Author Topic: Would you pay $20,000 for Harley Davidson Sportster ?  (Read 9337 times)

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Finally Harley Davidson has set up shop in India and are booking orders for bikes for delivery in June.  They have an interesting Indian website.  Here is what I found out.

They have only five dealers in the whole country, one in each of these five big cities - Delhi, Bombay, Bangalore, Hyderabad and Chandigarh. HD will sell 12 models.  What is so shocking is the PRICE of these bikes.  They have to pay heavy excise duty that shoots prices through the roof.  Here is a list of approximate prices in US dollars in two countries.  

Model                           Price in India (US$)              Price in USA (US$)

Sportster 883                    $15,000                                $8,000

Sportster 1200                  $21,000                              $10,000

Dyna street bob                 $29,000                              $13,000

Softail fat boy                    $38,000                               $17,000

Touring road king               $43,000                              $17,000

COMPARE THAT TO RE CLASSIC 500 or C5

RE Classic 500                    $2,600                               $6,400

Do you think people in India would buy HD at these prices, when they can buy a RE classic 500 or a Nano car for approximately $2600 ?  Or is it a bad venture for HD unless they start manufacturing there ?

« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 07:27:14 am by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 09:23:59 am
Br. singhg5,
 I do not believe it will be the average blue collar Indian buying those H-D's.
I do believe the affluent who can afford them will rave about them to their peers while the average guy shakes his head at the waste of fuel and money.

No matter where you go, there, you are.

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 11:16:54 am
  I shake my head at disbelief at the prices here anyway.  They've become a toy for the rich.  While the average person rides something less costly.  Sure an Enfield C5/G5 is in roughly the same price range as a Sportster but the Sporty is running an ancient design engine.  Nothing really new in over 50 years.  Even though it only has half the engine size of the Sporty, the Enfield is at least trying to keep pace with new designs.

The only new design by H-D recently has been the V-Rod.  But that's out of price range for comparison.  And it's a Porsche designed engine and trans package, so you really can't call it American Iron.

I have had H-D's in the past.  But were purchased as fixer uppers.  Will probably rebuild another in the future..but even the cost of that is becoming prohibitive.  And it's getting hard to find NOS parts for the older machines.

As Ice said even here it's more the well off than the blue collar buying them a lot of times.   
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 12:54:17 pm
No.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 04:42:54 pm
Br. Sing, keep the Sporty and pass the C5, please.   ;)
Long live the Bullets and those who ride them!

Keep the shiny side up, the boots on the pegs and best REgards,

Papa Juan

REA:    Member No. 119
BIKE:   2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5
NAME: Perla

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 05:35:49 pm
I can't remember the article to reproduce here, but in essence it stated that India has many millionares and the number continuous to grow.
That stated, its my observation that many countries do not have a middle class.
You are  either rich or your poor( I'm not talking about a 300 lbs person that drives a 10 year old car like you see in the States) dirt poor , someone that makes less then a $ 1 an hour an really lives in a tin/cardboard shack and gets up and goes to work.
If you are poor, you will not be able to purchase an RE, even in India. If you are rich , then a H-D might be something you want .
Currently our middle class is struggling to survive.There are many reasons , that might be anther good thread , but I' ll spare you the boredom.
So to answer your question ,No I don't see a H-D in my future,mainly because of the high price, and next due to the stigma of being a fat rich retied accountant  wearing leathers with package creases,and  drags his feet at stop lights.
H-D has become very undesirable to me. No thanks H-D.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

GBBullet

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 07:07:06 pm
I ride both a Bullet iron barrel and an HD and they both have their uses.  If I am running to a job site and have to take the Eway, better believe that I'm on my Softtail. If I'm going trout fishing up in the mountains, chances are I'm on my Bullet.  Oh, I'm not a retired accountant or fat, and I ride my bike to trailer week.
2007 HD Softtail Custom
2008 RE Bullet 500 Deluxe (Iron Barrel)

PaulF

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 07:13:08 pm
Currently our middle class is struggling to survive.There are many reasons , that might be anther good thread , but I' ll spare you the boredom.

What middle class? We are all just government wards of the Obama vision now, (I'd better watch what I say since free speech is now outlawed here in the US). >:(

That being said, no. I wouldn't pay 20K for anything with two wheels when I payed less than that for my SUV brand new.

Rick Sperko

• Grand Gearhead
  • Milwaukee, WI
Reply #8 on: April 01, 2010, 07:24:32 pm
What middle class? We are all just government wards of the Obama vision now, (I'd better watch what I say since free speech is now outlawed here in the US). >:(

Now I remember why I don't frequent the Campfire Talk. Even in an innocuous HD thread. I will go back to the technical forums now.

-Rick
Rick in Milwaukee, WI

'06 RE Bullet Classic Iron
'63 VW Beetle Ragtop (also classic)
'66 Chris Craft Cavalier Cutlass 26'
'02 BMW R1150R

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #9 on: April 01, 2010, 08:14:32 pm
Oh, I'm not a retired accountant or fat, and I ride my bike to trailer week.
I was referring to the  stereo type clone poser, complete with grimith face ,and attitude, by the way I have ridden a custom v twin , great feel above 45 mph.
 I don't care for the direction H-D marketing went , but hey, they  have sold a ton of H-D's, so what do I know?
GB you have my apologies,I enjoy people for who they are , not what they can afford to ride.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

PaulF

• Grease Monkey
Reply #10 on: April 01, 2010, 08:21:16 pm
Now I remember why I don't frequent the Campfire Talk. Even in an innocuous HD thread. I will go back to the technical forums now.

-Rick

Sorry Rick. I just couldn't resist a political poke. I will restrain myself.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #11 on: April 01, 2010, 09:12:09 pm
Well, the Harley is more expensive in India, and the RE is more expensive in the US.

I suppose that by the time the shipping halfway around the world is figured-in, along with whatever duties and taxes and other issues get included, it's probably normal.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

single

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: April 01, 2010, 09:43:06 pm
I would not pay that much for anything because I would have to finance it and that is no longer possible.I would buy a Harley in a New York minute if I could, however.If I did not like the ride,I would just polish and admire.But I have ridden them,and I liked.I only ride the RE as I believe I will be happier with it that way,I stay off other bikes.

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: April 02, 2010, 01:33:52 am
A use for an H-D ..... an anchor.  8)

GBBullet

• Scooter
Reply #14 on: April 02, 2010, 02:24:10 am
I was referring to the  stereo type clone poser, complete with grimith face ,and attitude, by the way I have ridden a custom v twin , great feel above 45 mph.
 I don't care for the direction H-D marketing went , but hey, they  have sold a ton of H-D's, so what do I know?
GB you have my apologies,I enjoy people for who they are , not what they can afford to ride.

No offense taken there is room for everyone on the ride or on the road
2007 HD Softtail Custom
2008 RE Bullet 500 Deluxe (Iron Barrel)