Author Topic: hanging gasket etc update  (Read 2197 times)

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
on: April 14, 2010, 03:59:27 pm
So the beloved bike's been in for its first service - no metal in the oil but loads of sealant crap on the gauze - I've seen that mentioned here by others. The bit of hanging gasket I posted about before is, it seems, just a spare bit of gasket. They've used a gasket with a bit extra on it apparently, but the seal is good, the mechanic tells me. He's put a new one on and it has the same bit spare underneath, but not quite so visible as before. He said the bit of gunk seepage underneath is just chain lube. I'm more or less reassured.  I rode about eighty miles after I picked the bike up and was pleased at how smooth it felt compared to the loan bike. Oil level good and no drips underneath. So be it.
I hope this reassures Billy2sheds who has the same gasket issue on his bike. Although it's puzzling that his seems to have much more gasket showing - about four inches I think he said.  I'd really like to know what your mechanic says Billy.
The brake shaft is replaced of course - a casting fault is the general consensus.
They had a look at the slightly offset fuel tank, although I only mentioned it as an amusing aside, and they suggested ordering a new one, but frankly it doesn't bother me that much. I'm a bit left-leaning myself after all.
Also found a place that'll lower the seat for me at a reasonable price, although I'm a lot more comfortable with the slow manoeuvres now, despite one hairy moment on the lanes up to Dartmoor yesterday....
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 04:06:53 pm by WillW »
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 04:18:10 pm
Will - I'll bet you are referring to that bit of gasket in, on and around the output sprocket on the engine. Don't trouble yourself over this - it is by design that the gasket hangs out in thin air there. It is essential that the case has the same spacing on front and rear - the excess gasket just serves as a "bridge" to get a 25mm piece of gasket under the back of the case around the dowel pin so the outer cover doesn't warp. There are perforations on it to tear it away once the cover is tightened down. The chain usually gets it, tho ....

The offset in the tank is there because the Factory used the already existing molds to "create" the new tank - with the offset being for the fuel pump. If you stand directly behind a G5 and stare at it, you'll see that the STRIPES are perfectly centered on the bike - but the tank will hang over on the left about 15mm or so for pump clearance. I think it's rather clever to take advantage of what is available to get into production quickly and not have to re-invent the wheel. It's also SO Enfield. I won't mention the asymmetrical mirror mounts on the bike - that would probably drive you batty .....  ::)
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 05:00:52 pm
Good to hear from you on this gasket update.  Nothing to worry.  Give it gas and off you go for a ROYAL ride.  Nothing like it !!!

Just one bit of advice - Check all the nuts and bolts for tightness.  Due to vibrations, some of them may loosen a bit.  And if need be use locktite.  Once everything is settled on your bike, it will not need much of doing anything.  That is all to it.  The engine will get better with ride.  This will be one of the best summers you have had in many years ! 
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 08:01:02 pm
Thanks for the encouragement guys.
I'm just back from an evening ride after tightening up the chain - they didn't do it on the service, lazy buggers. It isn't snatchy anymore. The gasket is explained, the tank was always more amusing than bothersome, and all is well in motorbike land. I'll be checking those nuts and bolts Singh, don't worry.

I can't believe I lived without this beautiful bike for so long .......

Assymetrical mirrors....? I don't believe it. I'm going out there right now to check.... :o
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 08:07:20 pm by WillW »
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

billy2sheds

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 09:42:50 pm
hi will and all the guys,as in my pm i'm cool with my bike now. i got my owners manual after my service,my service was 200miles, late anyway after reading my manual it mentions half and threequarter throttle so i marked the caseing .i had been running at 45 to55 at 500 miles so after the service i ran at half throttle which gave me 60 mph so i will run at those speeds for another 150 miles then up it a bit more,i'll take the running in a bit longer i'm not in any hurry to go full chat.as you said in your post i was pretty wobbly at slow speed but have made a lot of improvement i feel a lot more confident now so roll on the summer.  bill ;D

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 10:25:15 pm
Good reports, glad to know all is well.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association