Author Topic: Beyond cool...  (Read 5304 times)

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

RGT

• Grand Gearhead
  • '94 350 Bullet

DNash

• Idiot
  • Bulleteer
  • '01 Military - "Rocinante"
Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 09:13:16 pm
Hmm......

Series 2 Interceptor in Bullet frame.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 01:05:42 am
You know - I've seen a few of each apart .... I'm guessing that it'd be pretty easy to make that bike. The absolute beauty of the Enfield is that they haven't changed all that much ....
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

GeorgeE

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 02:17:17 pm
I like where he says " the usual welds on the front and rear. " I've got 5 twin motors and none of them have " the usual welds".  If you abuse things and they blow up I don't consider that the usual state of affairs. Perhaps because it is a rare experimental early Interceptor they didn't have the issues sorted hence the blow up.
The Constellations had a reputation for blowing up.  But they were marketed as the fastest British twin at the time with a top speed of 115 MPH ( perhaps optomistically). And guess who bought them and blew them up?  The Ton Up boys. The VAX Interceptors may have suffered the same fate.
47 G
5? Bullet
58 Trailblazer
59Constellation
61 Hornet
64 500 Twin
64 Interceptor
2007 Electra

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 02:23:42 pm
I like where he says " the usual welds on the front and rear. " I've got 5 twin motors and none of them have " the usual welds".  If you abuse things and they blow up I don't consider that the usual state of affairs. Perhaps because it is a rare experimental early Interceptor they didn't have the issues sorted hence the blow up.
The Constellations had a reputation for blowing up.  But they were marketed as the fastest British twin at the time with a top speed of 115 MPH ( perhaps optomistically). And guess who bought them and blew them up?  The Ton Up boys. The VAX Interceptors may have suffered the same fate.

I agree with this - If I can operate a "fragile flimsy" motorcycle for a kabillion miles without a blowup and subsequent repair - why can't everyone? I sure understand the "need for speed" - but there is always faster stuff than what we have out there ..... you just gotta PAY for it one way or another ..... I wasn't aware that the Connie's had a reputation for self destruction - What is THAT all about - poor engineering or too fast riding?? I may have a paw on one ..... that's why I ask.

GeorgeE

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 01:19:14 pm
Bob
I'm just basing the Constellation issues on all that I have read( and I've read every book I'm aware of on RE's). As you probably know the twin was originally designed as a 500 . When it became a 700 it still wasn't much of a problem as it was in a fairly low state of tune. Once they tried to make a hot rod out of it the issues appeared.
 I think the later Trailblazer were built to Connie spec. Don't know if there were issues with them at the time or not. I know my Trailblazer will kick my Connies a$$ anytime. Course that could be cause the Connie really could use some TLC. It's on the list. One problem with having too many RE projects. But hey I ain't complaining.
If you've got a chance to get  a Connie go for it. I love riding mine even though the swingarm bushes are well beyond their sell by date.  It just really seem to "fit" me.
George

47 G
5? Bullet
58 Trailblazer
59Constellation
61 Hornet
64 500 Twin
64 Interceptor
2007 Electra

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 05:26:37 pm
Thanks, George - I appreciate that. I've been watching the lump on eBay that is a "VAX" engine. It's broken from flinging a rod off the crank - but it's all there. If it doesn't break my financial threshold, I'll sign up for it. I'm not afraid of the welding on the case - I can make it stronger than OEM ..... and invisible! I'm just looking for a Twin project to hang together for a rider. I don't care if it's numbers matching or whatever ..... I'll probably use an India Iron Barrel bike for a chassis. Before you purists out there roll your eyes - it WILL be all Enfield - and it won't be laying fallow under a bench someplace .... it'll be generating smiles! I'm betting that my rather conservative riding habits wouldn't break a properly assembled one. If only Buick made a motorcycle ....... Heeheehee!!!

GeorgeE

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: April 16, 2010, 02:06:04 pm
Bob
While I know twin engines have been stufffed into single frames I'm not sure the early Bullet frame would be the best bet. Twin frames show up fairly often on Ebay. A later Bullet frame might be OK ( stronger) also but have never seen one of those come up. Too bad I didn't know you were looking for a project previously. I have most of a 64 Inter basket but have promised it to someone else .  Don't know if you are aware of Dave Blasco's blog but he surfs all the craiglist ads around the country and quite a few project show up on his blog. I haven't checked lately as I have sworn NOT to buy any more toys till I get a couple actually completed.  Best of luck whichever direction you go.
47 G
5? Bullet
58 Trailblazer
59Constellation
61 Hornet
64 500 Twin
64 Interceptor
2007 Electra

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #9 on: April 16, 2010, 03:49:59 pm
George - Again, I really appreciate the info here. I had planned to use a "strengthened" single frame - of course depending on what showed up at the door at any given time. I have had to swear on my Mothers grave not to get any MORE projects going, too. I usually mention the seedy bars and tawdry women as the OTHER choices to piddling happily with motorcycle cast-offs ...... that occasionally will get another one under the roof! Hahahaha!!!   ::)

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #10 on: April 16, 2010, 11:30:55 pm
That's a good dodge Bob, I've used it a time or two myself,  ;)
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association