Author Topic: Run-in  (Read 5365 times)

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
on: April 14, 2010, 05:11:52 pm
I forgot how much fun the run-in isn't. I've got my first 150 miles at 35 and slower varying the speed. I'm going to hold to this fer the first 300 miles and then go with a topend of 45 for the next 500 miles....   I'm not used to this and it really sucks.
I've got to get it done by the end of June for the Rally in Lanesboro - SUCKS!   
   New piston and rings @ 33,135 miles on the clock. I was lucky and didn't have to get
re-bored.  Slam had a slightly oversized piston and honed to match.
   Going to be a long spring- Mike
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 06:00:14 pm
I feel your pain brother.
 My next go around will include the diamond hone process because I just don't have the patience to do another O.E.M. break in.

Hang in there mate.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

rideOn

• Grand Gearhead
  • And on the eighth day, God said...."Let's Ride."
Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 06:23:43 pm
Fortunately, i have another ride for the summer. HOWEVER, when the rebuild on the bullet is done, i'm doing the run-in during fall and winter while temps are down! The upgrades are going to cost a small fortune and they're bloody well going to last as long as possible.    ;)
'82 gs850gl
'08 v-star 650 classic

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 06:59:15 pm
I feel ya... I am just now got to the 35+mph stage on my new rings... At least now I can ride the thing to work safely and so the miles are stacking up quicker..  But damn its hard to stay off the throttle...

Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 07:29:49 pm
I feel your pain brother.
 My next go around will include the diamond hone process because I just don't have the patience to do another O.E.M. break in.

Hang in there mate.
     Be it Diamond hone or special oil or special method  or ANY other trick, I have NEVER seen anyone successfully short change the break in. The only real help these tricks do is to increase my parts sales. So it benefits ME. I'll wait here for you!

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 08:13:37 pm
It's tough to join the ranks of stinky 50cc scooters- and other drivers get really iritated, too.   I had to review my security tapes to realize a DeSoto full of old ladies did a drive-by on me.  One of their flintlocks flashed back so I got some of their faces on tape.   HAH !
Run what ya brung

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 04:49:18 am
I forgot how much fun the run-in isn't. I've got my first 150 miles at 35 and slower varying the speed. I'm going to hold to this fer the first 300 miles and then go with a topend of 45 for the next 500 miles....   I'm not used to this and it really sucks.
   New piston and rings @ 33,135 miles on the clock. I was lucky and didn't have to get

With 33K on that top end I'd say you got that break-in routine down pat.
It does suck though.
I got my ferry tickets for June. Just got to get a Motel and pay CMW.
Getting a bike ready would be a good idea too.
A weekend of the 3 B's (Beer, Barbecue and Bulletspeak) sounds good.
CJ

1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 04:58:23 am
With 33K on that top end I'd say you got that break-in routine down pat.
It does suck though.
I got my ferry tickets for June. Just got to get a Motel and pay CMW.
Getting a bike ready would be a good idea too.
A weekend of the 3 B's (Beer, Barbecue and Bulletspeak) sounds good.
CJ

looking forward to seeing ya...    howse the hand?
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010, 07:07:22 am
     Be it Diamond hone or special oil or special method  or ANY other trick, I have NEVER seen anyone successfully short change the break in. The only real help these tricks do is to increase my parts sales. So it benefits ME. I'll wait here for you!

Hi Br. Vince !

I was talking about the modern methods of fitting and finishing modern high quality pistons and rings using modern tooling and tolerances like the O.E.M.'s do and the resultant shorter break in period, not the old style.

And you better wait there for me,,,,
(a) COFFEE !!!
 and
(b) somebody got to sell me the requisite bits to make a silk purse out of a sows ear ;D
Who better to do that than the one who knows good provolone  ;)

No matter where you go, there, you are.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #9 on: April 15, 2010, 12:49:20 pm
Hi Br. Vince !

I was talking about the modern methods of fitting and finishing modern high quality pistons and rings using modern tooling and tolerances like the O.E.M.'s do and the resultant shorter break in period, not the old style.

And you better wait there for me,,,,
(a) COFFEE !!!
 and
(b) somebody got to sell me the requisite bits to make a silk purse out of a sows ear ;D
Who better to do that than the one who knows good provolone  ;)

Speaking of "good provolone", I love it too!
I grew up in a small town in NJ, which was mostly an ethnically Italian town.
All the food there was fantastic!
My first job at 12 years old(I had working papers) was in an Italian bakery and deli, and I thought that this was all "normal", and that everywhere had food like that.
No matter where you went in my town, you ate good.
Just the bread and rolls alone would freak most people out, they were so good.

I never realized how good I ate there, until I moved away and found out that I ws brought up with the best tasting food I ever had anywhere.
One of my favorites at the deli where I worked, was an Italian meatball sub with provolone melted over the top, on one of their superb sub rolls. I swear that I dream about it to this day, 40 years later!

And yes, if the boring and honing and piston fitting are done a certain way, it can be a short break-in. Of course the typical Enfield methods don't conform to that, so they need more time. Basically, the stock Enfield break-in is actually letting the rings do the final honing stages on the bore, as you break it in.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 12:56:41 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: April 15, 2010, 01:32:45 pm
looking forward to seeing ya...    howse the hand?

Hand is doing good thank you. Not very strong but I'm getting to the point I can pull a clutch in.
Went out for a few short rides and I'm working out with one of those squeeze things.
I will be ready for the June rally one way or another.
CJ
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

PaulF

• Grease Monkey
Reply #11 on: April 15, 2010, 03:10:11 pm
Speaking of "good provolone", I love it too!
I grew up in a small town in NJ, which was mostly an ethnically Italian town.
All the food there was fantastic!
My first job at 12 years old(I had working papers) was in an Italian bakery and deli, and I thought that this was all "normal", and that everywhere had food like that.
No matter where you went in my town, you ate good.
Just the bread and rolls alone would freak most people out, they were so good.

Ace, what town was that? There are, (were), only a few that were exclusively Italian in NJ. I now live only about 30 miles from Raritan, (adopted home of John Basilone), where I was born and raised.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #12 on: April 15, 2010, 03:26:21 pm
Ace, what town was that? There are, (were), only a few that were exclusively Italian in NJ. I now live only about 30 miles from Raritan, (adopted home of John Basilone), where I was born and raised.

Hi Paul,
I was raised in Berkeley Heights NJ, which was originally a Sicilian enclave where alot of mobsters used to go when they needed to avoid "the heat".
There was still alot of mob there when I was there, but it was a real quiet town with almost no crime, and everybody was nice. It got bigger and more diverse as Bell Labs began to settle alot of its employees in there.
At least half the people in my schools were Sicilian, and alot of my friends were too.
There were also people there from other Italian regions too.

God, they can make good food!

I worked after high school at a British Car shop on Rt. 22 in Green Brook called the Coventry Garage. The Coventry Garage later moved down to Whitehouse on Rt. 22, and I worked there until 1976 when I moved to Florida.

I used to hang out at the Circle in the Watchung Reservation, and drive my sportscar around in there. I also used to love to go down to Hacklebarney State Park and swim and party. I knew alot of people from Mountainside, because our HS was regional, and included Mountainside.
I was born in Jersey City, and lived as a baby in Hoboken, but my family moved out of there while I was still a toddler.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 03:39:45 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Lahti35

• Currently Enfield-less!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • The Department of Redundancy Deptartment.
Reply #13 on: April 15, 2010, 07:33:07 pm
Hand is doing good thank you. Not very strong but I'm getting to the point I can pull a clutch in.
Went out for a few short rides and I'm working out with one of those squeeze things.
I will be ready for the June rally one way or another.
CJ

Glad you're going to make it! Wish i could too but my career change has things messed up >:( I'll have to wait until next year to meet the faces behind the names.
'03 Ex-Electric start 500....gone but not forgotten...

I'm a fuel injected suicide machine. I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the out-of-controller!

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #14 on: April 15, 2010, 11:17:17 pm

I'll be joining you soon, got CJ's piston today and plan to get it back together this weekend.  The old piston showed sure signs of overheating and the bottom two rings were stuck tight.  I'm assuming that the overheating happened sometime after 10k miles as I never noticed a loss of compression before that.
Funny thing is it never used more oil after the compression got weaker.  Had the head gasket not started leaking I'd still be riding it that way.
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com