Author Topic: Offset fuel tank - huh?  (Read 3746 times)

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
on: April 06, 2010, 07:19:04 pm
Fussing round my bike today I thought I must surely be mistaken, but no, a line-of-sight view puts the fuel tank offset to the left by about 20mm. Further investigation of where the tank is bolted to the frame reveals that there is a 20mm (ish) rubber bush between the left side of the tank and the frame, but none on the right. Now I've noticed it I'm going to have to centre it properly.
How much more of this kind of bodgery am I going to find on this bike? It's quite amusing in its way - the bike is becoming a real individual, but it's kind of sloppy workmanship don't you think?
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

clubman

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 07:30:26 pm
How much more of this kind of bodgery am I going to find on this bike? It's quite amusing in its way - the bike is becoming a real individual, but it's kind of sloppy workmanship don't you think?

Yes it is. I feel mighty glad I bought the Clubman since apart from loving the styling it also required that it was virtually reassembled by Watsonian in England. (New tank, seat unit, bars, rearsets and exhaust.) I think it is because of this that I have had no issues whatever. I know some have bought the standard bike and would say the same but this kind of story doesn't inspire confidence. I recall another one concerning a bolt (or similar - can't quite remember) in the rear inner tube. Wonderful. Enfield have a really good bike here but really need to get their act together if they want to be taken seriously on the world market.

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 07:37:26 pm
That Clubman is a seriously good looking bike. I was very tempted myself, but wasn't sure I could cope with the riding position for long trips (I'm old and it all aches   :-\). The extra grand was also a factor.
But yeah - they've really got to get their quality control sorted.

clubman

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 09:42:59 pm
I'm pretty old myself but vanity won out!  ;D Just to add that my rusty memory is starting to crank up now - it was a washer that was in a rear inner tube.

REAZ

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 06:38:53 pm
Well, a missing rubber washer or any other minor discrepancies won't make you feel upbeat for sure. BUT! Before you'd make yourself pissed of too much, put it in perspective. How would you feel about your $20K BMW when the final drive fails at 5K miles, the cruise control starts acting on its own at 6K, the oil level sensor gives it up at 12K, etc. ? How about the Honda Goldwing which has such a bad fuel delivery/ignition dead spot at 1800 rpm that it can easily throw you off balance at low speed maneuvering if you forget about it....and what about the experience when the front brake caliper got loose on my Yamaha V-Star at about 1500 miles?
Yes, RE has lots of room to improve CC in order to avoid minor pissers to be delivered to the customer but it is also your dealer's obligation to 'get the little corks out of the glass before served'. If pre delivery inspection (PDI) is done properly the dealer should notice a large missing rubber washer or similarly obvious flaws.
A RE might require a bit more attention from its owner than a Suzuki, but ride somewhere with your buddy on his Jap mass production and you'll see how much attention your bike will draw from the crowd.
The good news is that you can figure the minor issues with a little involvement in a short time and then, you can stay solely focused on the compliments you receive. Enjoy the continuous smile that ONLY a bike like a Royal Enfield can put on your face.
It is good to ride
REAZ

Chasfield

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 07:03:47 pm
Yeah, keep going with the continuous smile or the thread might disappear!

2001 500 Bullet Deluxe

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 07:20:32 pm
Yep, I know it......

I'm still in love with my black and chrome beauty. I said it before and here it is again  -  the little niggles are fine and I love an hour or two with the spanners.
The brake thing however was a joke too far.
Unlucky.
That's all.
But ssshhh.....such talk bad for BIZNIZ ........
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 08:05:12 pm by WillW »

Anon

• Grand Gearhead
  • Good golly Miss Molly
Reply #7 on: April 08, 2010, 08:23:33 pm
The tank on my 2006 Deluxe is off to the left as well.  I keep saying I'll do something to get it centered, but still haven't gotten around to it.  I don't think mine is off center so much as it leans to the left.  I think the mounting holes are lower on one side than the other.  Sometimes it bugs me, but not enough that I've bothered to try and fix it...   :P

Eamon
Eamon

Rusty

• Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: April 08, 2010, 09:23:49 pm
Yeah, keep going with the continuous smile or the thread might disappear!

;D ;D ;D

If only it was that easy at RE, the click of a mouse and all the assembly faults are gone.

Chris-G5

• Bulleteer
Reply #9 on: April 09, 2010, 01:11:51 am
I guess they can't handle the truth, so they just delete it.

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: April 09, 2010, 07:41:55 am
Well, let me say I'm not bearing any grudges. I'm a newbie round here and didn't come to stir it up.
 I know the dealer guys did all the proper pre-delivery checks. No one would've spotted the gasket underneath, and the brake thing was just waiting to happen. I'm pretty sure it was behind the original rear brake adjustment issue - the shaft was already twisting prior to the break.
I'm done with thinking about it. Today's a new day and I'm looking forward to getting my bike back.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 04:43:53 pm by WillW »