Author Topic: Small Lathe Suggestions?  (Read 2689 times)

Lahti35

• Currently Enfield-less!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • The Department of Redundancy Deptartment.
on: April 24, 2010, 11:08:17 pm
Hey gang I'm wanting a lathe to build the things i can't build!

Anybody know of a good make/model for smaller hobby type stuff?

I need it to be able to handle at max like a 2"-3" x 9"-12" piece of stock or something close.

I have space limitations so it can't be huge and it needs to opperate off a regular wall plug. 
'03 Ex-Electric start 500....gone but not forgotten...

I'm a fuel injected suicide machine. I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the out-of-controller!

Sam Simons

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 12:28:46 am
Hmmm...well, 110V will  keep you in the 'small' category,fer sure.....
Unimat,EMCO Maier,Taig,Sherline lathes,all accurate,may be too small in capacity
for your needs. Perhaps a better choice would be the Altas lathe,also marketed by
SEARS several years back.
Ain't gonna turn any GAZ parts are ya?

Lahti35

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 02:25:44 am
Hmmm...well, 110V will  keep you in the 'small' category,fer sure.....
Unimat,EMCO Maier,Taig,Sherline lathes,all accurate,may be too small in capacity
for your needs. Perhaps a better choice would be the Altas lathe,also marketed by
SEARS several years back.
Ain't gonna turn any GAZ parts are ya?

Nothin for the Gaz..... though i do need to redo cylinder #4..... worn out and making bad noises!

I'm just looking for something i can turn some homade fasteners and some small projects.... seems like i always need to turn something

I saw a used Unimat, thats what got me started towards buying a lathe.

I'm a fuel injected suicide machine. I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the out-of-controller!

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

BigDon

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 05:04:06 am
BigDon
REA #73
08 RE Classic, the last of the Iron Barrel Bikes.(FireBall!)
05 Suzuki DRZ 400, for haulin' xxx in the woods!
09 BMW R1200GSA for a change of pace!
http://www.youtube.com/user/SlooDon#p/u

RGT

• Grand Gearhead
  • '94 350 Bullet
Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010, 10:57:04 am
I had an old Atlas 10" with lots of tooling, even had a small fixture that would go on the cross slide that would allow you to mill small parts. Mine was one of the first models with Timken bearings, look for a bearinged headstock if you are buying an older model. Since you will find that if you just buy a bare lathe you will spend quite a bit of money in tooling for it whenever you go to do something. Try and find someone selling one with lots of tooling. I would buy an old Atlas in good condition again. I used it pretty hard for quite a number of years and it was no worse for the wear when I sold it. My only complaint with it was that I had to change the back gears to do threading. If you are looking to do more than the occassional threading you may want something more modern.

Lahti35

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 12:27:12 am
I had an old Atlas 10" with lots of tooling, even had a small fixture that would go on the cross slide that would allow you to mill small parts. Mine was one of the first models with Timken bearings, look for a bearinged headstock if you are buying an older model. Since you will find that if you just buy a bare lathe you will spend quite a bit of money in tooling for it whenever you go to do something. Try and find someone selling one with lots of tooling. I would buy an old Atlas in good condition again. I used it pretty hard for quite a number of years and it was no worse for the wear when I sold it. My only complaint with it was that I had to change the back gears to do threading. If you are looking to do more than the occassional threading you may want something more modern.

I like that! Searching for an Atlas :)

RGT

• Grand Gearhead
  • '94 350 Bullet
Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010, 05:58:57 am
back in the '80's when I bought this with all the tooling and a bit of stock I paid $650, I sold it in 2004 for about the same.