Author Topic: Vacuum Leak  (Read 5025 times)

Roger

on: November 11, 2007, 02:23:16 am
For some time I have suspected there maybe a slight vacuum leak in the line that runs for the block in front of the carburettor and the vacuum pump located in the left hand tool box.

I initially blocked the tube at the carburettor end; I felt this action improved the ability of the engine to idle more reliably. I later noted the small diameter steel tube in the block in front of the carburettor was also slightly loose and while I felt that any leak from here would be very minor I decided to remove the tube altogether.

The tube looked as though it was originally glued in place with some sort of epoxy cement as once removed it was quite loose when placed back into the blocked. (See attached photo)

I tapped a tread (I used an M5x0.8 tap) into the block where the tube was removed, and fitted a suitable length screw after coating the thread with sealing compound. I had some Loctite Power Gasket on hand so I used that.

I removed the plastic tube and the air pump in the tool box, as well the braided line that runs to the exhaust header.

Roger

[old attachment deleted by admin]

mbevo1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Mike and Stumpy
Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 01:23:21 pm
When I removed the PAV, I put a dap of JB weld in the hole.  Nice and smooth, no leaks.

Mike and Stumpy in Michigan
'07 Classic - Stumpy
'10 C5 Military - Sherman

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 06:20:52 pm
I'm just about to do away with the PAV as I have a shorter, less restrictive exhaust coming that has a new header pipe too which has no welded-in PAV takeoff boss   :)
Any tips (apart from the JB-WELD) to removing all this clutter?
If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin

Ofcalipka

• Just enjoying the ride.
  • Bulleteer
  • Thumping through the Aloha State
Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 07:08:14 pm
I did this modification.  Just remove all the bits of the PAV.  Close up the hole on the intake like Roger detailed and put a rubber vacuum plug on the point where you remove the other end of the PAV line.
"There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot." - Steven Wright

2005 Royal Enfeild Bullet 500 Military,
2006 HD Springer softail 1450,
1980 Puch Maxi,
1995 Ural 650
1978 Peugeot 103 SP
2000 BMW R 1150 RT P

Wahiawa,  HI

Roger

Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 10:11:11 am
Right after I removed the PAV and the associated plumbing I went for a ride to see if there were any problems, I knew there wouldn't be but I just like riding my RE. I got about a mile down the road and the heavens opened up. It is that time of year here when showers persist (quite heavy ones at times) right up until summer starts. I high tailed it back home and by the time I got the garage door opened I was soaked.

Roger

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #5 on: December 08, 2007, 02:16:14 am
Your on the right track, don't forget to do the jetting, its mandatory cmw has the parts.Average sizes go like 130 main and like a 29.5 pilot. Don't even start the bike to hear the new pipe before doing this,thats how lean it will be with the stock jets. Instant blue pipe...
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: December 09, 2007, 11:17:32 am
What are the stock main and pilot then please?

Ducati 916 'L' twin

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #7 on: December 10, 2007, 04:33:51 am
Stock main in a 500 is 110 and pilot in same is a 25
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: December 10, 2007, 08:22:45 pm
Thanks Kevin!

Ducati 916 'L' twin