Author Topic: Styling Cues - need suggestions  (Read 2823 times)

Darth Sid

• Bulleteer
  • 99999 km - Time to travel back in time...
on: April 11, 2010, 10:32:50 pm
Ok, here's a photo of my 1979 Bullet 350 with its fenders painted off-white recently. They do make the bike look distinctive but don't seem to fit the theme of the bike. What can I do to the fenders, tank and/or toolboxes to make the fenders match the bike?
One idea I had involves replacing the golden lining on the tank and toolboxes with white lining but it won't go with the brass monograms, which I want to keep.
Registration number will be added later to the front fender.
Any suggestions? Calling all owners of beautiful Bullets.
"If it ain't broke to bits, don't fix it!"

1979 Enfield India Bullet 350 "Old Faithful"
2012 KTM 200 Duke "Bad Puppy"
2019 KTM 390 Duke
2022 RE Interceptor 650

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 10:40:48 pm
I would mask off everything inside and including the gold pin striping on the tank and toolboxes and paint the rest of them white.  It would give you a two tone paintjob and look pretty sharp..Custom..

Looking good...
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 01:00:47 am
I would get the fenders painted and striped to match the tank and sidecovers.
Run what ya brung

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 01:07:12 am
  I vote with Gary on this one.  Can't beat a white bike for attention. ;D
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

Darth Sid

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 08:22:44 am
I would mask off everything inside and including the gold pin striping on the tank and toolboxes and paint the rest of them white.  It would give you a two tone paintjob and look pretty sharp..Custom..

Looking good...

I vote with Gary on this one.  Can't beat a white bike for attention. ;D

I'm sorry I forgot to mention a couple of things in my first post. It was 4 AM and I was tired.
Firstly, I cannot have too much white on the bike because this colour is quite close to that of police Bullets and I might run into trouble with the authorities if I put on too much white. Also, since the registration certificate says "Colour: Black" that might further cause legality issues.
Secondly, I got those fenders painted while the gearbox was dismantled and got it done cheap - equal to the cost of new front brake shoes. So, time and money were and still are a constraint. I can't afford to have the tank off for more than a day considering my job schedule.

But, thanks for the suggestions. Really. I actually had that paint scheme in mind but the above factors and lack of trust in most painters' skills led me to what you see above.

I would get the fenders painted and striped to match the tank and sidecovers.

Well, I just got the fenders painted less than a week ago and the plan was to paint them in a conspicuous colour. They were black before with gold lining on the front fender where the integral license plate is. Even the number was in gold. See below:

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=2551

2019 KTM 390 Duke
2022 RE Interceptor 650

RGT

• Grand Gearhead
  • '94 350 Bullet
Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 04:07:45 pm
Since you want to keep the tank mostly black, you could paint the oval inside the gold striping, around the badge, along with the thin area between the stripes white. If you wanted to get more white up there you might do the same for the area inside the striping at the top of the tank, but that might look odd....it might start looking like a cow.

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 12:35:42 am
Br. Darth, I go against the proverbial grain on this matter.  In an earlier post you wrote, as I paraphrase, that your bike looked very distinguished with just the mudguards (minding the King's English) painted in white.  Well, brother, I agree with your statement and add that the bike also looks very unique.  So, that's my sincere feedback to you, my friend.
Long live the Bullets and those who ride them!

Keep the shiny side up, the boots on the pegs and best REgards,

Papa Juan

REA:    Member No. 119
BIKE:   2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5
NAME: Perla

Darth Sid

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 02:04:56 am
Since you want to keep the tank mostly black, you could paint the oval inside the gold striping, around the badge, along with the thin area between the stripes white. If you wanted to get more white up there you might do the same for the area inside the striping at the top of the tank, but that might look odd....it might start looking like a cow.

You know, I was discussing that very same idea with my friend in the evening. I'll have to find out the cost of doing that on the existing paint. I guess it would involve masking like The Garbone (thanks) suggested. It might just be economically feasible. Thanks for the input.

2019 KTM 390 Duke
2022 RE Interceptor 650

Darth Sid

• Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 02:17:29 am
Br. Darth, I go against the proverbial grain on this matter.  In an earlier post you wrote, as I paraphrase, that your bike looked very distinguished with just the mudguards (minding the King's English) painted in white.  Well, brother, I agree with your statement and add that the bike also looks very unique.  So, that's my sincere feedback to you, my friend.

Br. Cruz, I believe I said the bike looks "distinctive" (and isn't it the Queen's English?  :P)

Coming from the owner of one pretty looking Bullet, your feedback means a lot. Thank you! Safe to say I'm on the right track, considering your approval.

Sid.

2019 KTM 390 Duke
2022 RE Interceptor 650

single

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: April 13, 2010, 02:28:31 am
You already have a sharp and distinctive ride.The fenders are fine but they need to be brought to blend in just a bit.Prehaps a stripe or double strip down the center,an English styling touch.Maybe an inch or so wide,same color as bike.You could do a fender wide radioused down quickly to the 1 inch.Something like that.The wide part would be at the front.I would probably do the tank striping over with white.You need some white accents like that.Do not get me wrong,I like what you have done so far,just bring it all together somehow.I want to say that whatever you do needs to come from your own mind,as it has so far.It does not hurt to search thru other customs,and not just REs.You could use colored tape to try ideas.Be sure to rub the tape on your pants leg to take away some of the adhesiveness.Good luck.

Darth Sid

• Bulleteer
Reply #10 on: April 13, 2010, 02:51:30 am
You already have a sharp and distinctive ride.The fenders are fine but they need to be brought to blend in just a bit.Prehaps a stripe or double strip down the center,an English styling touch.Maybe an inch or so wide,same color as bike.You could do a fender wide radioused down quickly to the 1 inch.Something like that.The wide part would be at the front.I would probably do the tank striping over with white.You need some white accents like that.Do not get me wrong,I like what you have done so far,just bring it all together somehow.I want to say that whatever you do needs to come from your own mind,as it has so far.It does not hurt to search thru other customs,and not just REs.You could use colored tape to try ideas.Be sure to rub the tape on your pants leg to take away some of the adhesiveness.Good luck.

Well, thank you! Another compliment from the owner of a sharp looking Bullet!

Blending the mudguards in with the rest of the bike is exactly what I'm trying to do. White lining on the tank and toolboxes is already on the list of possibilities.

I also considered a double stripe down the centre but didn't realize it's an English styling touch. I thought it was American, like the racing stripes on old muscle cars. It's really important that whatever styling features I add to my bike are fitting for a British bike. Ok, so stripes are back on the list.

I know it's difficult to describe some designs over the internet without a picture but can you elaborate on the bold part of your post?

2019 KTM 390 Duke
2022 RE Interceptor 650

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: April 13, 2010, 03:03:07 am
"... looks "distinctive" (and isn't it the Queen's English?"  :P)  Darth Sid

Well, Br. Darth, I thank you for the correction (distinctive v. distinguished)... you know that I tend to personalize these lovely Bullets!  Regarding the parenthetical comment, I am certain that the expression retains its masculinity, so to say, because of its origin -- The King's English: http://www.bartleby.com/116/

In any case and given my age, I plan to stick to The King's English, my brother!  :D

P.S. I believe your bike looks just great with the white bookends (the fenders, as in American English) holding all those black books (the forks, the casquette, the tank, the frame and the toolboxes).
Long live the Bullets and those who ride them!

Keep the shiny side up, the boots on the pegs and best REgards,

Papa Juan

REA:    Member No. 119
BIKE:   2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5
NAME: Perla

single

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: April 13, 2010, 03:13:02 am
Assuming you speak of the front part of the fender,you would have something like a spear point at the tip that would be quickly narrowed to the width of the stripe.I could easily draw this,but do not know how to doit here.The fender tip would be the tip of the "spear".The stripe would then kinda"flow" from this.Iprefer to use a radius on each side,less crude.'Course,never done it myself,but aleays wanted to do that on a bike with painted fenders.Triumph is the brand that did the fender stripe the most,I think.I particularly liked the silver fenders with a blue stripe.about 3/4 of an inch wide,I think it was,on a Bonneville.I believe the stripe ran down the center of the top of the tank,also.Just a nice little touch,kinda thing they were really good at.Sure wish I had one.Bonneville.Friend of mine rode one straight into a ditch at 80.Neck hit the handlebar cross support.Shoulda killed him.Neck looked like a balloon.Blue one.

Darth Sid

• Bulleteer
Reply #13 on: April 13, 2010, 03:19:40 am
I stand corrected.The King's English, it is. Maybe I ought to learn a thing or two from The King...

White bookends... That's an interesting way of putting it.

I think very rarely does a Bullet go unpersonalized. That's just the way the bike is, and the people who ride it. One develops a relationship with it.

2019 KTM 390 Duke
2022 RE Interceptor 650

Darth Sid

• Bulleteer
Reply #14 on: April 13, 2010, 03:22:38 am
Assuming you speak of the front part of the fender,you would have something like a spear point at the tip that would be quickly narrowed to the width of the stripe.I could easily draw this,but do not know how to doit here.The fender tip would be the tip of the "spear".The stripe would then kinda"flow" from this.Iprefer to use a radius on each side,less crude.'Course,never done it myself,but aleays wanted to do that on a bike with painted fenders.Triumph is the brand that did the fender stripe the most,I think.I particularly liked the silver fenders with a blue stripe.about 3/4 of an inch wide,I think it was,on a Bonneville.I believe the stripe ran down the center of the top of the tank,also.Just a nice little touch,kinda thing they were really good at.Sure wish I had one.Bonneville.Friend of mine rode one straight into a ditch at 80.Neck hit the handlebar cross support.Shoulda killed him.Neck looked like a balloon.Blue one.

Narrowed? Or, do you mean widened?

Radius? So, instead of a flat or sharp end to the stripe, give it a curved end?

2019 KTM 390 Duke
2022 RE Interceptor 650