Author Topic: Starter won't stop!  (Read 3338 times)

rnewton75

• Scooter
on: February 21, 2010, 07:09:13 pm
Hi All,

Maybe you all can help me with this one...

I started my G5 today with the electric starter and the starter continued to spin and never stopped!  Immediately after noticing this I turned the key off, the engine lost spark and stopped but the starter was still spinning!  Fearing starter damage I removed the side cover and took off the battery positive.  I then was able to disconnect the large wire from the top of the starter and reconnect the battery.  When you the key on now all seems fine (in goes thru its little startup cycle and is ready to start).  I taped off the lead from the starter and tried to kick-start it with no luck.  I think it's probably completely flooded from the starter running so long I'm going to have lunch and try it again.  I've got to ride today, it's the first weekend with out ice in weeks.

Anyone have a clue? I rode it some yesterday with no problems.

Thanks!

REA Member 131

• Scooter
  • I'd rather push my Enfield than ride a Harley
Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 07:11:58 pm
Bad (sticky) starter button switch?

rnewton75

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 07:16:19 pm
Nope the starter switch seems fine.  and it even tries to start with the key out and the kick stand down.  when the key is on, and you press the starter button as it sits the coil (round thing next to the battery with 2 leads with rubber caps) ticks one time when the starter butom is depressed and one more time when the button is released.  Maybe that will help someone,  I'm not an expert.

motomataya

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 07:29:30 pm
The relay (round thing by the battery) is stuck. Replace it before you hook the battery up again.

SSR

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 07:46:50 pm
There are three main things which can cause the said problem.

1.Clutch switch
2. Neutral switch
3. Starter relay

In your case seems like the sticking relay

rnewton75

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 07:49:42 pm
Thanks guys,  Is there a way to "un-stick" it?  or is it shot and I need to get a new one?

SSR

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 08:09:54 pm
To check if its working or not. On the relay coupler, give 12v dc supply and on the relay itself check for continuity. If no fluctuation then its all good. If yes then get it changed.

rnewton75

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: February 21, 2010, 09:23:44 pm
To check if its working or not. On the relay coupler, give 12v dc supply and on the relay itself check for continuity. If no fluctuation then its all good. If yes then get it changed.

Thanks, I tried this and when 12v is given to the blue & white wires there is no continuity between the 2 posts with the nuts (that are inline from the starter to the battery).  After checking this I realized that the circuit that was stuck closed is now stuck open..?..  Anyway, I'll get a new relay and try that.

This does go to show the advantage of the kick starter.  I'm still able to fully use the bike.  This confirms my choice of the G5 over the C5.

Thanks for the help guys.

Turkeyrider

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: March 29, 2010, 01:05:58 am
I've had the same intermittent starter relay problem (2006 Bullet Electra AVL). Very disconcerting -- engine starts right up but strarter motor keeps running, possibly damaging gears and certainly discharging the battery.

I read the post re a replacement Honda relay that requires modified mounting. Asked for it at local Honda/Yamaha/Kawasaki dealer (where I bought my Silver Wing 582 cc scooter). Didn't have it. Manager then disapeared, to return with a Yamaha part -- a starter relay the same shape as my offending item, slighty smaller in diameter, not quite as tall.  It fits snugly into the rubber holder for the original. No modifications needed.

Installed easily, works great-and hasn't stuck.  Box shows "Supplier: YA," "Made in Japan."  Should have legendary Yamaha quality; probaly won't stick.  Should not adversely affect the battery or starter switch. The original's coil resistance is 3.9 ohms & draws 3 amps when tested. Yamaha replacement's coil resistance measures 4.4 ohms & draws 2.75 amps - 8% less current through relay coil. The large posts (one goes to battery + and other to starter motor.  They are just a set of contacts that close when current goes through the coil (the smaller wires to the connector).

The Yamaha box label reads: 4KD-81940-00-00 Starter Relay Assembly.

Perhaps this info will be helpful.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #9 on: March 29, 2010, 01:16:22 am
Thanks Br. Turkeyrider !

I will jot that Pn down in my notes.
No matter where you go, there, you are.