Author Topic: The Shooter  (Read 1309 times)

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
on: April 11, 2010, 10:45:17 pm
We all know Bullet owners can be an odd lot (just look at Uncle Ernie).
Anyways, last night I was watching this movie, the Shooter. This guy was a sniper in the military, and was framed for an attempted presidential assassination.
I won't ruin the movie for you, but I picked up on one thing. While on the lamb, he seeks out this eccentric gun expert for advice. The guy is located near ATHENS,TN.  :o You don't suppose...nah, it was only a movie, wasn't it? ::)
REA #25
2008 Royal Enfield Deluxe (Blue)
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 11:03:29 pm
I can neither confirm nor deny any connection to that story.
 :D

Interestingly though, I used to be one of the top 1000-yard shooters in this area, and I actually know the people who made the barrels for that type of rifle he used in the movie.
It's a CheyTac .408, and that type of rifle probably still holds the 2500-yard accuracy record, as far as I know.
It's about the best choice, if you plan to accurately hit targets at more than a mile.
It comes with its own hand-held ballistic computer, which has sensor inputs for distance, wind, temp, direction, angle, etc, and  automatically calcluates bullet trajectory, and displays the necessary scope adjustments on the little display screen. So, you get your data, make the scope adjustments, and fire.
An experienced marksman with that rifle could hit a man-sized target nearly every time at a mile and a half distance.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 11:10:23 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

RGT

• Grand Gearhead
  • '94 350 Bullet
Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 02:41:31 pm
Did not know of the movie, but I read a book like that a long time ago. It's the one where the guy shortens the firing pin on his rifle before going through with their charade?

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 03:04:07 pm
After that alleged incident at the petting zoo, I make sure not to associate with prople into beasiality.  I know lambs may be acceptible in Australia, but folks seem to frown on that sort of thing here.  As well they might.

Run what ya brung