Author Topic: Twin Spark write up and TV commercial  (Read 20630 times)

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: December 13, 2007, 04:43:39 pm
I have traveled in India long and often, from the mid 60s through '94.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #16 on: December 13, 2007, 05:22:47 pm
...(the new very retro bike)... and good things will happen to those that wait...

I believe...Oh How I BELIEVE!

OK, you keep dropping the hints and have got our attention.

We need some spy photos.

Let's take up a collection and send GreenMachine over there to do some reconnoitering for us.

Let's make this the forum to publish the first photos of that new (old) bad boy.

Who'll set up the PayPal account to collect his travel expenses?

Matt

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: December 13, 2007, 07:35:20 pm
Thumper: Keep me out of it..Aren't u at work???????
Oh Magoo you done it again

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #18 on: December 13, 2007, 10:25:20 pm
Sure they think about it at the factory, but it is about as far off as the odds of me getting bedded by Angelina Jolie. Could it happen - yes, will it happen - maybe, when.... no one knows,

Well you never know, you have a birthday coming up don't you? ;)

2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

LJRead

Reply #19 on: December 14, 2007, 05:39:06 am

couple of things; looks like they may be using new injection molding techniques like the Japanese.  The molded aluminum casings etc. were toy motorcycle looking, very Chinesey.

When I saw French versions of the bike, well and good - at least it looked polished, but this one just looks cheap. 

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #20 on: December 14, 2007, 02:13:17 pm
If you are looking for a cast iron engine even in India, better get it now. They are going to discontinue production for all markets including India this spring ( at least as of now).

As for spy photos, good luck. When I was at the factory this past Fall they have the bike housed in a very secure development lab. Frankly I have been going to the factory for 10 years and didn't know this set of rooms even existed. I wanted to take a picture in the office of the development guys and they wouldn't let me. Bear in mind this was no where near the bikes and I am a trusted soul there. This whole thing really surprised me. Usually everything there is open and transparent. I think they have done the right thing though so that they can introduce the new models when they are good and ready.

The CEO at REM is widely regarded at a marketing genius in Indian motorcycle circles and time will tell how the new stuff is received. There undoubtedly will be split opinions about them which is as it should be. I look forward to some spirited debate here. It will make for great conversations over a mug or two of the good stuff.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #21 on: December 14, 2007, 08:30:34 pm
Thumper: Keep me out of it..Aren't u at work???????

Yes, I'm at work. Always!

Well we need one of you guys that's been in India enough to slide in unobtrusively and snap a photo or two.

How about a forum member that lives there today --- Any volunteers?

JLR

• Scooter
Reply #22 on: December 27, 2007, 02:53:40 am
Well this presents a whole new problem for me. Do I ramp up my timeline for purchase so I can snap up an Iron engine from the last year of production, or hold out for the mysterious "Neo-Classic".  Having both will simply be out of the question, from a monetary and spousal view :)

Kevin Mahoney

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: December 27, 2007, 07:33:03 am
If it were me (heck it is me) I would snap up one of the last iron engine Bullets now. Then later if I liked the new Bullet I would sell the old one and get a new one. The old Bullet is real and right in front of us. The new Bullet is not real until it is sitting in your dealers showroom and that may be a while. Think of all the stuff the wife could hold over your head while you are waiting. Better strike while the iron is hot!!
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

fredgold52

• Grease Monkey
  • Macomb, IL Flatlands Rule
Reply #24 on: December 27, 2007, 10:43:20 am
That new Twinspark looks like a Honda Rebel 250.  Psuedo Chopper with plastic engine.  In a more classic frame with classic body work, and a polished alloy engine - it would be a whole different thing. 

JLR, I did snap up one of the remaining iron engined bikes.  And that was before I had seen this new one by Mattel.  Put the new LB with EFI in a classic chassis and you've got something.  But I'm sure RE knows that already.
2006 '65' and a 200cc Stella, Indian all the way

JLR

• Scooter
Reply #25 on: December 28, 2007, 05:48:20 am
RE 1: That is about what I was thinking. Knowing me I would be hesitant to ever part with it due being an final production year (in theory). Just hope I can still find one close (ha ha) to home when I can afford to. Thinking Rolla Mo. trip is in my future...unless I can luck out one in Tulsa area. I have time to plan as cash is short and dreams are long.

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #26 on: January 01, 2008, 12:25:00 pm
You are lucky to have two dealers not too far from SE Kansas.  I think the one in El DoradoSprings, MO was a dealer of the year once.   I bought mine from Ron's Cycleland in Tulsa.  Great bunch of guys, IMHO, but not your slick dealership type of place.  More old time motorcycle shop.  Of course you can't go wrong in Rolla with Slam D.

RE 1: That is about what I was thinking. Knowing me I would be hesitant to ever part with it due being an final production year (in theory). Just hope I can still find one close (ha ha) to home when I can afford to. Thinking Rolla Mo. trip is in my future...unless I can luck out one in Tulsa area. I have time to plan as cash is short and dreams are long.

JLR

• Scooter
Reply #27 on: January 03, 2008, 05:32:04 am
Leonard: Thanks for the info. I thought I had seen where you had gotten yours at Ron's. I need to take the time to make a trip to Tulsa and check it out. Wife thinks I need a dirtbike to learn on (and I tend to agree after reading alot of posts here). Never ridden before. Fortunatly I have access to her father and brothers that ride alot.
Eventually I hope we can link up and ride RE's. I've been to Salina only a couple of times, I rather enjoyed the drive once I got past Wichita. Had a friend that was going to a flight school there I believe.

Kevin Mahoney

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: January 03, 2008, 05:38:55 pm
DON'T RELY ON YOUR RELATIVES TO TEACH YOU HOW TO RIDE!!!
Go to a state sponsored safety training course. They are inexpensive and they provide the bike. You will learn things to keep yourself alive that no relative can ever teach you. You will be much better rider if you so this. Also most states will give you your motorcycle endorsement if you pass the course.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #29 on: January 03, 2008, 10:35:47 pm
JLR,
  I couldn't agree with Kevin more.  I'm sure your in-laws are competant riders but sometimes that doesn't translate to teaching.  Check out the Motorcycle Safety Foundation at http://www.msf-usa.org/.  It looks like there are a couple of classes down your way.
  Give me a shout if you ever get up this way, I'd be glad to show you my Bullet and should I get to the SE part of the state I'll let you know.
--Leonard