Author Topic: Nuts, Bolts and Metric Sizes on G5  (Read 9732 times)

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
on: March 14, 2010, 02:23:46 am
I was about to adjust rear / drive chain on my G5, when I realized that there was no wrench big enough to open the rear wheel spindle hex nut, in the tool box.  So I went through common maintenance procedures and made a list of wrench / socket sizes required for G5.

Like all things of RE why make life simple and use one size, when two sizes can be used ? e.g., the rear shock absorber dome nut is 17 mm, but the bolt head is 15 mm. The horn is attached by a 13 mm nut to bracket, and the bracket is attached to frame by 12 mm.  The list is too long for all the parts but here is a condensed version of wrenches or / and sockets required.

Briefly the sizes of Nuts, Bolt Heads in G5 are -

M4    =    7 mm
        M5    =    8 mm
        M6    =  10 mm
        M7 ? =  12 mm
        M8    =  13 mm
        M9 ? =  14 mm
        M10  =  17 mm
        M12  =  19 mm

M16  =  24 mm  Socket for castle nut on rear wheel spindle
        M20  =  30 mm  Socket for Hex nut on rear wheel spindle (behind castle nut)
        M?    =  13/16 " Socket for Spark Plug

An adjustable wrench, a torque wrench are also recommended. For routine maintenance the above list of 10 metric sizes and a set of Allen wrenches will do the job.  

For internal work in the engine and front fork, specialized tools may be required.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 05:41:25 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

thefieldworker

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 02:57:10 am
Thanks for the useful list; I end up walking back and forth between my toolbox in the house and the driveway a lot!

I bought a 30mm socket to loosen that nut behind the castle nut for chain adjustments - but I got to thinking about the tool kit that came with the bike. If you are out on the road, how are you supposed to remove the rear wheel with what's in the toolkit? Do people pack a 30mm wrench when they hit the road?

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 03:04:52 am
I use a standard  1 3/16  socket on mine, works fine.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 05:10:05 am
Thanks for the useful list; I end up walking back and forth between my toolbox in the house and the driveway a lot!

I bought a 30mm socket to loosen that nut behind the castle nut for chain adjustments - but I got to thinking about the tool kit that came with the bike. If you are out on the road, how are you supposed to remove the rear wheel with what's in the toolkit? Do people pack a 30mm wrench when they hit the road?

To remove the rear wheel, you do Not need to open the Large Hex nut on the rear spindle. The steps are -
1. Bike on center stand, preferably on a plank to lift rear wheel off ground.
2. Make sure rear wheel is lifted off ground.
3. Remove the split pin from rear wheel spindle on the Right side of bike.
4. Remove castle nut 24 mm on the Right side of bike (tool box in motorcycle has a socket of that size).
5. Come to the Left side of bike and Slide a rod in the hole on the head of spindle and then pull the spindle out. (towards you).
6. Staying on the Left side of bike, tilt the bike to the right slightly, free the rear wheel from the sprocket lugs, and slide it (pull toward you) from below.

The brake drum assembly and chain stays on the frame.  This is the beauty of RE that rear wheel can be removed Without removing rear chain and rear wheel sprocket.

singhg5

1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: March 14, 2010, 04:47:20 pm
Do people pack a 30mm wrench when they hit the road?

I pack a 10" adjustable wrench.
CJ
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

Chasfield

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: March 14, 2010, 05:35:04 pm
I keep meaning to buy an open ended 22/24 spanner, grind off the 22 end and tidy up the shaft so that it can double up as a tyre lever.

Or you can buy a proper one like this.

http://www.dirtguide.co.nz/products/422-tyre_levers_and_pumps/1110-drc_tyre_lever_with_wrench.aspx

With two tools in one, this gadget earns its place in your bike tool roll. BTW, those are New Zealand dollar prices - first site I could find 'em on.

Do CMW stock these?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 05:39:12 pm by Chasfield »
2001 500 Bullet Deluxe

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: March 14, 2010, 08:30:24 pm
Thanks for the useful list     ...........   I got to thinking about the tool kit that came with the bike. If you are out on the road, how are you supposed to remove the rear wheel with what's in the toolkit?

Here is a good link on how to remove rear wheel and change tyre.  Watch the video link. The motorcycle on video is older classic model that had chain on left side. The  newer EFI, UCE G5 and C5 bikes have chain on the right side.

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,3782.0.html

1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk