Author Topic: Would you pay $20,000 for Harley Davidson Sportster ?  (Read 9344 times)

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #30 on: April 04, 2010, 10:23:10 pm
  It sounds like you rode the XL883 Custom. They come with forward foot controls and foot pegs. I don't care for the forward controls.My Sportster is an XL883, which is the "standard" models.

jon

Jon:

You are right on - it was Custom 883, dual seat.  I did not feel very comfortable with controls - too far in front for my legs.  Do you know if the foot pegs and controls on Sportster can be moved back enough to sit straight upright - like a standard motorcycle such as RE or Bonneville ?

1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

birdmove

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #31 on: April 05, 2010, 04:16:27 am
Jon:

You are right on - it was Custom 883, dual seat.  I did not feel very comfortable with controls - too far in front for my legs.  Do you know if the foot pegs and controls on Sportster can be moved back enough to sit straight upright - like a standard motorcycle such as RE or Bonneville ?

Yes you can. The now discontinued XL883 (like mine), XL883R,XL1200R, and the current XL883 Low and XL1200 Low all have the standard mid foot pegs and foot controls, and they will fit on the models with the forwards on them.I should mention that I tsts rode a Custom model that the previous owner had removed the forwards and installed the mid controls, and I liked that setup way better.The Sportsters are very good motorcycles. They went fuel injected for 2007-that,s why I bought a 2006. I prefer a carb.If you looked at all the crap the fuel injected models (of all makes) have stuffed up inside the gas tanks you might prefer a carb too.

jon

jon
Jon in Keaau, Hawaii

rideOn

• Grand Gearhead
  • And on the eighth day, God said...."Let's Ride."
'82 gs850gl
'08 v-star 650 classic

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #33 on: April 09, 2010, 01:18:13 am
Harleys are not for everyone, never have been.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #34 on: April 09, 2010, 01:46:48 am
I like some Harleys.
They have a certain appeal.
I think the standard Sportster and the XR Sportster appeal to me more than the big ones.

I think Harley might be in for some tough times ahead. Their bikes are expensive, and they have played out the "chopper-esque" styling to the nth degree.
I'm certainly tired of that look. It's all over the road, and even the Japanese bikes look like that. "Trite" would be an understatement.

I think if I was to get a Harley, I'd probably buy a used carbureted 883, and do a customizing job on it to look like an XR750.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 01:55:00 am by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

roberte

• Commander Bullet
  • Scooter
  • "I've got a bad feeling about this..."
Reply #35 on: April 16, 2010, 05:52:23 pm
Definitely a fun bike to ride. I had one for about a year in NYC. I had to garage it at night because I was afraid it would get stolen. Parts were a problem--I don't think Harley's ever heard of denominations less than $100. The last straw was when I found out I needed a jack to change a flat.

stipa

• Grease Monkey
Reply #36 on: April 17, 2010, 05:14:37 pm
I have a 1974 Ironhead I ride a little and work on a lot;  in need of lots of TLC at this point.  Fun to ride, (short distances), dripping with attitude, solidly built, (tractor-like), but getting hard to find parts for.  The new ones, with their belt drives, electronic throttles, and MoCo-inspired image, don't do much for me though.  Kind of like tattoos, if anybody and everybody has one, do yoiu really want one too?

DNash

• Idiot
  • Bulleteer
  • '01 Military - "Rocinante"
Reply #37 on: April 17, 2010, 09:46:43 pm
I think that if I had that kind of money to spend on a bike, I'd be doing something ridiculous like trying to build a Vincent out of VOC Spares Company parts.

...actually, $20k probably wouldn't cover that. I'd have to settle for a Meteor, or maybe a double-plus nice Bullet Fireball.