Author Topic: Where is this Bike made  (Read 5459 times)

Alfrank

• Neophyte
on: April 16, 2010, 06:39:34 pm
I would be interested in this Bike, but really want to ensure that it is manufactured in England and not somewhere else. Most of the cache of a bike is based on this point, It had a great reputation in the past. I heard it was made in India, if this is the case I will opt for a Norton or Triumph.

Bug_Catcher

• Bulleteer
  • Finally... something exciting between my legs.
Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 07:04:23 pm
Well the newer ones are made in India, from a factory that was built by the Brits many years ago.  What year bike are you looking at?

Of course... where the complete bike came from means nothing when you consider where the parts to make the bike come from.  American made bikes with Japanese parts, British made bikes with well... Japanese parts.  :P

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 09:11:45 pm
Royal Enfields are made in India. 
They're not for everyone.  For a vintage look, I'd recommend a Triumph or Moto Guzzi V7.
Run what ya brung

StL_Stadtroller

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 09:13:59 pm
I smell a Troll
Brian Wittling, St. Louis, MO
Her Majesty's Own Royal Enfield Motoring Enthusiast Society
Member Emeritus
https://www.facebook.com/brian.wittling

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 09:21:00 pm
Well the newer ones are made in India, from a factory that was built by the Brits many years ago.  What year bike are you looking at?

Of course... where the complete bike came from means nothing when you consider where the parts to make the bike come from.  American made bikes with Japanese parts, British made bikes with well... Japanese parts.  :P

So true, BC - SO true .....
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 10:10:21 pm
I don't care who made it or where, if it does what I need I'm happy with it.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #6 on: April 16, 2010, 10:28:22 pm
Copy THAT!

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: April 16, 2010, 11:11:58 pm
It is made in one of the former British Colonies.
maybe you should get one of those Thailand made Bonnevilles.
REA #25
2008 Royal Enfield Deluxe (Blue)
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #8 on: April 16, 2010, 11:16:14 pm
I take offense, Royal Enfield never had a "Great Reputation". ;)
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: April 16, 2010, 11:20:38 pm
Give it up dude, the British motorcycle industry went belly up years ago.
You don't want one of the new Asian made Triumphs and you just may grow old and gray before your new Norton arrives.
Of course you could pick up one of those old maintenance free machines that England produced up until the 70s and live happily ever after.
CJ
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #10 on: April 16, 2010, 11:22:54 pm
My new Bonnie was British made, I sold it to buy an Indian made Royal Enfield, and that was a good thing to do.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

blueberry

• Bulleteer
Reply #11 on: April 17, 2010, 12:54:57 am
India has the 2nd largest road system on the planet. 1,000,000 miles of that road system is dirt! If the RE can make it there, it can make it anyplace if you ride it within its limitations.
Ride Safe, Blueberry
2008 Electra
1985 Honda 250 Rebel
1970 Honda SL90

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #12 on: April 17, 2010, 01:24:58 am
I have some rather bad news about the new "Norton". I don't believe it is all made in the UK. What made be bad news for some is that Harley s have lots of parts not made in the USA and has been seen actively visiting Indian parts suppliers. I am not sure that you can buy any motorcycle that is 100% made in the country the ownership is incorporated in. Many parts of the Enfield now come from the US. go figure.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Lahti35

• Currently Enfield-less!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • The Department of Redundancy Deptartment.
Reply #13 on: April 17, 2010, 01:53:06 am
Most of the cache of a bike is based on this point, It had a great reputation in the past.

Hasn't most everything had a great past reputation the older it gets???  (Except the Edsel)

If i wanted a Bullet that was absolutely no trouble i'd leave it parked ;)

This global economy thing makes the bike parts pedigree idea pretty messy. Doesn't pay to burn your noodle trying to wrap your head around it. The iron barreled bullets are probably 50% scrap steel melted down from worn out Great Lakes frieghters sold to the east  once upon a time anyway :o
'03 Ex-Electric start 500....gone but not forgotten...

I'm a fuel injected suicide machine. I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the out-of-controller!

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #14 on: April 17, 2010, 06:09:07 am
I would be interested in this Bike, but really want to ensure that it is manufactured in England and not somewhere else. Most of the cache of a bike is based on this point, It had a great reputation in the past. I heard it was made in India, if this is the case I will opt for a Norton or Triumph.

Well, enjoy your Tiawain made Triumph
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

clamp

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: April 17, 2010, 07:02:53 am
I have also heard that Triumph make bikes here. In fact there Is a Triumph factory about 10Km from  Suvanaboom airport.  Much talk  and confusion resulted in some one from the local newspaper going to the factory only to find that the factory made bra's.

The were apparanty using the identical Triumph logo too.

They are made some wheere in Thailand and are sold in Bangkok at  a reasonable price taking into consideration no import taxes like on Harley for instance that cost more than a 4 wheel drive fully loaded Toyota.

Top range Harley 1.2 million Triumph 600,000  Toyota pick up 900,000

32 baht to the dollar.
I would never be a member of a cub that would have me as a member

stipa

• Grease Monkey
Reply #16 on: April 17, 2010, 04:39:20 pm
Hasn't most everything had a great past reputation the older it gets???  (Except the Edsel)

If i wanted a Bullet that was absolutely no trouble i'd leave it parked ;)

This global economy thing makes the bike parts pedigree idea pretty messy. Doesn't pay to burn your noodle trying to wrap your head around it. The iron barreled bullets are probably 50% scrap steel melted down from worn out Great Lakes frieghters sold to the east  once upon a time anyway :o

They might be even melted down Bullets!!   It's the greenest motorcycle you can buy;  a renewable resource even.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #17 on: April 18, 2010, 01:35:22 am
India has the 2nd largest road system on the planet. 1,000,000 miles of that road system is dirt! If the RE can make it there, it can make it anyplace if you ride it within its limitations.

Boy oh boy! There is the whole deal in a nutshell,  Blueberry! The Enfield IS a mighty tough little bike - and if you use it within its design parameters, you'll probably be able to pass it along to the grand-kids like they do in India!

single

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: April 18, 2010, 03:54:19 am
I knew a guy,when I was a kid,who bought a new Edsel.It was a beautiful car.The engine caused some trouble or other and this guy wanted the company to replace it.The service manager told him that would only happen in "extreme circumstance".So this character drove home,next morning he propped the throttle wide open,started the engine,walked away.Sometime that afternoon,it locked up.Extreme Circumstance.New motor.I want to buy things made in this country when ever possible,but that time is passing.The economics of my situation often dictate my choices,I am very sorry to say.On the Enfield line, if it were not for the Indian connection there would be no Enfields,obviously.We have never had a war with India.Friend of mine won't buy anything from any country the U.S. has been at war with 200 years back.'Course,he can afford this.I cannot,but I like the idea.I am rambling,sorry.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #19 on: April 18, 2010, 06:51:43 am
I have some rather bad news about the new "Norton". I don't believe it is all made in the UK. What made be bad news for some is that Harley s have lots of parts not made in the USA and has been seen actively visiting Indian parts suppliers. I am not sure that you can buy any motorcycle that is 100% made in the country the ownership is incorporated in. Many parts of the Enfield now come from the US. go figure.

Actually - you can ..... It's just got to be forty-five years old! Hahaha!!

Darth Sid

• Bulleteer
  • 99999 km - Time to travel back in time...
Reply #20 on: April 18, 2010, 10:20:42 pm
Boy oh boy! There is the whole deal in a nutshell,  Blueberry! The Enfield IS a mighty tough little bike - and if you use it within its design parameters, you'll probably be able to pass it along to the grand-kids like they do in India!

If I can pass mine on to my kids, whenever I'll have kids someday, like my dad passed it on to my brothers and me, I'll be really happy.

Not to mention how they're used on Indian roads! Remember my Milk Deliver Bullet thread? - http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,7229.0.html
"If it ain't broke to bits, don't fix it!"

1979 Enfield India Bullet 350 "Old Faithful"
2012 KTM 200 Duke "Bad Puppy"
2019 KTM 390 Duke
2022 RE Interceptor 650

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: April 19, 2010, 01:30:08 am
Mr Single, It's a good thing folks in other countries don't feel that way.  Otherwise we'd have ZERO products being exported.
Run what ya brung

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #22 on: April 19, 2010, 04:17:28 am
Mr Single, It's a good thing folks in other countries don't feel that way.  Otherwise we'd have ZERO products being exported.
They must feel that way, cause we are close to ZERO products being exported now.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #23 on: April 19, 2010, 08:31:55 am
Our number one export,,,

Jobs.
No matter where you go, there, you are.