Author Topic: Stock vs Sports Silencer  (Read 13116 times)

JamesC5

• Bulleteer
on: March 14, 2010, 01:15:39 am
Hey everyone!

My sports (upswept) silencer will be in my hands in the next day or two! So I decided to grab my condenser microphone and record the stock (UK) muffler, and then the same with the upsweep for comparisons sake...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6e2RPyzV0zM

Once I've installed the new silencer I will set everything up the same and do another video, posting it here...

James
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 01:18:46 am by JamesC5 »
2009 Royal Enfield Bullet Classic C5
1951 Royal Enfield RE2 http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,4701.0.html
1989 XJ900 Custom Chopper

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 01:48:19 am
Thanks James, looking forward to it.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 01:49:43 am
Good idea, I think you'll like the upswept sound.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Marrtyn

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 02:30:53 pm
Bikes looking well James and hoping it is now trouble free.

Look forward to hearing the sports silencer.
Have looked on WS web site,and of all  the 3 silencers they offer, Sports , Gold Star and Classic Sports, it says "not suitable for road use" .
Now whats all that about?

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #4 on: March 14, 2010, 06:28:09 pm

Have looked on WS web site,and of all  the 3 silencers they offer, Sports , Gold Star and Classic Sports, it says "not suitable for road use" .

Ninnys.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

clubman

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: March 14, 2010, 06:59:50 pm

I noticed that too. And yet they'll sell you the Clubman with the Gold Star exhaust as standard so there's nothing else to use when it comes to MOT time. For what it's worth there are no stamps for or against road use on the pipe itself.

JamesC5

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 12:55:03 am
I think it's just WS trying to avoid any blame if a copper decides to have an issue with it.

Pretty much ANYTHING can be illegal these days, hell even the camera mount I bought for the bike is "Not for Road Use".

I tend not to give a crap about what's "legal" and only what's "lawful". Common sense and consideration of others is what's right not the 30,000 statutes the EU comes up with a year, hell there's probably policy on how many times you can eat apples a day now :p

Got the silencer! Once I get home tomorrow I'm going to install it, can't wait to try her out!
1951 Royal Enfield RE2 http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,4701.0.html

JamesC5

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: March 15, 2010, 01:01:30 pm
After some setbacks including having the bolt for the heat shield clip sheer off requiring it to be drilled out, joy, the sports silencer is installed!

And quite frankly, selling the bike with stock should be classed as criminal!! She's like a new bike and sounds so much better! Upon starting her up at first I didn't notice much in sound, however once its on the road and warmed up, wowza!

Throttle response seems way better, it sounds more like a real bike with some pops and pows now and then and less like a modern one.

One setback, I only have the main bracket installed at the moment, I'm guessing it requires the frame bolt pictured to be loosened and then placed in? or am I looking entirely in the wrong place? My crap spanner bent trying to loose the bolt so I was going to ride to a garage and have them loosen it for me...

« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 01:34:45 pm by JamesC5 »

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: March 15, 2010, 02:50:00 pm
There is a gas station near me that has racing fuel. On the pump it says "off road use only" on it.
It has a hose that is about 2 foot long and 4 poles around it so a car can't get close enough to use it.
My Triumph will slip between the poles and get close enough to fill it up.
So I pull up, fill up and go inside to pay and the guy behind the counter is screaming at me that it's off road fuel only.
I calmly tell him that I'm not using it on the road I'm using it in my bike and ask him if he wants my money.
I give him money, he gives me change and we both live happily ever after.
CJ
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #9 on: March 15, 2010, 03:18:10 pm
I calmly tell him that I'm not using it on the road I'm using it in my bike and ask him if he wants my money.
I give him money, he gives me change and we both live happily ever after.
CJ

CJ is the epitome of CALM.
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

Bullet Bill

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: March 15, 2010, 04:32:18 pm
T120rbullet:  "Now all you have to do is give me three and a half gallons of gasoline, hold the 10% ethanol, and you won't be breaking any rules."

Gas station attendant:  "You want me to hold the ethanol?"

T120rbullet:  "I want you to hold it between your knees."
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 06:10:28 pm by Bullet Bill »
There's something that doesn't make sense... let's go and poke it with a stick.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #11 on: March 15, 2010, 09:47:12 pm
James, yes you need to loosen the nut and slide the front mount behind it and tighten it all back up,  that upswept exhaust really wakes the C5 up dosen't it?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 01:39:17 am by r80rt »
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: March 16, 2010, 12:49:44 am
Br. James, do you plan to give us a video with the demo of the new sound?
Long live the Bullets and those who ride them!

Keep the shiny side up, the boots on the pegs and best REgards,

Papa Juan

REA:    Member No. 119
BIKE:   2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5
NAME: Perla

JamesC5

• Bulleteer
Reply #13 on: March 16, 2010, 11:33:12 am
Thanks Donnie will try and get that nut loose in a minute :)

The bike ROCKS with the new silencer, I guess I may notice it more than you guys as we were stuck with 2 cats not 1. Sounds sweet as pie!

Here's the video, just threw it up on Youtube, the condenser mic seems to pick up the audio quite well, youtube degrades it abit too much though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBfMa5o5qGk

Rusty

• Bulleteer
Reply #14 on: March 16, 2010, 01:46:00 pm
Good to see you're back up and running James.

My C5 will be brought out of hibernation this weekend and I'll fit the upswept exhaust as well. My dealer has the WS item @£120 but there's also the Hitchcock option, do you know if they're the same exhaust?