Author Topic: Center stand problem(s)....  (Read 3535 times)

paparozoumis

• Scooter
on: December 17, 2007, 10:37:07 pm
I just did a quick search and found that it's quite common that the stand won't lift the bike enough for the rear wheel to turn freely.
It's happening also on my bike but this is not the reason I am bothering you right now....

Lately something (the return spring?) on the center stand has broken and it hangs freely dragging on the ground. I had to wire it on the frame to keep it up.
There is one spring attached on the stand but it's not strong enough to hold it. Is there any second spring there that I cannot find its mounting points ot what?
Does any of you have a picture of the center stand and its spring(s)?

Or even better, an exploded view fiche with all the parts involved?

Thanks in advance.....

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 11:14:33 pm
I just did a quick search and found that it's quite common that the stand won't lift the bike enough for the rear wheel to turn freely.
The main reason that the centerstand won't lift the back wheel off the ground is that the hole in the 2 lower trans mounting plates is getting worn. It dosent take much wear to prevent the wheel to turn free. They started welding washers on the plates to make em last longer but I have found that the welds break and they wear out just as fast. The last set of plates I put on mine I welded them up a little better and hope they last a bit longer.

[/quote]
Lately something (the return spring?) on the center stand has broken and it hangs freely dragging on the ground. I had to wire it on the frame to keep it up.
There is one spring attached on the stand but it's not strong enough to hold it. Is there any second spring there that I cannot find its mounting points ot what?
Does any of you have a picture of the center stand and its spring(s)?
[/quote]

There are 2 springs. On the left side the spring mounts on a post on the centerstand and a post on the mount that the centerstand is mounted on.
The right one depending if you have rt shift or left shift mounts off a tab coming off the top right stud that bolts the gearbox on to the motor (rt shift) or off a post welded to the frame just to the front of where the swingarm bolts up to (left shift).
My 99 came with both the mounts so when I switched to rt shift I used the one off the back of the trans mount. Better angle to the spring resulting in fewer "dangles" of the centerstand. The part # for the spring is 141530 (in my old 95 parts book).
CJ

1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 11:19:01 pm
"I just did a quick search and found that it's quite common that the stand won't lift the bike enough for the rear wheel to turn freely".

Mine is like that. It does mean you don't have to work too hard to put the bike on its centre stand and also it does mean on softish ground the bike has four contact points with the ground rather than three!!!  8)
If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin

paparozoumis

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 11:34:22 pm
Hey guys... You are fast..... :)

Obviously the second spring broke and its remnants just got off the hooks, this is why I couldn't find the mounts.

Actually the bike is left shift and your info will help me locate the spot and get a replacement spring.

Thanks again.....