Author Topic: 'customer service" = dead bike  (Read 3460 times)

csbdr

• Bulleteer
on: April 12, 2010, 02:42:51 pm
I just need to rant a little this morning. My C5 developed a dodgy ignition switch last fall, and the airbox lock fell apart altogether.  So since then the box has been   held together with duct tape and rubberbands, and I've hed to 'finesse" the switch into the right spot to contact and start the bike.

well,  that went to hell this morning.  Now the thing shorts, and when I hit the starter button, it trips a breaker and the bike goes dead (hello RE...kickstarter please....anyone listening?!)  So I'm now driving the car, beautiful day, and I'm late.  Needless to say, I'm plenty ticked.

the pisser here is I went into my dealer in NOVEMBER wanting to order a new lockset.  I don't know if Steve at M&S forgot, or if the issue was on CMW's side, but it didn't happen.  I went back in March after not hearing anything and now I get told it's a 2 MONTH BACKORDER to get that, and the muffler I want.  Now, I can wait on a muffler, but now that my whole bike is crapped out, the backorder answer is unacceptable.  This is warrenty work on a new bike, and I think something else needs to happen to get me back on the road.  

I think either Steve or CMW needs to be pulling a lockset off an unsold bike and getting it to me, and getting me back to riding. Maybe that's not reasonable, but neither is what adds up to a 6 month wait to get proper parts, with all the screw-ups.

anyway...rant over. I hope you see this Kevin and can help resolve the issue.  
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 03:18:35 pm by csbdr »

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 03:17:25 pm
In before nuked....

Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

csbdr

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 03:21:30 pm
I live at the top of a steep drive, on snowy ridge in the Adirondacks. There was no getting "in" after a point, so I was going to swap out the parts myself over the winter. Is that what you were getting at?  Shoulda got it in before it crapped out?   :)

Bullet Bill

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 03:31:11 pm
Nah, that's not it.  There was a recent post a few days back about a busted AVL bike that a local dealer temporarily replaced with a C-5.  That was awesome, until the C-5 crapped out, too.  The tone of the thread was apparently negative enough after a certain point to warrant its deletion.

"In before nuked" = "I got a post in before this thread vanished."

Personally, I'm sure if you talk about your issues without torching RE too heavily, the thread will stay up and your problems will be resolved.

*Note:  Vote of confidence not valid if thread disappears before I manage to post this reply*
There's something that doesn't make sense... let's go and poke it with a stick.

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 03:31:55 pm
Just posting in the thread before someone nukes it..  They should have replaced that switch for you when you asked...   You would think it would use the a generic switch and they would be available...

Duck and cover....   ;)
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

Bullet Bill

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 03:38:37 pm
On the bright side, I've heard that there may be a kickstarter kit coming to the U.S., since the Classic 500 in India apparently has a kicker.  If there are enough issues with the electric starter or if there is enough general demand for a KS in America, you may be in luck.

Until then, good luck with customer service, and keep a stiff upper lip, etc. etc.

I actually think it would be kind of cool to give customers all the tools and equipment necessary to replace the electric starter with a kicker or a replacement ES right out of the box, since so many of us like to fiddle with these bikes anyway.  Unfortunately, the less mechanically inclined among RE's customers might think said equipment is meant for them, and too many doomed Bullets would inevitably follow.
There's something that doesn't make sense... let's go and poke it with a stick.

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 03:56:10 pm
     Guys, these kind of posts get deleted because this is not the way to get things handled. Anyone that has been here more than a day or two knows that Kevin Mahoney and crew are very approachable. There is not a more responsive or fair importer ANYWHERE. The way to handle this is to CALL CMW and talk to someone that can handle the issue. Venting here will not fix the bike. You may feel better after venting, but the problem is still there. Your self-induced frustration will build again soon, then you'll have to vent some more. I say self-induced because where ever the problem lies, be it the dealer or India or communication between CMW-dealer-customer, venting here doesn't fix the problem. So you are inducing more frustration on yourself. Take a pro-active position and CALL CMW. Have all your info handy:sales, VIN, and incident with dates. . Be direct and matter-of-fact. Unless, of course you would rather be miserable and angry.
     Speaking as a dealer, my worst customer issues start with a customer venting instead of solving. I'm not perfect. I screw up. Talk to me and let's get something moving. The folks at CMW are the same. CALL CMW.

csbdr

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 04:06:31 pm
Weeelll, let me make something really clear.  I'm not flaming anyone. I'm just frustrated as I have already gone through my dealer twice, who is genuinely a great guy, and tried CMW, which honestly has been less than forthcoming in dealing with customers on the C5 in particular.  I'm universally told that any parts issues on the C5 HAVE to go through the dealer. period. On my past 2002 RE dealing with CMW has been great and I usually call directly, but the C5 has been different.

So it's frustrating that I tried to deal with this 6 months ago, and now the bikes not ridable. Noone's perfect, not expecting that, but.....

I left a very reasonable message for my dealer, asking him to call and try to move something along.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 04:11:38 pm by csbdr »

JesterNT

• Scooter
  • Maintenance is as much art as it is science.
Reply #8 on: April 12, 2010, 04:28:36 pm
I agree with Vince call CMW.  I have had an issue my C5 that is not an easy fix.   I worked with my dealer and then with the folks at CMW.   The people I have dealt with at CMW have been wonderful.  My situation was probably a one off but they said flat out they would rather make me happy and earn my loyalty than loose me as a customer.   If you want them to pull parts off an unsold bike, ask them flat out.  Maybe they can maybe they can’t.  It would be nice if they stocked every part for every bike but that’s just not realistic.  The time, cost, and customs delay for shipping from India are a part of owning a RE in the US.  To FedEx even a small package from Chennai to the US in 2 or 3 days can cost 100’s even 1000’s if it weighs more than a few pounds.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #9 on: April 12, 2010, 04:35:16 pm
I do not intend to remove the thread, but boys this is pretty simple.

When you signed up for this forum you agreed to the Terms of Service. Among those is the one I have posted below:

TOS
4. If you have a complaint about a dealer, Classic Motorworks  or your Royal Enfield, please contact someone who can actually do something  about it. Our contact information  is in the sidebar on the left or you can get your dealers contact information here www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/dealerlist. Complaining on the forum will not help you fix your problem, but perhaps we can.

We have very few rules here and those that we do have are simple. In the meantime I will look into your complaint and see if I can figure out what the problem is. I did find out that your parts were not ordered last Fall. We can't keep those silencers in stock as they sell as fast as we get them, but the locks need looking into,

« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 04:37:23 pm by Kevin Mahoney »
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com