a 2004 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 ES on Ebay in Washington, DC (I'm in Northern Virginia).  I was able to see the bike firsthand two weekends ago and made a deal offline with the owner. One of the strongest selling points, for me, was its showroom condition and low mileage: 234.  The first owner was British and was forced to sell due to an overseas job transfer.  The person I purchased it from is a Harley guy but he liked the classic stylings of the RE.  It literally spent three years in his living room as a showpiece under a spotlamp.

The bike was delivered to my house this morning.  After a quick three mile jaunt around my neighborhood it became glaringly obvious that it is in need of a tune-up (check brakes, lights, timing, plugs, oil/filter change, etc.) before the state inspection crew would consider it road worthy.  It starts right up thanks to a new battery, but is not a fan of idling.  I had to hold the throttle just to keep it from stalling, which it did a couple of times.  As a first-time bike owner I am completely carb illiterate so it could also be attributed to user error.  I also discovered that the rear tire is flat and is in need of a new tube. The bike was never properly broken in. Looks like I'll be making friends with the only Enfield dealer in the state which is located a not-so-close 100-something miles away. Any ideas how much a bike shop would charge for checking it out and doing the necessary work?  Anyone know of any shops in my area?  It's early in the season but I still don't want to get ripped off. Anyway, just wanted to announce my entrance into the group.  I've attached a few photos.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 12:07:45 am
Welcome aboard Conquistahore.

Lots of tech tips and D.I.Y. info here. These machines are  owner maintenance friendly. Don't be surprised if taking care of your Bullet becomes an enjoyable and relaxing hobby in its own.

Do follow the break in procedure to avoid troubles. The process can be frustrating at times but is more than worth it an the near and long term.

-Ice
No matter where you go, there, you are.

single

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 01:14:32 am
Looks like you have done yourself a real favor.Bike is beautiful,love the seat and colors.Now,brush up on your cuss word inventory and get busy!I like the looks of the exhaust pipe,hasn't been too lean,practically no blueing.You are now in the REal world.I buy gas in jugs and pour it in at home,helps avoid question time at the gas station.

Lahti35

• Currently Enfield-less!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • The Department of Redundancy Deptartment.
Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 01:27:35 am
I see by your plate that it came from Uncommon's in PA....same place mine came from though i bought it 3rd hand. I think they set them up pretty well, i've had little with mine, and nothing major yet at just over 2,200mi.

Get ready to have a blast! There are loads of aftermarket goodies your wallet seems to be the limit ;D
'03 Ex-Electric start 500....gone but not forgotten...

I'm a fuel injected suicide machine. I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the out-of-controller!

Conquistahore

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 01:47:00 am
Thanks for the warm welcome.  I'm thinking I can start by changing the oil and maybe the tire myself (with an extra pair of hands from a techie friend) but the idling issue I'll leave to the pros; for now.

I actually looked up Uncommon and it seems like a professional group. I think it's hilarious that the 30 day tag from 2007 is still on the bike.  I'm a big fan of Velocity in Richmond http://www.velocityvintage.com/ a real old-school Dan Conner style bike shop.

My mom is Oxford born and raised and I'm across the pond quite frequently to visit relatives...many of which are "petrolheads."  BMW's and crotch rockets are pretty popular over there.  At any rate, I'm sure "Bloody 'ell" will enter my vocab on a regular basis. Ha.

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 02:39:00 am
Welcome C-hore...

That idle thing is easy. On the left hand side of the carby there is a large  brass knurled thumb screw. While raising the throttle speed a little screw that thing in wit yer fingers.
This raises the lowest position of the slide (and increases the speed) a little. I am adding below the simplest explanation I have seen for carb adjusting from our brother
Bong in South Korea. Give it a try - Mike
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

Conquistahore

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 03:23:14 am
Oh sweet Mike, thanks.  I'll give it a go when the weather clears up here.

GBBullet

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 02:35:39 pm
Welcome aboard, and since no one else has mentioned it you should read up on breaking in your engine since it has only 200+ miles on it.
Glenn
2007 HD Softtail Custom
2008 RE Bullet 500 Deluxe (Iron Barrel)

gunbunny

• gunbunny
  • Scooter
Reply #8 on: April 28, 2010, 05:35:26 pm
Hi and welcome aboard,I'm also from the north VA ,DC area.Although I'm not much of a mechanic I have rejetted my carb and got it running smooth.If I can assist drop me a line, Robert.
2005 RE BULLET DELUXE                                                                                          2008 RE ELECTRA & COSY ROCKET

Conquistahore

• Bulleteer
Reply #9 on: April 28, 2010, 05:48:12 pm
Hey Robert...it seems we're a rare breed up here.  I dig it.  Thanks to Mike's post I was able to play around with my settings.  Now it idles at a steady rpm and drops back down to that setting after high throttle revs. I can't ride it though because of the rear tire.  That's the next thing to be replaced.

I had to give off early because the damn wind kept attempting to blow me over.

-Marc

gunbunny

• gunbunny
  • Scooter
Reply #10 on: April 28, 2010, 05:53:07 pm
Glad to hear its sorted,try to stay on the road its pretty gusty out today.
2005 RE BULLET DELUXE                                                                                          2008 RE ELECTRA & COSY ROCKET

bullethead63

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Run what ya brung..." Paul Saint Clair
Reply #11 on: April 28, 2010, 10:18:04 pm
Nice snag there,Conquistahore...it looks just like my 2002 Bullet,when I got it...it had 166 miles on the clock,and had sat in the late owners garage for seven years,collecting dust...fresh gas,oil,plug and battery,and she started right up...look out for rotten rotten rubber,like your battery straps and duckbill breather...Indian rubber is kind of cheap...take it easy ,like keep it under 45 MPH for the first 1000 miles,change the oil at 500 miles,1000 miles,and every 1000 miles thereafter...my 2000 and 2002 still have the original tires,although they look like hell,they still hold air just fine...welcome to the club,and Happy Motoring,Matt Law/Bullethead63~
1959 Royal Enfield/Indian Chief 700~(RED)~1999 Bullet Deluxe 500 KS~(BLUE)~2000  Bullet Classic 500 KS~(WHITE)~2002 Bullet Classic 500 ES~(GREEN)~1973 Triumph Tiger 750~(BLUE & WHITE)~Ride-Wrench-Repeat~your results may vary~void where prohibited by law~batteries not included~some assembly required~

Conquistahore

• Bulleteer
Reply #12 on: April 29, 2010, 05:26:53 am
Oh trust me Bullethead, I've noticed the shoddy rubber.  It looks like the bike was unearthed from the desert instead of sitting in a living room.  One of the circular pieces that holds a line to the fender is about ready to give way, some of the seals look to be cracked, and one of the hoses has a few cracks as well.  Is there a general source that people on here go to for replacements?

No worries about the 45mph break-in.  The max on the roads near my house is 40 and the next step is 55 for a connector highway which leads to the main highway at 65.  However, being inside the beltway it'll be a long time before I gather the balls to tackle 495 or 395.  It can be harrowing enough in a car. Best left, for now, to a more powerful bike.

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #13 on: April 29, 2010, 07:33:58 am
Most of the rubber bits can be had from the folks at CMW for a pretty reasonable price. I have replaced my fair share of it myself and find the quality of their rubber bits is top shelf. 

On that rear tire be warned that the stock Avon rears tend to be a real bear to take off and on compaired to most other types.. I would suggest getting some nice aftermarket spoons and a new rim liner when you go to purchase your tube. Use some dish soap or something similar to lube it.  Pulling that rear rim off the bike is surprisingly easy to do,  funny easy once you get the hang of it...
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #14 on: April 29, 2010, 07:54:48 am
Yes indeed flat tyres are simple to remedy. 

After a few practice runs at home you will be amazed at how fast you can fix a flat on the road side.
No matter where you go, there, you are.