Author Topic: Is there a K&N equivalent for this OEM filter  (Read 3923 times)

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
on: March 24, 2010, 08:24:12 pm
Is there a K&N equivalent for this OEM filter. Not the cone/pod type, but something like the OEM that will go in the box. The Cone filter does not fit the Electra box.

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 09:39:48 pm
Can't send you a PM?

Well, depending on what you find, I have 3 or 4 stockers I'd love to find a good home for- not much $.  (I went to a pod)
Run what ya brung

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 10:24:28 pm
 ??? ??? ???

longstrokeclassic

• Grand Gearhead
Never underestimate the value of improved combustion efficiency and reducing parasitic engine and rolling chassis losses.

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 03:09:11 am
Thanks man. Have you tried it ?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 04:50:32 am by 1 Thump »

longstrokeclassic

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 11:17:55 am
I fitted it at the same time I did some work on the basic CV carb. Seems a good long term investment against regular replacement of the standard filter.
It's fractionally fatter than the standard unit, but fits inside the air box without any problems.
Never underestimate the value of improved combustion efficiency and reducing parasitic engine and rolling chassis losses.

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 07:37:46 pm
Just ordered one. CMW does not carry it. Also ordered the jet kit for the electra. Lets see what comes ot of it.

Philbomoog

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: March 27, 2010, 12:06:22 pm
K&N filters seem very popular and I like the idea of a reusable filter, although £40 for the KN compared to £5 for the bog standard OEM is a big jump.

Has anyone noticed any problem with this' free-flow' design. I understand it works by having bigger holes in the filter medium to let more air in, but does this mean it lets in more dust and muck and if so would this be a problem.

Any thoughts?

Thump- keep us posted on your new jets.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #8 on: March 27, 2010, 02:59:57 pm
K&N filters seem very popular and I like the idea of a reusable filter, although £40 for the KN compared to £5 for the bog standard OEM is a big jump.

Has anyone noticed any problem with this' free-flow' design. I understand it works by having bigger holes in the filter medium to let more air in, but does this mean it lets in more dust and muck and if so would this be a problem.

Any thoughts?

Thump- keep us posted on your new jets.

The K&N fillters are generally "acceptable to good" for filtering.
They are quite good at letting more air into the engine than an OEM fllter, and will usually result in some performance increase, and often need some carb adjustment or minor re-jetting because they flow more air.

There is some concern by some people that the K&N lets in more dust particles, which it probably does. If  you keep it maintained and oiled, it should do pretty well. Repeated washings can remove the little fibers from the woven cloth material it is made out of, and then the filter doesn't catch particles as well.

It's not a panacea, but it's a pretty good performance filter, and nothing is perfect.

Home of the Fireball 535 !

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: March 27, 2010, 05:02:15 pm

There is some concern by some people that the K&N lets in more dust particles, which it probably does. If  you keep it maintained and oiled, it should do pretty well.

Hey Ace,

Are you suggesting that the air filter should be oiled. Can you explain that a little to this newbie.

Thanks

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #10 on: March 27, 2010, 06:09:13 pm
Hey Ace,

Are you suggesting that the air filter should be oiled. Can you explain that a little to this newbie.

Thanks

The K&N filter should be oiled. It's designed that way. It's an oiled-gauze filter.
There are others like them too.

A normal paper air filter shouldn't be oiled.

Only the ones that are designed to be oiled, such as the K&N and other similar oiled-gauze filters, should be oiled. And there is a specific oil that they provide to do it with..
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #11 on: March 28, 2010, 10:25:33 am
There are only two ways to increase airflow with filters.

Increase surface area or increase porosity.

Wash and re oil type air filters do pass larger particles. 

No matter where you go, there, you are.

longstrokeclassic

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: March 29, 2010, 12:09:38 pm

When I bought my DU-0100,  I paid £33 was quoted £7 (in total) for a replacement filter.  Seemed a good trade-off at the time.  

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: March 29, 2010, 07:31:20 pm
Its $34.00 at froogle.com

icarus

• Bulleteer
Reply #14 on: April 20, 2010, 01:14:46 am
Is the K&N filter really better (and how much then) compared to the stock filter shown in the first post? Is it worth the extra trouble and costs?
1947 FN M13
1997 Honda Africa Twin XRV750
2007 Indian Bullet Electra 5S  which I travelled with in Nepal and India.
2008 Honda Transalp XL700V
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: April 20, 2010, 06:55:01 pm
It lets in significantly more air into the carb. I had to rejet the carb to match the air flow. I did notice some increase in hp also. The more sophisticated ones will have numebrs to give you as well.