Author Topic: EFI pump on '09 G-5  (Read 2867 times)

crossbow8

• Scooter
on: April 23, 2010, 10:33:01 pm
Greetings all. While trying to start the bike this afternoon, I found the battery dead. I took it out of mount and put on 2a charger for a while. Then I put it back in bike. Re-hooked the charger, and tried to start the bike. Presto- no fuel pump whir. I checked the fuses next to battery, and they look good. The bike started last month without any fuss. I will get some new fuses and will replace them Sunday. Is there anything special to check on the bike that I may have missed? Fuel tank is full. Engine spins on electric starter fine. Just no "fuss and flurry"! The bike has been under cover this past season(winter). I'm sure it is just a minor Gremlin! I just don't know where it is hiding! Thanks from No. Calif. George.   

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 10:45:34 pm
Welcome California George. Are you in the Santa Rosa area ?

crossbow8

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 11:18:21 pm
Hello, One Thump. Yes, I am! You? Hold on, I'm waving at the tv. There. See me? LOL. I.ve been looking in the Super Factory Service Manual, and have found lots of info, just not what I need. Maybe some moisture got in somewhere this winter, tho it never rains much in S.R.!!! The rain was only standing 2" on the fence posts! I don't mind the wet, but I hate the SNOW!!! If you want to contact me, use: PLUNKETTARCHER@WEBTV.NET . Later, George.

Chris-G5

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 12:06:37 am
Check the fuel pump connector. It's a 2 wire plug under the tank. I had a problem on my G5 with a loose wire connection to the spade in one of the plugs.

crossbow8

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 01:53:26 am
Thanks, Chris-g5. I will check it out Sunday. It's gotta be something simple. All I know is if you continually stare at someting, you will evetually die of old age!! No profit there. There seems to be a bunch of plug-ins on the bike. Might be best to unplug all of them, and give them a shot of good ol' WD-40!!! It can't hurt, but might do a lot of good! And remember to REPLUG them! LOL. Thanks, George.

SSR

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 05:57:56 am
Is your MIL blinking ?

Chris-G5

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010, 02:27:21 pm
Check the fuel pump connector. It's a 2 wire plug under the tank. I had a problem on my G5 with a loose wire connection to the spade in one of the plugs.
Here is a pic of the bad wire connection

crossbow8

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: May 03, 2010, 06:36:46 am
Hi, Chris G-5. When you found and fixed plug-in, Did you replace clip? Or did you solder it back? Do you know what the plug unit is called? I haven't had a chance to get checking on the gremlins!  Back has been bothering some. DRAT!! Tomorrow for sure. Thanks, George.

Chris-G5

• Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: May 03, 2010, 12:19:08 pm
Hi, Chris G-5. When you found and fixed plug-in, Did you replace clip? Or did you solder it back? Do you know what the plug unit is called? I haven't had a chance to get checking on the gremlins!  Back has been bothering some. DRAT!! Tomorrow for sure. Thanks, George.
I ended up eliminating the plug all together and hard wiring (soldering) the connection, and used heat shrink tubing to seal it up. I think if you soldered the wire back to the clip/spade it probably wouldn't fit in the plug anymore. I tried to find a replacement spade so I could crimp it on the wire but I never found one that matched. Good luck finding and fixing your problem.