Author Topic: Anybody know...  (Read 6532 times)

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: March 25, 2010, 11:42:43 pm
Well Paul, since your profile doesn't say, I'm just gonna go with old age.  ;D

PaulF

• Grease Monkey
Reply #16 on: March 26, 2010, 01:51:35 pm
Well Paul, since your profile doesn't say, I'm just gonna go with old age.  ;D

Now wait just a dad gum minute, feller. As soon as this ExLax wears off, I'm gonna put on a fresh adult diaper, get into my walker, hobble over to my new fangled rotary telephone gizmo and give you a 1/2 of a 1/2 of a piece of my mind.... Just as soon as I find my glasses.

Wait. am I speaking now?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 02:16:29 pm by PaulF »

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: March 26, 2010, 02:58:52 pm
 ;D ;D ;D

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #18 on: March 26, 2010, 04:30:06 pm
 This is interesting.
 CV Flat slides in 30 and 32mm with electric choke and an accelerator pump.

http://www.buggypartsnw.com/home?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=92&category_id=14&keyword=32

Looks good in theory;

CV feature for efficiency with varying engine loads and atmospheric conditions.
Accelerator pump to address instant lean condition and throttle bog associated with rapid partial throttle opening.
 Provided the pump were adjustable it would be useful for giving er a tickle in similar fashion to a Amal  or H-D butterfly carbs for start up if one elected to fore go the auto choke.

I suppose the choke or accelerator pump could be later be disabled if they weren't to ones liking. .

Thoughts and opinions ?

No matter where you go, there, you are.

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: March 26, 2010, 04:52:08 pm
     Some of my worst carb problems concern the electric choke. Not because it's a problem. I have NEVER had a failure. It's because people don't understand how they work and then "fix" the choke instead of the actual problem. That black choke housing contains a wax medium on top of a plunger. When cold the medium contracts. This lifts the plunger off a jet that provides extra fuel to the cold engine. As the engine warms up the medium expands to push the rubber tip of the plunger down to seal off the jet. The warming is usually electrically assisted via a simple resistance loop. Removing the assembly will simply leave holes that will let extra fuel and air into the carb. You can plug the hole off, but if you don't seal the jet it will always run rich. If you manage to seal the jet you probably won't get the bike started unless it's 80 degrees out.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #20 on: March 26, 2010, 05:52:06 pm
Thank You Br. Vince for the insight.
I had no idea how the electric choke system was adapted to motorcycles.
I would like to dissect one of those on my bench at work.

The CV function coupled with the ventui size(s) is intriguing.

We seldom if ever used the choke on our shovelheads. One twist of the throttle ( two in winter) to work the pump was plenty of tickle for for the first start of the day.
Then too I have seen over zealous types flood their bike and foul plugs.
No matter where you go, there, you are.