Author Topic: Starter Spins but doesn't engage  (Read 12528 times)

CSH

• Scooter
on: March 28, 2010, 02:16:36 pm
Hi everyone , I'm a new owner of a 2006 Electra which was purchased new in 2009. I have just passed 1000 miles . I have a problem with the electric start . It seems that when I try to start the starter motor turns over but will only occasionally turn the engine over . Sometimes when it does turn the engine over it will do so for a second or two and then just back to the whirring of the starter motor . I just picked it up from the dealer and they said that they serviced the sprag clutch.I also had the starter upgrade to prevent backfiring done previously . I can kick start but would like everything working properly. If this problem has been discussed previously please point me in the right direction , otherwise your advice and suggestions would be appreciated . Thanks

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 02:22:35 pm
Sounds like the sprag is sticking a bit...You might want to give it a try with a quart of ATF-F in the primary if that is not whats in there..  The lower viscosity might loosen it up... 
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 03:28:48 pm
How the heck do you service the sprag?  I hope that didn't cost more than twenty five cents.

My 2 gueses;  Drain the primary oil and use a whole quart of ATF- F type.
Second- make sure your battery is full and put a tender on it.  I have a feeling the battery may be a little low, and it takes a fully charged battry to get these started.

Also, check and make sure you have the up-dated thinger-winger I forget the name of (CDI?)  It's under the seat, and should be green, not black.  If yours is black, send CMW your serial number and they'll send a green one for free.
Run what ya brung

PaulF

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 05:15:19 pm
Hi everyone , I'm a new owner of a 2006 Electra which was purchased new in 2009. I have just passed 1000 miles . I have a problem with the electric start . It seems that when I try to start the starter motor turns over but will only occasionally turn the engine over . Sometimes when it does turn the engine over it will do so for a second or two and then just back to the whirring of the starter motor . I just picked it up from the dealer and they said that they serviced the sprag clutch.I also had the starter upgrade to prevent backfiring done previously . I can kick start but would like everything working properly. If this problem has been discussed previously please point me in the right direction , otherwise your advice and suggestions would be appreciated . Thanks

I have, and have had, the same exact symptoms since almost day one. I have had the primary cover off three times, convinced that the sprag fragged, and three times found that the sprag is in one piece, no debris in the primary case, and refilled with one liter, 20-50 and green, updated TCI box installed.

Funny thing is, with the decompressor engaged, it will happily spin the motor all the live long day. When under compression however, it will disengage and whine. Also, when the engine is hot, it will sometimes, (and only occasionally), start the motor on its own, but NEVER when the engine is cold.

I never liked it when new and rely on the kick start always. So, I havent yet disassembled the primary case and probably won't until it absolutely needs to be, so I live with it.

I also do not know what the dealer meant by "servicing" the sprag. It is not a device that can be adjusted, only lubricated, which applys to everything within the case.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 05:17:55 pm by PaulF »

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #4 on: March 28, 2010, 09:39:50 pm
Hi CSH,
Welcome aboard .
No matter where you go, there, you are.

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: March 28, 2010, 09:51:04 pm
    As Uncle said, it will work better with a fully charged battery. HOWEVER, at that time frame I had  a few Sprag failures exactly the same as yours that were due to a manufacturing run with excessive clearances. They didn't break as in the other type of failure because they won't engage.  It is a warranty issue. Nothing will fix it except replacement. Get the latest update installed and fill the primary with a full liter of 20W50. The green TCI unit will eliminate most failures. To eliminate the rest you must keep the bike in a good state of tune and ride regularly.

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: March 28, 2010, 11:13:28 pm
Mr Vince, my brain pan is like a rusty collander.  Might you reiterate why you like the 20-50 better than the ATF-F?
Run what ya brung

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #7 on: March 28, 2010, 11:43:32 pm
 These sprague clutches are a sort of one way bearing. They are designed to "grab" and transmit power in one direction and free wheel in the opposite.

Clearances, surface finish and lube type can make any one way bearing finicky.

Luckily these ones are far less twitchy than the ones used in the robotic manufacturing lines I used to look after.

No matter where you go, there, you are.

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: March 29, 2010, 01:33:47 am
Well, the 2 I went through were a whole lot more finicky than the one in my lawn mower.
Run what ya brung

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #9 on: March 29, 2010, 03:05:46 pm
I think half the folks here prescribe 20w-50 and half go ATF-F.  Its tearing us apart! :'( 

I like the low-battery theory as it sounds like a nice, easy place to start.
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

CSH

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: March 29, 2010, 04:04:52 pm
Well, The battery is fully charged and has been on trickle , I also didn't trust that and hooked jumpers from a backup battery pack so I don't think that is the problem . I have had the CDI update done . At this point I'm split between trying the ATF or just back to the dealer . I previously had a sprag clutch failure at about 300 miles so that had alleady been replaced . Thanks for the advice !

CSH

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: March 29, 2010, 04:09:17 pm
Also, having the decompressor on makes no difference , it still doesn't turn over the engine . This morning it would not engage at all . I brought it inside my heated garage last night which was at 60 degrees .

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #12 on: March 29, 2010, 04:48:21 pm
For what its worth my 07' had an ES when I got it... The key word in that phrase being "had"...  ;)
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: March 29, 2010, 06:05:29 pm
Just for shiites and giggles, whack the solenoid with a good-sized wrench and then try it.  (you may need to take the solenoid off from the back of the tool box, but that's pretty easy.  It really doesn't matter if it's kind of floating around in there)
Run what ya brung

PaulF

• Grease Monkey
Reply #14 on: March 29, 2010, 06:32:11 pm
Also, having the decompressor on makes no difference , it still doesn't turn over the engine .

In that case, yours is more FUBAR'd than mine is. Frustrating.