Author Topic: 2003 Royal Enfield Euro Classic!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?  (Read 5092 times)

IndyJAG

• Scooter
on: December 12, 2007, 12:53:15 am
Hello everybody!
I am in the process of buying a Royal Enfield 2003 Euro Classic.  The bike has right side drive (4spd)with linkage to left, 23 original miles and is in mint condition.  I am purchasing this bike out of state and it will require sight unseen delivery(pictures only).  Does anybody have any suggestions of price?  What about any questions I should ask the dealer? Storage, mechanics, fluids etc. Anything I should change straight away to increase reliability?  Any responses welcomed and appreciated.  If a bike sits for four years, and wasn't prepped, what am I looking at? Rusty Tank?
thanks alot INDYJAG

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 02:58:47 am
Hello everybody!
I am in the process of buying a Royal Enfield 2003 Euro Classic.  The bike has right side drive (4spd)with linkage to left, 23 original miles and is in mint condition.  I am purchasing this bike out of state and it will require sight unseen delivery(pictures only).  Does anybody have any suggestions of price?  What about any questions I should ask the dealer?   what am I looking at? Rusty Tank?
thanks alot INDYJAG

I would ASK the dealer to prep the bike; this will assure the tank and
everything else unless you are getting it at a very reduced rate.
Major mechanicals should be ok but  there could
be a lot of final adjusting if it hasn't been done yet. Without Enfield
experience it could be a pain in your arse...
Mike
« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 03:02:04 am by baird4444 »
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

IndyJAG

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 03:23:54 am
hey Mike thanks,
I appreciate the input.  Any good reference material regarding inspection and fine tuning?  So you know of a good resource for pricing?
Thanks again!

mbevo1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Mike and Stumpy
Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 04:01:55 pm
Indy -

I would expect tires/tubes/cables to be replaced with new - rubber and plastic all get brittle with age, even if it looks good. Covering on the seat, too.   IF  it was stored with a full tank of gas with fuel stabilizer, tank might be OK, but I would like to have the carb cleaned, float level checked, new gaskets. 

I've seen posts concerning crankcase bearing problems with bikes just sitting for a long time (they can get pitted), but many have no problems at all.

If its coming from a dealer, I would push for a 90-day warranty that doesn't start until you get some decent riding conditions.  Even better, 2500 miles... that should get you through run-in.  Don't be bummed if things don't feel "right" for a while.  I bought my Bullet new, and it turned into a different bike after I tweaked it a bit and got a couple of thousand miles on it.

As far as pricing goes, that might be tough... even NADA has a disclaimer that "DUE TO LIMITED RESALE MARKET, WE ARE UNABLE TO DETERMINE USED VALUES."

Lots of good posts here and on the yahoo groups that have "post dealer prep procedures"... loctite on fasteners, dilectric grease on electrical connecters, etc.  The Snidal manual  has lots of good tips, too.  Most of us find lots of little things to mess with to make the bike "ours"...

Hope it works out for you...

Mike and Stumpy in Michigan
'07 Classic - Stumpy
'10 C5 Military - Sherman

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: December 13, 2007, 12:36:45 am
Price???  hard to say. has the dealer had it started??
Is he an Enfield dealer??
where are you??
 first thing I'd do is inspect the tank for rust... if any it will need to be "scrubbed" out.
install a fuel filter before you even try to start it.
Have the dealer send along some new jets cause these things come in way to lean. I'd say a 120 main and 25  pilot would be a good place to start. you will want to change again  once it is run-in and you start changing the airfilter and silencer.  Also remove carb, drain and clean before starting...  change jets...   be ready for small screens in fuel tap to get clogged. DEMAND a fresh battery.
I would hope at the least the dealer guarantees it to start. ...fuel filter??
Don't really know what else cept good luck and have patience...
« Last Edit: December 13, 2007, 01:46:34 am by baird4444 »
'My dear you are ugly,
 - Winston Churchill

IndyJAG

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: December 13, 2007, 04:39:52 am
Thanks Baird4444,
I am In Indianapolis, the bike is out west.  It is coming from a private seller via a dealer.  Consignment for the owner's friend.  I visited their site and it looks kosher.  They assured me it would start right up, "it will be ready to ride" ,as well that there is no rust on the inside of tank, and I asked for a new battery.  Kind of nervous kind of excited.  I couldn't afford a new one, and at this price I feel I am getting a bargain, even including shipping.  Hope it comes clean and neat.  These winter months will have me getting my bullet up to snuff, well before I ride.  Thanks for taking time, I appreciate it man.
Jake

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: December 13, 2007, 03:51:58 pm
Jake- when will it be delivered??
sounds like you got a better deal than you let on in the beginning. Run her in easy...
pick up the Snidal manual if you haven't yet.  Also go to the Community map; you've got 1 or 2 Bullets in your neighborhood.
Did I mention fuel filter??  If it doesn't have one do yourself a favor and put one on. Plugged jets and idle circuits can be a bitch.
Have you started reading the Yahooroyalenfield group yet?? There is a wealth of knowledge there as well. I have been cutting and pasting files from these groups for over 5 years now so I've got a TON of info (over 300 mb).
 Send me a PM if you are interested in a copy -
                       Mike
'My dear you are ugly,
 - Winston Churchill

IndyJAG

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: December 13, 2007, 05:43:55 pm
Thanks,
 This is lame but I can't figure out the PM.  The computer age left me behind hunting buffalo on the Oregon Trail! Well the price is 4000 delivered.  About 1900 shy of a new ride.  I don't know if I'm being taken, there does not seem to be a good used value site as mentioned above.  However, with the advice of you and others on this site, not to mention 3mos of winter, I feel confident I can get her up to par.
Jake

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #8 on: December 13, 2007, 09:58:53 pm
Click on the user name, in this case baird4444, that will take you to his profile.  Down at the bottom you will see a place to click for sending a Personal Message.

Thanks,
 This is lame but I can't figure out the PM.  The computer age left me behind hunting buffalo on the Oregon Trail! Well the price is 4000 delivered.  About 1900 shy of a new ride.  I don't know if I'm being taken, there does not seem to be a good used value site as mentioned above.  However, with the advice of you and others on this site, not to mention 3mos of winter, I feel confident I can get her up to par.
Jake
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

Peter

• Bulleteer
Reply #9 on: December 14, 2007, 02:19:52 am
Take the retail price in 2003 and divide it by 2 to have a baseline. Any add-ons on the cycle you like, check out what it would cost you to buy them and add the cost. Mileage less than 2-3k, subtract $1000. Four years sitting, subtract another $1000 (to have the main bearings replaced if they happen to go bad). That gets you close to having it for free. It's to be considered a project at this point.
How can the seller increase value? Put it into service for 2-3K and sell it then.

That's how I look at it and not necessarily what the market says.
For $4000 you are much better off buying a new one or one a couple of years old which has not been sitting.

Peter