Author Topic: Hello There  (Read 10305 times)

hawk89gt

• Scooter
Reply #15 on: April 05, 2010, 02:14:44 am
Hey there Sandgroper.  Thanks for the great reply.  Since you said that it was an interceptor, I actually remember the guy I bought it from might have said that.  Thanks for the info!

rotorwrench

• Bulleteer
Reply #16 on: April 05, 2010, 06:50:32 pm
There might be a couple of things to consider on this problem. First could be the scavenge pump is not properly pumping back to the oil reservoir as you have already considered a possibility. The second is that the scavenge port in the bottom of the crankcase is plugged with sludge or who knows what.

You can check for oil return by looking at the standpipe that is visible in the filler cap opening. You should see oil gushing out the pipe while it's running. If no, you will have to start the process of investigation that will most likely require removal of the timing cover to see if the oil pump spindle is turning with the worm on the end of the crankshaft. If the oil pumps are OK then you will have to clear the crankcase oil sump passage to see if it is open or not. I don't think there is a drain for the bottom of the crankcase but I'm not sure on the later Interceptor motors. I'll have to check

Kerby

PS: Your YB engine number indicates the motor is a 1965 Mark I or series I (whichever you prefer) Interceptor or Galaxy model. The Galaxy or Custom Interceptor model as it is sometimes refered, for USA import market, had a single carburettor and the Interceptor model had the dual carb set up. The PC prefix motor is listed as one manufactured for AMC in 1960. If your bike is titled as a 1959 by the frame number then the motor may have been from another bike. If it is a 60 model, it may be original. Only the Royal Enfield Club in the UK can tell you for sure.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 07:13:49 pm by rotorwrench »

hawk89gt

• Scooter
Reply #17 on: April 05, 2010, 08:17:08 pm
Wow, thanks for the great information on the motors.  The bike is indeed titled as a 1959 Royal Enfield Indian Chief, so perhaps as you say it isn't the original motor I have after all.  I will followup with the UK club to see what I can find out.  As for tthe YB engine, the seller said it was a 1965 and I actually think he mentioned Interceptor even though the ad said Super Meteor.  It does have the dual carbs on it.

Is there a registry for the motors?  How/where were you able to look up the motor numbers?

Also, thanks for the info on troubleshooting the oil issue.  That will be very helpful.  I'll start looking into that this evening if time permits.

hawk89gt

• Scooter
Reply #18 on: April 05, 2010, 10:31:03 pm
Well Kerby, you pointed me in the right direction, nothing coming out of the tube under the fill cap at all! 

Next step will as you said, probably involve removing the timing cover.  I may take a look at the 700 first as I have it out and it is fairly close to the same design.  I do not see a drain on the case, so there is not much I can do to drain it out.

Time to hit the manuals, and open it up to see what I got.

Thanks again for the help.

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: April 05, 2010, 11:01:59 pm
Let me know your email and I'll send you a copy of the Indian numbers..  ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

rotorwrench

• Bulleteer
Reply #20 on: April 06, 2010, 12:42:14 am
You can check Burtons Bike Bits site for some interceptor information. Otherwise you will have to check out a list made by a member of the Royal Enfield Owners Club of North America many years ago. I think ERC has the same dope on engine numbers as I do. Frame number on your steering head will get you more information from the REOC/UK about when your bike was made and what distributor it was originally shipped out to. Most likely Brockhouse if it was a 1959 but may have been AMC.

The late 700cc oiling system is basically the same as the series I and 1A 750 Interceptors so have a good look at the old Chief motor. I have an old series I Interceptor engine case stripped down so if you need help with the passage ways in the case just let me know. Oh! I wouldn't get too worried about having the original engine for the bike if it's not. None of mine have the original engines either. My 1958 Trailblazer has a 1959 Apache motor.

Kerby
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 12:52:33 am by rotorwrench »

Gregorin

• Scooter
  • My Baby.
Reply #21 on: August 04, 2010, 07:12:50 am
Ufff... ,it's old machine and I think you must bee cool to get this bike to good condition. But is very nice bike.   ;)