Author Topic: New Electra losing oil.  (Read 6660 times)

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
on: April 03, 2010, 08:00:44 pm
Got back from my ride and was just looking the bike over and spotted a couple of oil drops on the garage floor. Closer inspection showed the oil level on min, and general oiliness underneath, and all over the back of the centre stand and along the top of the right swing arm (think that's what it's called). No obvious drips from anywhere, and no sign of any drips where the bike's been standing. I've only done 120 miles from new, and the oil level was at max to start. I was kind of hoping these new engines were free of the old brit bike oil problem.....
It's under warranty of course, but I'm crestfallen nonetheless.
Anyone else having or had this problem?
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 08:36:23 pm
Br. Wilw  

By all means do have the dealer get a good look at your new steed but don't loose hart just yet.

The crank case breathing system on the AVL and late Iron Barrels is vented from the oil tank and timing chest sections of the crank case.

The Earlier Iron Barrels were vented high up on the on the left  side of the crank case just below the cylinder.

Due to the revised venting its much easier for these later engines to expel oil and oil vapor until the rings seat.

Even when fully run in some engines when filled to the full mark still expel oil until the level is where that particular engine wants it ( no two are alike )

« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 08:40:09 pm by Ice »
No matter where you go, there, you are.

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 10:26:05 pm
Hmmmm... Seems an awful lot of oil to lose so fast. This is the last twenty or so miles. No oil on surfaces or drop in level for the first hundred. Can't see where it's coming out of but the drain plug doesn't seem like the culprit judging by the spread. Not blowing out the exhasut either I don't think.

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 04:36:02 am
These new bikes are very well designed and made as compared to older models that leaked oil no matter what you did.  The drop in oil level from Max to Min on the window is relatively small, approximately 250 ml.  Add more oil to bring the level to Max.  Use same oil that the dealer had added to your bike.  RE Manual suggests Motul 15W-50 semi-synthetic motorcycle oil.  

Wipe off all the oily surfaces underneath. And check that the Oil Drain plug is tight (I think you did not see anything there).  Check Suction Screen plate is tight - it is on the right side underneath - a diamond shaped plate across from the drain plug.  Here is a link to the pictures -

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,5148.0.html

Finally check the Primary Chain Tensioner assembly nuts are tight. It is on the left hand side of engine, almost at level with gear shifter lever.

Ride the bike and see if the oil level remains the same or falls or if there is a leak. How and when you 'measure' oil level, after riding the bike and putting on the centre stand,  may give different levels.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 03:41:35 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 09:58:58 am
Thanks for the detailed input guys, and for the link to the oil change thread - now saved for future ref.
It was getting dark when I got back and noticed the oil level drop, but I'd planned a thorough inspection this morning. Thanks for the step-by-step notes Singh.
I'll report back with what I find....

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 12:52:33 pm
Seems to be coming from the back of the engine, right hand side, where the kickstart shaft goes in. I can see a bit of gasket hanging down and flapping about in there. Haven't worked out how to post a picture here, but I've put a fairly clear photo here:
www.monkeyselbow.co.uk
I noticed oil pooling where the rear brake pedal meets its stop, and there was a patch on the ground under the lowest part of the chain at rest. A lot of spattering on the rear wheel rim and spokes, presumably from the chain, but didn't occur for first 100 miles.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #6 on: April 04, 2010, 01:15:11 pm
That gasket does look suspicious to me.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: April 04, 2010, 06:44:55 pm
I take your point, Singh, about variable oil level readings according to where the bike is put on centre stand - very small variations in ground level make a significant difference to what shows in the oil level window. I cleaned up the bike and went for a ride, and the problem doesn't seem to have repeated. Oil level the same and no oil showing on any surfaces. I'm delighted of course, but how bizarre. Perhaps I'm just a long way out of touch with the idiosyncracies of motorcycles - it is alive after all, I'm beginning to realise..... Ice - you tried to tell me....
But that hanging bit of gasket is bothering me. Perhaps they just used a gasket designed for a slightly different shaped part? I'd be obliged if some kind soul could have a look under their bike and tell me if they've got the same  -  you have to look up under where the kickstart shaft goes.
(I'm trusting I'll become less obsessional as I bond with my bike)   :-\

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: April 04, 2010, 09:41:11 pm
I take your point, Singh, about variable oil level readings according to where the bike is put on centre stand - very small variations in ground level make a significant difference to what shows in the oil level window. I cleaned up the bike and went for a ride, and the problem doesn't seem to have repeated. Oil level the same and no oil showing on any surfaces. I'm delighted of course....   

But that hanging bit of gasket is bothering me.     ........

Will:

Yes, the gasket is bothersome. It appears to be the gasket for breather chamber cover plate.  Since breather chamber gets only a bit of oil here and there, so that might explain why you did not lose all the oil and only a small volume was lost.  Secondly, when you ran the bike just now, there may not be too much oil splashing into the breather chamber so you do not see much change in oil level in the window.

As long as there is enough oil in the window, the bike is rideable.  BUT it needs a visit to the dealer to reposition the gasket. 

I am taking some pictures of my bike and will post them here for you to review.
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: April 04, 2010, 10:36:43 pm
Here are the pictures -.

The FIRST picture is WillW's motorcycle, he had posted on 'monkeyselbow.co.uk' site.

The SECOND picture is my G5.

1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: April 04, 2010, 10:52:24 pm
WillW, You had mentioned that you don't know how to attach pictures - Here is what I do - 

Click on Additional Options...,     on the left side, just below the white box where you type your text.

It will expand into another option of Attach ___________________ Browse...

Click on 'Browse'...   that will open a new window of folders and files in your computer and you can select one you need.

If you want to attach more than one picture, click on (more attachments) and a second 'Browse' space will open up.  There is only a limited space about 3 to 4 pictures only per post, unless you adjust your camera to take pictures of fewer pixels.  
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 10:54:34 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: April 04, 2010, 11:07:02 pm
Thank you Singh for taking the trouble to take a picture - and explaining how to post pics here.
I have another 150 miles before the first service is due, but perhaps I'll take the bike in early to get that gasket fixed and restore peace of mind.
All the best,
Will

billy2sheds

• Scooter
Reply #12 on: April 05, 2010, 12:10:34 pm
hi willw i have just had a look at my efi,and yes there is a bit of gasket hanging down ,only mine is hanging loose about four inches long,i have had no oil loss.i am due a service very soon so that will go on my list of issues ie oil leak between barrel and head,plus engine dies at tickover now and again. regards bill

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: April 05, 2010, 04:45:13 pm
Hey Bill,  now that's interesting. I guess our bikes came from the same batch huh?
Now either they used a bunch of gaskets which were not quite right but which would do the job ok, or the gasket blows out under some kind of pressure, or the same slacker who assembled my bike also assembled yours.....
The fact that you haven't lost any oil from it, and that I only lost oil on one occasion, leads me to make a connection I didn't make previously. The ride when I lost the oil was the same ride as when I dropped the bike onto its right side. I was stationary and lost balance and the bike wound up resting on the brake pedal I guess - not so far that I couldn't haul it back up with a bit of brute force and cussing, but far enough maybe to allow oil to get into that part of the engine - the breather chamber apparently. This is the only thing I can think of to explain the oil leak only happening once. At least it led to the discovery of the dodgy gasket
Mine too gets a little lumpy ticking over sometimes, but nothing bothersome. Let me know what the service guy says about the gasket  - I'm probably going to wait until I've done the three hundred miles before I take mine in.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 05:04:23 pm by WillW »

billy2sheds

• Scooter
Reply #14 on: April 05, 2010, 07:39:41 pm
300 miles for first service,my guy said its 500 ,although i don't have a user manual yet guy said he can't find it.anyway while on my hands and knees looking at the gasket there was a little oil stain below the kickstart spindle just a little oil that has dried on the casing,so as you say maybe oil has got somwhere it shoudn't have.i will keep you informed about mine .regarding the lack of user manual my bike was preowned i bought it with 285 miles on the clock 11 months old.  regards bill