Author Topic: Contemplating a Royal Enfield 500; advice please  (Read 4359 times)

srileo

• Scooter
on: December 09, 2007, 06:01:04 pm
Hi all,
I have been in love with Royal Enfields all my growing up years in India. I have always indulged in the idea of owning one here as a sunday morning ride and came across a really neat RE that i need some advise on,

The bike is a '99 RE in Brit Racing Green.
Full Vintage package...no tan saddlebags though :-(
Does not have electric start or the electronic timing module (?)
300 miles only

The previous owner has installed titanium lifters and a few other niceties including the correct shifter conversion

Is $3000 a fair price? I offered that price to him and then looked on ebay and found out some Deluxe models go for as low as $2500. Correct?

Looking forward to joining you all.

Charro

• Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: December 09, 2007, 06:39:56 pm
I paid $2700 for a 03 with 1700 miles. Performace exhasut and 30mm Amal Carb. 3 grand seems a bit high, 2500 is more like it. But what the heck souds like a great bike , pay what you think is right, don't matter what everbody else thinks. Let us know if you get it.   

Andy
2014 Royal Enfield C5
2004 Triumph Sprint RS
2004 Triumph Speed Four
2001 Triumph Bonneville
2006 Triumph Scrambler
1998 Triumph Speed Triple
1998 Triumph Daytona
2012 Ural Gear Up
"Tell me what kind of horse you want to ride. I'll tell you what kind of rider you are." (Old Mexican proverb)

LJRead

Reply #2 on: December 09, 2007, 07:31:27 pm

I agree with Charro.  If the bike has some add-ons and is in good shape then $3000 doesn't seem like too much to pay.  The problem with Ebay bikes is that you have to get them to where you are (shipping) and it isn't always easy to find a perfect bike (for you) that is close to home. Also, if you get a bike you really like, you'll soon forget a little extra paid.

Good luck

LJ

Spitting Bull

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: December 09, 2007, 07:36:33 pm
And besides - the green ones are the fastest ones.

Tom
One cylinder is enough for anyone.

Bullet500Dude

• Scooter
  • Me in Mexico
Reply #4 on: December 09, 2007, 07:53:15 pm
   Hey Ya'll !
 Well, if she is was made pre 6/99 with 3 wire charging system.  You could possibly expirence problems with keepimg the battery charged riding around town, and you may wish to upgrade the system.  CMW sells an upgraded 180 watt sysrem constsing of a European made Lucas stator  & rotor I believe they attain from Hitchcock's in the UK.
Take CARE, be BAD ;-) and ride SAFE ....... D.B.

VMAX

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: December 09, 2007, 08:37:30 pm
The value of an antique is commensurate with what you are willing to pay. How much is too much to have your dream come true.   ??? All in all, what you offered is fair.  ;)
Ride Safe - Check 6 - REA #9
05' RE 500 Classic Bullet ES w/Cozy Bullet
Liberator Motorcycle Ministry

dewjantim

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: December 09, 2007, 09:30:19 pm
I paid $2800 for mine new in 2001, it was a 2000 model. Still, if that bike is in excellent shape you can have a lot of good times with it for the money. If you want it, buy it. I just bought a R65LS last summer from a friend. The bike had less than 6000 miles on it and rode like a new bike. Paid about $1000 over book value. Foolish, maybe, but where am I going to get another low mile, like new, mechanically perfect, 25 year old bike.......Dew.
If it hurts, you're not dead yet!!!!!

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: December 10, 2007, 04:37:10 pm
This may or may not be a good deal. I haven"t seen it and so can't comment on its condition. However a new unit is superior in every way. The five speed transmission is great. Build quality is far superior. And the cost isn't that much more. I'd suggest checking out new Enfields before making a decision.