Author Topic: repair manual!?!?!?!?!?!?  (Read 3895 times)

dre4300

• Scooter
on: December 09, 2007, 08:55:38 am
OK, I got the Pete Snidal repair manual on CD-ROM so that I could set about re-wiring my bike and slipped it into the slot on the computer. Icon shows up and all. Still it does not seem to work right on my mac. Safari keeps looking on the web for the next link instead of the drive. As you can imagine I cant sort out the indecipherable icon names to find what I am looking for. Is this just the way it is with mac. Anyone made this work right on their mac? Do I have to find some lame as PC to make this work. Why is it not just a pdf?

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: December 09, 2007, 09:31:19 am
Macs sometimes are not compatible with CD manuals.

You could try using a PC to read it, and if appropriate, copy it as a .pdf.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

DaveG

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: December 09, 2007, 11:52:07 am
Sometimes, using Firefox or Camino or Opera will allow my Mac to open things in the browser, where Safari doesn't seem to want to work.
I haven't the Snidal manual to try, though, sorry.
I have Safari 3.04 on OSX.4.11.

73 de Dave G7NCB from the Isle of Axholme UK (MacPro and OSX.4.11) and 05 Electra X

jdrouin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: December 09, 2007, 04:43:56 pm
If using a different browser like firefox doesn't work, you can try copying the CD contents to a folder on your computer and opening them directly from there. Is there an index or homepage that you're supposed to start with?

I don't have the manual (heck, I don't even have my Bullet yet, but soon!), but if you tell us what the file extensions are (I'm assuming mostly .html or .htm?) perhaps we can be of better assistance.

Jeff

Bullet500Dude

• Scooter
  • Me in Mexico
Reply #4 on: December 09, 2007, 09:19:03 pm
Hey Ya'll !   The manual on CD is nice.  But I didn't like it.   My problem was going in the house with greasy hands, and the wife going balistic when she saw me going near the pooter.   :P   
Take CARE, be BAD ;-) and ride SAFE ....... D.B.

jdrouin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: December 10, 2007, 04:17:08 pm
By the way, if you're using a Mac, and if the manual files are .htm or .html, you can probably import them using NeoOffice (free office suite at http://neooffice.org) or Microsoft Office, and then save them all as a single .pdf. If you have Adobe's PDF writing software, there's almost certainly a way to open all the files, convert them to .pdf, and collate them into a single .pdf (I'd have to google it).

Jeff