Author Topic: Clutch Drag  (Read 2756 times)

clubman

• Grease Monkey
on: March 30, 2010, 01:21:00 pm
I've happened to start the bike on the centre stand a couple of times recently and noticed on both occasions that the rear wheel turned. So my diagnosis is clutch drag. Is this normal for the G5? Is it anything to worry about? And how would I stop it? Sorry if I sound really stupid!  :-[

motomataya

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 01:32:16 pm
Its normal for the rear wheel to spin with the motor running and the bike on the center stand. There is always a small amount of friction between the spinning parts. With the wheels on the ground if the bike wants to pull forward you are getting into clutch drag.

Rusty

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 01:34:10 pm
It won’t be clutch drag if the bike is in neutral on the mainstand.

It’s just the viscosity of the engine oil managing to create enough drag within the engine to turn the gearbox output shaft, the gearbox sprocket and rear wheel. You should find it happens less when the engine is hot, if the clutch is working ok in normal use it’s nothing to worry about…they all do it.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 01:36:46 pm
It's common, don't worry about it :)
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

clubman

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 02:06:28 pm
Really quick and helpful responses! Thanks!   :)

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 04:56:02 pm
Really quick and helpful responses! Thanks!   :)
As everybody has pointed out, it is OK.  Here is a video of my G5 - the rear wheel turns when bike is started and is on centre stand.  I purposely recorded and posted it that way !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HV_K5O25w6A
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5