Author Topic: How Fast?  (Read 3680 times)

Blackthou

• Scooter
on: December 11, 2007, 08:24:12 pm
I've got a 350 Classic. I've just orderd a factory sports exhaust system and Amal carb. I've got a set of Samrat rockers to fit after the exhaust and carb. I'll try each one independently to assess its benfits.
At the moment she's only done about 600 miles and is happy cruising at 50-55mph. It seems as if she can't breathe after that hence the new parts. I know the engine is still fairly tight but do you think she'll be able to cruise at 70mph? When I was a lad my friend had a 55 350 Bullet and that would cruise at 70.

Spitting Bull

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 09:29:19 pm
Slow down!  If your 350 has only done 600 miles, then it's not ready for sustained periods of 50-55 mph cruising.  This may be why it seems reluctant to go any faster.

If your bike has only done 600 miles, then you should be building up to holding sustained speeds of about 40 mph and running up to slightly higher speeds for a minute or so at a time. 

Tom
« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 09:32:42 pm by Spitting Bull »
One cylinder is enough for anyone.

Blackthou

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 01:59:35 pm
Hi Tom,
Thanks for the reply. In tne manual that came with the bike it says for the first 1000 kms do not exceed 85kph progressively over a period of accumulated kms, which is about 50-55 mph and after that don't drive at sustained periods with the throttle fully open (or words to that effect).
I don't cane the bike in anyway and the speed of 50-55 is built up gently and feels quite comfortable. Most of the riding I do is on small twisting back roads so there is plenty of variation and I'm not just sitting there at one speed for long as I vary both the speed and gear changes to keep the engine working smoothly and unlaboured.  I have the greatest respect for mechanical things and would never treat anything harshly. I believe the manufacturers statement to be a bit forward and  intend to carry on driving gently until she has 1000 mls on the clock (1600 kms) but was just asking how other Bulleteers go.

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 02:26:17 pm
I adhered to the Snidal method when breaking in my Sixty-5.  Think it would work for any size Bullet.

Mileage Max /Throttle Opening
300 Mi / 1/4
500 Mi / 1/3
1000 Mi / 1/2
1500 Mi /  3/4
2000 Mi /Full When Necessary

If it were mine I wouldn't change any stock items until fully run in.  You will see the most benefit from the exhaust and air filter change.  Not sure what improvement would be gained from the Amal and Samrats.

I've got a 350 Classic. I've just orderd a factory sports exhaust system and Amal carb. I've got a set of Samrat rockers to fit after the exhaust and carb. I'll try each one independently to assess its benfits.
At the moment she's only done about 600 miles and is happy cruising at 50-55mph. It seems as if she can't breathe after that hence the new parts. I know the engine is still fairly tight but do you think she'll be able to cruise at 70mph? When I was a lad my friend had a 55 350 Bullet and that would cruise at 70.
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #4 on: December 13, 2007, 12:07:17 am
once broke in...
        I repeat: once broke in you can simply change the primary drive countershaft  sprocket to gain a little. If I remember right the 350 comes standard with a 16 tooth sprocket. Step up to a 17 and you will realize gain with higher shift points and  maybe an added 5 mph faster "Sweet spot". It will be hard to see, look from the bottom,  but if you can mark it with chalk you will be able to count the teeth.
 I"m think'n the 500 will fit....   if you are stateside I'd be glad to send a 17 tooth off my 500...
- Mike in central Illinois
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

dewjantim

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: December 13, 2007, 06:51:32 pm
Ran my RE500 hard from day one. Had to adjust valves, carb, and chain frequently and it used a little oil. Now with 6000 miles on the clock it runs great, cruises at 60-65 (indicated) and seldom needs any kind of adjustment. Now, by running hard, I don't mean abuse. Just higher speeds than recommended. Even on the backroads here in Ky you will get run over doing 30-35 mph so you have to go faster. The main things are not to let it run hot or low on oil. As for your bike cruising at 70.....it won't do it. The most you can expect is about 60 mph........Dew.
If it hurts, you're not dead yet!!!!!