Author Topic: Oil Change confusion  (Read 2771 times)

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
on: April 25, 2010, 03:45:07 pm
OK so I drained via the big drain plug. Then took off the diamond shaped bit and cleaned the gunk off the gauze, then the oil filter (who the hell designed THAT?!). Now do I just put the oil in the obvious filler - or do I ALSO add 0.2 L to the OTHER filler on the left hand side of the engine? What's that about?
Some quick know-how much appreciated. Don't want to start it up until I'm sure.
Thanks
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 03:51:23 pm by WillW »
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

JesterNT

• Scooter
  • Maintenance is as much art as it is science.
Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 04:32:34 pm
Soak your filter first.  Fill on the RH Crankcase. You can order a new oil filter cover from CMW that has the spring  and plate mounted.  Makes for easy install and less chance of miss alignment.  “Part number Z91501 for the G5 - part number Z91502 for the C5. Either one for $39.95. “ -Scooterbob

Page 66 of C5 owner’s manual
1. Place motorcycle on it centre on a firm flat surface.
2. Star engine and warm up for 2 min.
3.Keep a clean tray below the engine.
4.Remove the oil drain plug and suction filter underneath the crankcase.
5.Remove the oil filter on the RH crankcase cover.
6.Allow the oil to drain completely by tilting the motorcycle to both sides.
7.Was the drain plug and suction filter thoroughly and refit on the crankcase after all the oil is drained out.
8.Soak a new filter element in oil and refit on RH crankcase cover.
9.Fill recommended oil in the tank till the oil level is between the Max and Min marks on the oil window in the RH side Crankcase cover.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 05:05:08 pm
Yes, as I said, I've done all that.
The confusion is regarding the OTHER filler on the OTHER side of the engine.

Thanks for the oil filter cover tip  -  great idea!!
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 07:00:09 pm by WillW »

Marrtyn

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 08:10:39 pm
I think you will find that the only time that you have to top- up the left hand side is after a major strip down. If you search on this site under simlilar subject you will find this had been discussed -I think it was "UCE OIL CHANGE",

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 09:02:27 pm
Ah  -  thanks Martyn. I knew I'd seen it discussed here somewhere but just couldn't find it again. It was puzzling me. I did eventually decide that it was probably best ignored and I went out on the bike anyway with an easy mind.
Cheers.

clubman

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 08:23:47 pm
Soak your filter first.  Fill on the RH Crankcase. You can order a new oil filter cover from CMW that has the spring  and plate mounted.  Makes for easy install and less chance of miss alignment.  “Part number Z91501 for the G5 - part number Z91502 for the C5. Either one for $39.95. “ -Scooterbob

I would definitely like this before the next oil change. Is CMW refering to the online shop on this site? Now called NField Gear? Cos I've been trying for 24 hours to open that link and it just isn't happening.

Chris-G5

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 09:36:29 pm
I would definitely like this before the next oil change. Is CMW refering to the online shop on this site? Now called NField Gear? Cos I've been trying for 24 hours to open that link and it just isn't happening.

It's best to call them as a lot of the parts they have are not on the online store site. The site does seem to be down. Maybe they are updating it.

clubman

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: April 27, 2010, 08:53:41 am
Cheers. The site has come up again but the part number isn't there. Will email.