Author Topic: Twin Spark write up and TV commercial  (Read 20628 times)

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
on: December 11, 2007, 02:44:59 am
Has everyone seen this writeup and TV commercial about the new engine? http://www.vicky.in/straightfrmtheheart/pictorial-preview-of-royal-enfield-thunderbird-twinspark/t
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 04:29:20 pm
Has everyone seen this writeup and TV commercial about the new engine? http://www.vicky.in/straightfrmtheheart/pictorial-preview-of-royal-enfield-thunderbird-twinspark/t

Looks like your link is bad.

Truncated after ...twinspark/t     ?

Matt

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007, 08:21:30 pm
Just did it and it works just fine. When you get there look at the columns on the right for the re listings. There are some pretty funny write ups from Indian journalists, telling you not to taunt the hayabusa's.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

exiledcarper

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: December 11, 2007, 10:46:28 pm
I found the 500 AVL Machismo review, but nothing about the new unit EFi.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: December 11, 2007, 11:55:13 pm
http://www.vicky.in/straightfrmtheheart/pictorial-preview-of-royal-enfield-thunderbird-twinspark          If this dont work, go to left column and select "the silent grabber" at the bottom is a bunch of re stories that lead you there.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: December 11, 2007, 11:58:11 pm
Yeah that works, I cant tell if a link works until its too late and posted, Make sure you see  the commercial BIZZARE!

exiledcarper

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: December 12, 2007, 01:43:04 am
So the U.C.E. is alraedy available in 350cc form in India?  Carburated too......very interesting.  Sure is ugly in Thunderbird form though and no doubt we'll be forced to have that fuel injection bollocks here in the U.S, thanks to the wankers in the suits!  GET A REAL JOB GUYS!  Seeing a carburated version must give some hope to the tinkerers/wrench wallahs though.  Maybe you'll actually be able to tune/modify it (gasp!!)

bwilson17

Reply #7 on: December 12, 2007, 02:23:52 am
This link mentions Enfield studying the possibility of a large capacity twin for export -
http://www.vicky.in/straightfrmtheheart/royal-enfield-fuel-injection-engine/
« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 02:27:22 am by bwilson17 »

dewjantim

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8 on: December 12, 2007, 08:40:15 pm
Looks a lot like a nice little Honda to me......Dew.
If it hurts, you're not dead yet!!!!!

exiledcarper

• Bulleteer
Reply #9 on: December 12, 2007, 10:43:55 pm
I have to agree there Dew, but I suspect that that's what is going to be thrust upon us, with no real (classic) alternative availble in the not too distant future.  I think a lot depends on the domestic (India) demand for the classic Enfield motor, though I fear that the bike is viewed from a less nostalgic, rather  more utilitarian viewpoint over ther.  It seems the writing is not only on the wall, but covering it for what most enthusiats see as a real Enfield.  I guess I had better snap on e up when I can afford to, or maybe that BSA I'vwe always promised myself.

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #10 on: December 13, 2007, 03:38:09 am
There is a fair amount of disinformation in the articles cited. UCE is not available in India yet, It will be manufactured starting this Jan. Probably not for domestic consumption at first. Cast Iron Bullets are already dead in Europe including the UK, Lean-burn Only for this year in the IJK, some UCE's in other European countries, but they are UCE's stuffed into an Electra, The "Neo Classic" as it is known around the factory (the new very retro bike) is supposed to be ready for homologation by this fall. These schedules rarely work out to be accurate. Cast Iron Bullet available in US through 2008 (or until we run out - for those that are thinking about one = better get it now I'm not kidding, don't say you weren't warned). Production will stop this spring in India of the cast iron Bullet. We have bought ahead, but not for long. Twin cylinder is a figment of someones imagination. Sure they think about it at the factory, but it is about as far off as the odds of me getting bedded by Angelina Jolie. Could it happen - yes, will it happen - maybe, when.... no one knows, trust me there is NO research active at this time. Lastly the engine will be totally repairable at home, except for diagnosing the FI, which rarely gos wrong anyhow. Sensors go bad and it is very helpful to have the correct tool, but as always where there is a will there is a way.
Conclusion
Don't get your underwear in a bunch (I think this may be a uniquely American saying), the people at RE are not fools and good things will happen to those that wait. To be sure it won't be the cast iron engine, but I think at the end of the day things will be fine.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

indian48

• Bulleteer
Reply #11 on: December 13, 2007, 05:12:25 am
Living in India, I endorse most of what Kevin says. RE India is now run by a pretty savvy marketer, who knows that the company has to retain its distinct identity to survive. Remember that in India, this has been pretty easy to do,,,the mass market companies that make millions of bikes a year, make pretty insipid commuter bikes for fuel economy and low price. The largest bike is 225 cc, 90% are 100-125 cc. They will now start importing bikes above 800cc, below that, they are not allowed to import - so for us folks the largest bike currently available is the 500 cc Bullet.
Even the above 800cc permissions have just come in, the imports are still to start and will be very small numbers, very few can afford the cost or the fuel. And there are really no roads to run these bikes on, to be honest. But soon the mass makers will go up the capacity in the 400-600 cc range where there is now a lot of interest. And then RE India will have its first real challenge to maintain a niche for itself.
All of that - if RE is successful in meeting that challenge- should also be of benefit to RE fans globally, I'd think.
But for sure, I am going to buy myself a RE 350 cc cast iron engined, right shifting, 4 speed, front drum brake machine in black, before that gets stopped here in India. Somehow, I don't see that stopping for a long time though!
If anything is worth doing, it is worth doing well

indian48

• Bulleteer
Reply #12 on: December 13, 2007, 05:15:00 am
And I forgot to add to the spec - carburetted and with CB ignition!

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: December 13, 2007, 05:28:04 am
I cannot imagine India modernised. Scary thought - a trip without riding in an Ambassador - unthinkable... Or no cast Iron Bullets...  What is happening to the world.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

indian48

• Bulleteer
Reply #14 on: December 13, 2007, 09:54:01 am
I can see that you know India well! When and for how long were you here?