Author Topic: Recommend good saddlebags for electra?  (Read 8667 times)

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
on: March 30, 2010, 05:09:05 pm
Can someone recommend some decent throwover panniers for my new electra? I dont want to spend a whole arm and leg on them. I've been looking at Oxford First Time 48 litre panniers and similar, and the Royal Enfield ones look pretty good. I just need something for weekend trips away, or to throw a couple of six packs in to bring home from the local shop. Something easily removed.
But all of these seem as though they will obstruct at least the handle for pulling the bike onto the centre stand, and maybe the rear suspension?
Or would a rear carrier be better, with a holdall bunjied on as necessary?
Any tips from experienced travellers gratefully received.

Weather has turned foul here in the southwest UK. I'll get a pic posted as soon as the sun comes back.....
Cheers all,
Will
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 06:16:55 pm
.............    But all of these seem as though they will obstruct at least the handle for pulling the bike onto the centre stand, and maybe the rear suspension?
Or would a rear carrier be better, with a holdall bunjied on as necessary? ........
Cheers all,
Will

Hello Will:

Electra needs a bracket to keep mounted saddle bags out of way of rear wheel.

The second option is rear carrier, which is cheaper than the combined total of bracket + saddle bags.  Neither one is easy to remove once attached to frame / seat.  

The third option is a seat bag that you can put on the rear seat - this is easy to strap and quick to remove. I have a rear seat backrest that supports the bag quite well.  But the difficulty is swinging your leg over it or bending leg at the knee when trying to sit on the bike.  I have one of those and here is a link to a picture.

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=2708

The fourth way to carry stuff on bike is to use bungee net or cargo net.  They are flexible, easy to use and remove but not as strong and safe as saddle bag or rear carrier. I use them occasionally for light weight and flat bottom stable or unbreakable  items.

Bottom line is - more stable/stronger system is harder to attach / remove from bike vs less stable/weaker system which is easier to attach / remove from bike.

PS - If you use bracket or rear carrier, the handle for pulling the bike to centre stand can be attached - may be at an angle of about 70 degree. As you can see in the picture above, I have a rear seat backrest that slightly obstructs the handle. Now I like the 70 degree angle of handle better than the original 90 degree angle because when I take my bike off the stand, the pulling force is up and forward (vector) that makes it easier.  To pull the bike onto centre stand, I use the backrest bar.  So if you mount a bracket or rear carrier, you will find a spot on the bars that gives good grip and lift to the bike.  

« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 06:24:51 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 09:30:59 am
Thank you for your comprehensive feedback.
You make some enlightening points Singhg - the issue of difficulty swinging the leg over the seat when using a rear seat bag would'nt have occurred to me until too late.
Bend AND swing....?  No chance for this old boy.....
I figured brackets may be necessary to avoid unwanted contact with moving parts when using throwovers - I saw some ok looking minimalist chrome brackets online somewhere which may not look too intrusive if left on between longer voyages. And I take your point about a rear carrier or the brackets providing an alternative handle for hauling the bike onto its stand. Good idea. I can get it off the stand while astride, but not yet on to the stand - a bit short in the leg...
I'll get out and have a look at these Crampsters Martyn. If they're the same as the ones on the UK Royal Enfield site they look ok, if a little bulky. I had my eye on them as a possibility, a bit pricy if brackets are necessary but what the hell  -  a little deeper in to the credit card co wont be noticed....

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 01:33:29 pm
They were chrome side spacers which caught my eye, but on second look seem to be specific to various other bikes.
I saw them at www.getgeared.co.uk  (look under LUGGAGE then SIDE SPACERS etc)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 01:36:00 pm by WillW »

davem

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 10:39:17 pm
Marrtyn/WillW
                       Have look at the chrome electra brackets (style 1) $49.95 on this site.I bought a pair,after postage and import duty the price wasn:t too bad and they look  good.

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 04:26:00 am
One of our respected contributors, Eamon recommends 'Cramstors".
He rides an Iron Barrel Deluxe. Maybe he will chime in. Here's a web site.
http://www.cramster.in/prod_stallion.php

2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 08:32:14 am
That chrome setup definitely looks the business. Thanks for pointing that out Davem  -  there it was under my nose on this very site all the time!!  I really do have an extraordinary capacity for overlooking the blindingly obvious....
I think the search is over, but YIKES  -  have you seen the exchange rate?!

(gulp.....excuse me mr mastercard......I think I've done another bad thing.....)

blueberry

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: April 02, 2010, 12:59:52 am
I have the chrome brackets and Willie and Max slant bags on my 08 Electra.that came from the catalog. They are not the biggest but they go well with the RE. I also have a chrome rack and have a big tool bag on it.
Ride Safe, Blueberry
2008 Electra
1985 Honda 250 Rebel
1970 Honda SL90

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: April 02, 2010, 09:23:49 am
Those are nice looking bags.
Why are the plain black brackets twenty dollars more than the chrome bracket and rack set up d'you think? 

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: April 02, 2010, 11:19:13 pm

The Cramstor bags look really nice.  I found something similar at a local motorcycle accessories store.  It is called Compact Saddle Bag (pair) by Ultimate Riding Innovations.  They are a little smaller in size - 12 x 10 x 5 inches made of synthetic leather (I guess it is vinyl, but looks like leather). They were on sale for $50. 

The pair are attached by a piece of synthetic leather that lays over the rear seat, and the bags hang on either side of bike.  They do not reach the exhaust pipe.  I use the bar of my rear seat backrest to tie them.  

« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 11:23:18 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk

Marrtyn

• Bulleteer
Reply #10 on: April 03, 2010, 09:56:38 am
Marrtyn/WillW
                       Have look at the chrome electra brackets (style 1) $49.95 on this site.I bought a pair,after postage and import duty the price wasn:t too bad and they look  good.
Hi Dave
You All Right.
Yes we have spoke of these brackets before. The only thing putting me off is the shipping costs to the UK etc.
When this bracket is fitted, are you still able to fit on a Back Rest. i.e., does the mounting preclude fitting of any thing else, via the 4 screws into the seat.
Regards

davem

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: April 03, 2010, 03:20:18 pm
Hi Marrtyn
               I agree the shipping does make them look expensive.They cost me £64 with shipping(but the biggest shock was import duty at £17, I had to pay that before the post office would deliver)However when compared to the cost w/s luggage rack at £48 and the pannier frames at £56 all plus postage it seems reasonable.
Regarding the backrest i;ve left it off (easier to get me leg over) but it would fit with longer screws and a bit of persuasion
See you at the next meeting.
PS Will with the throwover bags on i can still get at the lifting handle.

Anon

• Grand Gearhead
  • Good golly Miss Molly
Reply #12 on: April 03, 2010, 08:30:00 pm

Yeah, Cramsters will do exactly what you want.  They are throwovers and are actually designed specifically for the Bullet stock dual seat.  I have a set I use for camping and trips.  They even have pockets for water bottles etc and straps you can use to tie down sleeping pads, tents, of whatever.  Here's a picture of mine from a camping trip last summer:

I put on a solo seat and small rear rack since that trip, but I think they'll still work over the rear rack.  If not, I think I can modify 'em easily.  They work perfectly on the dual seat and don't get in the way of the grab handle or even a passenger.

The cost for shipping is high, but the bags are so inexpensive that it still works out to cheaper than a lot of other options.  I think CMW should think about carrying them.

Eamon
Eamon

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: April 04, 2010, 10:20:19 am
I like those Crampsters and will almost certainly be getting some. I've ordered the chrome Electra brackets/carrier and hope it'll be winging its way to the UK soon.

Nobody told me a bike was a hole in the garage you shovel money into......

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: April 04, 2010, 04:20:25 pm

Nobody told me a bike was a hole in the garage you shovel money into......

ssshhhhhh.  Don't remind me of that hole ! I have one or two too !

« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 11:23:15 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk