Author Topic: It is crooked !  (Read 2125 times)

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
on: March 19, 2010, 04:56:09 pm
The tire appears to be wearing out more on the left side at about 160 miles. The right edge of tire is untouched. The 'pointy' things are still present on the right, where as they are gone from the lft side. Also, there is more dust on the elft side indicating more contact with the ground, where as the right side is cleaner.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 04:59:42 pm by 1 Thump »

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 05:08:41 pm
Use a tightly-pulled string to determine the alignment to the front wheel.
If they are out, you can often use the snail adjusters to straighten them out.

Sometimes this is simply a matter of the snail adjusters not being set correctly at the rear wheel. it is common to have a different snail adjustment setting on one side of the swingarm and the other.

If the swingarm is actually angled, then the frame is built with the swingarm mounts in the wrong places, and that's a warrantee issue.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 06:48:26 pm
I had to do what Ace said. Mine was out . Used a tightly pulled string, then adjusted the "snails" on the rear  tire to match the front. My rear tire wore in alittle funny . Its all fixed now.
Yep, your dealer prep should have caught that.  Unless you assembled yours yourself out of the crate.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 07:37:57 pm
Thanks Ace/Repozer: What are snails ? And how do I adjust them ? I would rather take it to a mechanic, warranty covered right now.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 08:29:33 pm
The snail adjusters are those notched cam-shaped things on the rear of the swing-arm that you use to adjust your chain tension.
They also are used to align your rear wheel.

People like to set them the same on both sides, but that isn't always right for every bike.
Sometimes the adjusters are needed to be set different on each side to get the wheel in alignment properly..
Home of the Fireball 535 !

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 04:11:03 am
Found the culprit, hopefully. Low air pressure, front and back, and the fact I make steeper left sided turns.