Author Topic: Rear brake issue on new Electra  (Read 3589 times)

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
on: March 31, 2010, 09:42:34 am
Rain and gales lash the southwest UK and running in the new bike is on hold. Nevertheless I can't stay away from it and so have been tinkering about getting more familiar with what goes where and does what. I noticed while riding at the weekend that the rear brake was virtually useless, and assumed this was simply the nature of these old drum brakes. But hard pressure on the pedal while on the centre stand met with initial resistance, then it went way down low and stayed there. I then realized the adjuster at the end of the rod was wound way back near the end of the rod, so I adjusted it back until there was actual braking with light pressure - about an inch of pedal movement. But to achieve this, the adjuster is now wound pretty much all the way to the inner end of the threads on the rod. There may be room for a bit more ongoing adjustment, but not very much. Is this right on a new machine? I'd have expected it to be somewhere around the middle.
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 11:12:06 am
  Possibly the actuator was installed at the wrong angle during assenmbly.  If it's angled too far forward that would leave you less adjustment range.  And leave you pretty much where you are now.

Will.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

Marrtyn

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 12:28:39 pm
My brake adjuster nut is virtually at the free end of the brake rod. I stood the bike on the centre stand turned the nut until the brake bound on the drum, then slacked off until free, and checked the amount of pedal movement required to brake efficiently. There may be a touch of drum/shoe contact, not much at all to cause me concern.
I don't think the brake pedal/operation is one of the G5s good points.
It sounds as though there may have been an assembly fault, if your nut is at the other end of the rod!!

clubman

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 12:40:48 pm
When I collected by new bike the dealer said the rear brake lever had rather more travel than he would have liked but see how I get on with it. I thought it was pretty OK. Then I adjusted the chain at 450 miles and when I retightened the adjuster nut to where it was before the back wheel wouldn't turn. In order to achieve a setting where the brake wasn't binding there was so much travel at the lever that it was fouling the exhaust. Obviously this was raised at the 500 mile service and they had the back wheel off and found the shoes weren't seating correctly. Actually, the dealer said "be careful of the back brake - it works now!" when I collected it and he was right. It's a decent brake when set up right. I would recommend you ask your dealer to have a look too. Remember it's under warranty!

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 01:12:37 pm
Thanks for the replies guys. I also notice that when the brake is applied the lever is very nearly up against the wheel nut, so something's been set up wrong. I've informed the dealer and will get it seen to when the bike goes in for its first service  in a couple of hundred miles, so not long, assuming the gales and rain let up soon....
thanks again,
Will

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 01:56:53 pm
If you need to brake hard to avoid a mishap, I think it prudent to have that brake fixed now. What good is the service in 200 miles if you've crashed due to poor braking?

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 02:22:08 pm
Quick update.

I changed the angle of the actuator lever on the splined shaft, which has cured the problem. Thanks Will Blackwolf, you were spot on.
PhilJ - such concerns are what prompted me to look closer rather than wait. Thanks.

Looking closer and fixing it - old disciplines gone rusty. But I'm onto it!

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: March 31, 2010, 06:37:25 pm
  Thought that might have been the culprit..my wifes '06 Electra had the same set-up problem from the factory.  About thirty minutes fixed the problem.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Victory V92SC
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

billy2sheds

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: March 31, 2010, 06:52:39 pm
my 09 enfields rear brake is the same,lots of travel in the peddle.i need to put 30 more miles on the clock for first service 500 miles. i will let the dealer sort it,same as you waiting for bad weather to pass. ;D

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: March 31, 2010, 11:46:46 pm
Good for you WillW, old, old Blackwolf has been pretty accurate.

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: April 01, 2010, 01:24:02 am
  Just lucky..but I believe with the crew here one of us has seen every problem at least once.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Victory V92SC
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.