Author Topic: UCE Vibration  (Read 4644 times)

clubman

• Grease Monkey
on: March 14, 2010, 08:50:21 pm
Superb long ride today and now that I have reached 1200 miles from new I finally saw 80 on the clock. Right up to 1000 I didn't exceed 70 and have gradually increased the top speed since then. The thing is at no time time have I experienced anything other than the most mild and unobtrusive vibration and that remained the case at 80, which I held for a few miles. Is this a fault?  :)

Seriously, all the reviews I read prior to purchase were like "potter around at 55-60 because the vibration at 70 plus will shake the bike apart" and so on. And at no stage in my very long and careful run in have I found vibration to be a problem.  I'd be interested to hear other peoples experiences.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 08:55:01 pm
I don't find vibration to be a problem on mine either. I've had some real shakers in my life, but the UCE isn't one of them.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 10:03:50 pm
Superb long ride today and now that I have reached 1200 miles from new I finally saw 80 on the clock. Right up to 1000 I didn't exceed 70 and have gradually increased the top speed since then. The thing is at no time time have I experienced anything other than the most mild and unobtrusive vibration and that remained the case at 80, which I held for a few miles. Is this a fault?  :)

Seriously, all the reviews I read prior to purchase were like "potter around at 55-60 because the vibration at 70 plus will shake the bike apart" and so on. And at no stage in my very long and careful run in have I found vibration to be a problem.  I'd be interested to hear other peoples experiences.

Vibration in the UCE bikes is often caused by assembly stress in the frame. As stated, the UCE is NOT a vibrator at heart - BUT - the engine vibration that it DOES have (it IS a big single after all ...) can be amplified at certain frequencies by the way the frame has "settled in" on the bike. The problem arises when the frames' backbone is bolted to the engine on the assembly line. Sometimes they bolt right up - other times they require a bit of "tweek" to get the bolts all in as they are STILL hand made. Occasionally this stress in the frame will resonate at a certain engine RPM - causing you, the rider, to fell vibration. Of course the whole thing changes as it heat cycles, etc, so that a bike with vibration may suddenly have none - and vice versa. Fortunately, the fix is WAY easy! Simply loosen all the engine mount bolts with the bike up on the centre-stand and a small of wood under the front wheel. This keeps the bike in the proper "relative position". Then start the engine and allow it to run, revving it up a few times, to "center" the engine in the frame and re-tighten all the mount bolts. The stress should be gone from the frame - as well as the resonant vibration. I've done this to a few bikes with outstanding results.
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

Marrtyn

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 04:59:56 pm
Rode mine (G5) up to 70 this weekend after being laid up over the winter. I have 1500mls on the clock.
I noticed a little vibration, but nothing to worry about- the problem I have is hanging on. Desperatly need a screen.

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 06:31:25 pm
...or lower bars.
Run what ya brung

Marrtyn

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 07:31:10 pm
Yeh, Rear sets as well.
Not sure if my back will stand up though!!

clubman

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: March 17, 2010, 09:07:08 pm
If WS hold another open day this year and you get a chance to ride a Clubman have a go. It's subjective I know but it's probably a lot more comfortable than you'd think. I think the G5 would look great with ace bars and rearsets; no need to change the tank or seat for it to look the part.

Rusty

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: March 17, 2010, 09:57:54 pm
Then start the engine and allow it to run, revving it up a few times, to "center" the engine in the frame and re-tighten all the mount bolts. The stress should be gone from the frame - as well as the resonant vibration. I've done this to a few bikes with outstanding results.

Sounds a bit like the old A65 trick, loosen engine mounts jack up engine and re-tighten mounts.

Mine's smooth up to 65, bearable at 70 and uncomfortable at 80. The rest of the bike feels uncomfortable at 80 so might as well chuck in few vibes. Besides a big single has to vibrate, how would it talk to you otherwise?

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #8 on: March 18, 2010, 12:55:38 am
Sounds a bit like the old A65 trick, loosen engine mounts jack up engine and re-tighten mounts.

Mine's smooth up to 65, bearable at 70 and uncomfortable at 80. The rest of the bike feels uncomfortable at 80 so might as well chuck in few vibes. Besides a big single has to vibrate, how would it talk to you otherwise?

Too funny - it IS an old BSA trick!!  ::)
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

chinoy

• Bulleteer
Reply #9 on: March 18, 2010, 06:04:05 am
Thanks Scooter Bob I will try this trick on my bike for sure.
My bike is nicknamed the Vibe Rider or Vibrator.
Because it does vibrate like hell.
How much you think is ok and how much is absurd is very subjective I think.
So far Ive lost two filling and passed a few kidney stones after riding the bike lol.
It does tend to shake everything loose. And our roads dont help one bit.