Author Topic: Oil Plugs Question?????  (Read 2949 times)

Charro

• Bulleteer
on: December 11, 2007, 08:47:52 pm
Went to change my oil today and to my suprise found 3 what looked like oil drain plugs all 19mm. A qiuck look in my Snidal manual left me a bit confused.

I assume the front one under the timing cover is to drain the timing tower. Rear one is the main oil tank. With the one in the middle the sump(which is drained also in event of wet sumping). Are all three drained when changing oil, along with the filter.

Did I get it right or a'm I still confused.

Andy
« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 08:55:48 pm by Charro »
2014 Royal Enfield C5
2004 Triumph Sprint RS
2004 Triumph Speed Four
2001 Triumph Bonneville
2006 Triumph Scrambler
1998 Triumph Speed Triple
1998 Triumph Daytona
2012 Ural Gear Up
"Tell me what kind of horse you want to ride. I'll tell you what kind of rider you are." (Old Mexican proverb)

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 09:58:23 pm
Do you have the owners manual ? I'm not near mine but I think thats in there.Hey you want to get confused, look at the mikuni carb (28mm) breakdown in the snidal manual.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

Foggy_Auggie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 12:25:05 am
The rear most bottom plug is the oil tank drain.  The other two plugs have screens for the oil pump path.

The timing chest drain is the plug on the SIDE that is centered on the oil pump housing that is one piece with the timing cover.  This is called the oil feed plug in the owner's manual.  It has a seal that fits with the oil pump gear.  And the oil will drain down the outside of the cover.  Shop rags fixes this situation after draining.

Your timing chest didn't drain without removing this plug.  To fill the timing chest requires removing the square black timing cover and squirting 200 ml of oil into the tappet area oil drain openings.  I use the front opening as it's larger.  And I use a turkey baster or a very small funnel to perform this.

Regards, Foggy
« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 12:27:36 am by Foggy_Auggie »
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Fortiter Et Fideliter

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 12:34:07 am
at 500 miles I removed all of mine and found silicon residue and other stuff around the screens..  glad they were there,,  bikes doing fine..  wish I could put some miles on it .. but my red gravel driveway has various ponds across it.. and I got the feeling that 3 inch front tire would be like a one point plow going through the uh, red gravel :o