Author Topic: On the LAMS and the law( and a newbie's doubts)  (Read 3366 times)

jedaks

• Bulleteer
on: April 14, 2010, 10:28:48 am
I'm a male menopause motorcycle enthusiast. I have never been on a bike in my life until a few weeks ago when I started taking lessons. I want a RE ! I love the history of this bike. I adore the look. I don't even mind the thought of routine simple maintenance provided I have a good manual to follow.

In the land of OZ, there is the Learner Approved Motorcycle Scheme (LAMS) This restricts new riders to certain motorbikes that have a certain power to weight ratio, for the first year of their licence. This is to give the newbie a year to learn how to ride and handle a motorbike before allowing him/her to ride whatever bike he/she wants. It is forbidden to carry a passenger during this time. All Royal Enfields are in this category. Thats good. ;D ;D

I don't want to go fast, just the speed limit of 60 mph. I don't intend to go far, just about 1/2 hour a day.  The RE is perfect for this.

But I don't want to ruin my first bike experience. I have read alot of posts on this forum and there are plenty relating to problems with their bikes. Not major ones, but ones that have taken them off the road for a short time. (oil leaks, bike won't start, wheels out of alignment) Even the new UCE motors have some problems.

Also, I'm 6,3 and weigh 250 lbs. I have never ridden a RE, but I have sat on one. A 1998 military model.  It was cramped and uncomfortable. This is not about vanity, but I also looked a little slilly. The bike was small under me.

My question#1..Can the driving position be adjusted to allow for bigger blokes comfort and aesthetics?

My other LAMS option is the Yamaha Star 650. It fits me better and dosen't need the attention the RE does. But I want the RE! I don't mind routine maintenance but I don't want  to live in fear of my bike breaking down because it's Tuesday!

I live in a country down and the dealer is a 3 hour drive away. So the "warranty" is not so easily attended to.

Question #2.. Would you recommend the RE to someone with my concerns?

Thank you very much for your assistance.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 12:52:40 pm
I'd look for a long flat seat that you can sit back further on the bike with, so you  can stretch out a little more.
The seats with the "hump" for the passenger, make it hard to "scoot back" where you might be more comfortable. A flat seat would allow more room to get a good seating position.

There are handlebars with different shapes too. You can find a set of bars which don't pull back much and that can give you some more room to stretch.

The new Royal Enfields exhibit better reliability than the older ones, but there might be a few niggling things that crop-up during the warrantee period.
Hopefully, you won't have any. There are people on this forum with newer bikes such as the C5, who had no problems with their bikes at all, of any kind. Some others did have a few issues, but most of a relatively easy-to-fix nature.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

oldairplanenut

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 01:57:24 pm
I'm in your same boat. I am 43, 6'4", 230# and decided to give motorcycling a try this summer. I've never ridden a bike before, and only sat on a RE last week. Ordered a black C5 that should be here next week. I was a little concerned that it would be too small for me, but it didn't feel too bad  when I sat on it. I guess I'll find out when I start riding it. I just couldn't resist the beauty of the C5. It's the only modern bike I've looked at that really jumped out at me and made me want one. 

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 04:11:52 pm
Half an hour a day....?
Good theory. But trust me, once you're on it you'll be on it for hours and miles.   ;)
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

JesterNT

• Scooter
  • Maintenance is as much art as it is science.
Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 04:14:49 pm
Hello,
A RE C5 was my first motorcycle and I love it!  I read about it in Maxim and I sold myself on the aesthetics.   I rode a HD Sportster, a neighbors Goldwing, a Kawasaki Vulcan, and Suzuki Boulevard.  The other bikes ran the gambit from overpriced to intimidating in power and size.  When sat on the C5 it didn’t feel small.  I liked the power, it was plenty without being intimidating to a first time motorcycle rider.   The size and weight are easy to control in a turn. With only a few brief practice sessions I could easily ride in tight figure 8 patters with my feet on the pegs. Showing the bike off to a friend in my garage I absently mindedly let go without the kickstand down.   The bike dint fall far, but I was easily able to catch it and return to center.  If it had been one of the other bikes no doubt it would have come crashing down and either pinned me to the ground or damaged the bike, probably both.

I’m not quite your size 6’ 225lb but I get what you mean regarding rider vs bike.  I find that when I get a full face helmet, my Cortech armored jacket, gloves, and boots on I feel a bit “fluffy”.  I get such a thrill from riding my RE I would wear a snowsuit if I had to.  I told myself it’s a British style bike, you don’t ride it like a chopper that’s raked in the front and your leaned way forward over the thank , or way back on a sissy bar.  It’s not a crotch rocket where your knees rest on your ears while you hold on for dear life.  You ride pretty much upright and that has the effect of making the rider look larger and thus the bike smaller. 

Mechanically my C5 has run like a top.  I found the owner’s manual to be quite detailed on the maintenance schedule.  It has loads of information to maintain and troubleshoot most issues.  The dealer I bought from was almost 6 hours away from my home, and this hasn’t been an issue. 

That’s my opinion.  Again I’m a first time rider and this is the only motorcycle I’ve owned.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 06:18:05 am
Hi jedaks

By all accounts the UCE powered machines are much better than my old Iron barrel.

One of the nicest things about EFI is no re jetting the carbie when fitting a low restriction silencer to wake up the motor.

A few millimeters of adjustment up /down, fore/ aft of a simple thing like a foot peg or  up/ down angle of the clutch lever makes a big difference in how the bike fits you.

After some trial and error my Bullet fits me like a glove and almost rides itself.

No matter where you go, there, you are.

kiamarider

• Amazin
  • Scooter
Reply #6 on: April 16, 2010, 12:32:10 pm
Hi, I also live in OZ. In fact i had to chase NSW govt to have the UCE actually named on the list, as list went to 2008 RE only, until Feb.. I am 6 ft  230kg and people say the size of the bike is just right. I also bought  a black C5  Dec 23rd and have done around 1900km. Only problem is neutral light not working now but then the Triumph i had last time 41 years  ago did not even have a key operated ignition. It has been really good fun. Generally 1-2 hours in Kiama countryside on weekends. , couple of runs to 150km.
Yes after reading forums the fingers are crossed, but only lightly.
Bite the BULLET
Cheers Peter :o

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #7 on: April 16, 2010, 10:39:03 pm
You have made a wise choice in mototcycles!
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Tecomakeith

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 02:49:18 am
I've had my new  Classic C5 for 8 months now and it's a great bike.The UCE is a fantastic motor haven't had a problem to date cross my fingers. A lot of friends have Jap bikes and they break down still and have problems so don't worry too much it's a great engine.  I  had to ride on L Plates for 6 months and have just got my license a few weeks back. I  didn't buy it for speed as I always just loved riding (cruising) years ago and I  now cruise most weekends with friend and by myself for 150 to 200 odd K's and it's great. I've restricted the speed as the bike is still being run in but lately have bursts of 90 to 100 K/P/Hour easily.  Buy it and enjoy

Keith. :) 8)

hocko

• Grease Monkey
Reply #9 on: April 21, 2010, 04:47:38 am
Hi Jedaks,

I'm in North Qld, my nearest dealer is 700 km away in Cairns, I've owned a G5 since september last year 2500 km's on the clock, I'm 6' and 96kgs (Just a bit short for my weight). Previous to the G5 I had a Suzuki SV650 S for 5 years and prior to that a BMW R80 for nine years, I  brought mine sight unseen and without throwing a leg over after I sold the Suzuki. The only problems (?) I 've encountered is oil blow back though the breath hose after I had overfilled the sump, and a slight oil weep from the starter motor housing, it's not worth worrying about until the next service. I ride the bike like I ride any bike, I  ran it in according to all advice and then some, after that I just rode it like any other bike, I don't thrash it but on the other hand I don't baby it after the run-in. I use it to commute every day and on the weekends try to get a ride in down to Airlie Beach (About 180 - 220 k's round trip) The bike is excellent on fuel, I keep forgetting to put fuel in it, thank christ for the warning light. It may not be as fast as my other bikes, but now that it's run in, it had handle highway traffic conditions no problems. The only things I will be doing in the future is looking a luggage and a small screen, mainly for the highway romps. It will hold 115 - 120kph all day contrary to popular belief and dosn't seem to be straining. Sorry to ramble but prior to buying mine I had no idea what I was in for, so my advice?......Just do it.

Cheers   :)