Author Topic: 32mm Mikuni flatslide  (Read 8750 times)

aleman

• Bulleteer
on: March 11, 2010, 09:28:28 pm
Hi folks,

I'm getting ready to purchase a TM32 Mikuni Flatslide to replace my Monobloc carb (will mate up to a Mondello head in the near future).  I would love to hear any comments any one would care to share about things like:

- cable end  match up.  Have an Amal cable in right now. 

- Jetting/tuning experiences.  It says it typically comes with 250 main, 45 pilot, 389q2 needle.  I'm not sure if  that  relates to Amal jet numbers or not, but I suspect not. 

- I have now idea if stock jetting is going to feed a ported head, etc.  I am hoping to order some jets for tuning at the same time I order the carb.

Or any other experience or comments about the carb.  I did  a search and found some general comments mostly about the roundslide version or the 30mm flatslide.

Thanks a lot,

aleman

FB 002

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 10:05:58 pm
At your elevation, you'll need to jet leaner than average.

Chances are that you will have to go down in jetting from what comes in the carb as standard. That carb is a bit rich for most lower elevations, so I think you'll be getting into somewhat smaller jets for your high elevation.

I don't have any info for that carb at high elevations.

Rick Sperko has the most complete data that I've seen for jetting a TM32 on a Bullet, but he's at least 5000 feet lower in elevation than you are.

Chumma will be jetting his TM32 next week on his Mondello head, so that will get us some data, but he's very near sea level, so that's almost 7000 feet lower than you.

The higher the elevation, the leaner the jetting needs to be.
Thin air needs less fuel to create the proper air/fuel ratio.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 10:10:03 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

aleman

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 10:54:18 pm

You know, I remembered that chart that Rick did and I was trying to find it earlier, but for some reason couldn't find it.  I just tried again and found it this time.  I either overlooked it or didn't have just the right search term.   Anyway great info.

Your comments are a help.  I am always prepared to equivalently "jet down" for my elevation but with the modified, etc. I wasn't sure  where I might fall in, in the beginning.   So that gives me some idea.

Yep, i'm looking forward to hearing about Chumma's work once he get his m-head in his hands!

Thanks Ace (and Rick),

aleman
FB 002

chumma7

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 01:00:17 am
Aleman
A great thing about the tm32 is that it takes the same jets that the vm series carbs do.
The tm33 does not, which is 1 reason why i decided to go with the tm32 instead of it.
The exact type of jets are:
Main jet = mikuni large hex - 4/042 (available from size #50-#720
Pilot jet= mikuni vm22/210 (available from #10-#120)
Needle jet = 389 series. (available from O-0 (leanest)- R-8 (richest)
Jet needle = 5 series

The jets that come stock on the carb are: #45 pilot, #250 main, and Q-2 needle jet, and 5FP17 jet needle.

All of these jets should be available at most local japanese motorcycle shops so we should have an easier time than with the amals where we had to order and wait for jets to be shipped to us. The mikuni differs from the amal in that they have different types of jet needles for leaner and richer applications.
I think rick had to change his jet needle to a leaner one on his stock 500. I am going to be running the one that came with the carb and see how it works out for our setups.

The Mondello head #001 is on it's way to me right now, I expect it here by Saturday and will be giving updates as I install. I'll take some pictures and will do a full writeup as I get into tuning and testing of the ace piston, mondello head and magnum cam combination. It's going to be a new adventure for me. Once all the tuning's sorted, it's off to the dyno!

Hi folks,

I'm getting ready to purchase a TM32 Mikuni Flatslide to replace my Monobloc carb (will mate up to a Mondello head in the near future).  I would love to hear any comments any one would care to share about things like:

- cable end  match up.  Have an Amal cable in right now.  

- Jetting/tuning experiences.  It says it typically comes with 250 main, 45 pilot, 389q2 needle.  I'm not sure if  that  relates to Amal jet numbers or not, but I suspect not.  

- I have now idea if stock jetting is going to feed a ported head, etc.  I am hoping to order some jets for tuning at the same time I order the carb.

Or any other experience or comments about the carb.  I did  a search and found some general comments mostly about the roundslide version or the 30mm flatslide.

Thanks a lot,

aleman

« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 01:04:09 am by chumma7 »
ACE Fireball 001

Rick Sperko

• Grand Gearhead
  • Milwaukee, WI
Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 02:13:59 am
After spending forever looking for the right needle, I finally had great success going down to P8 in the needle jet. I called all over and had a hard time finding the jet, but finally found it online (I cannot find any notes unfortunately). Last weekend I picked up the package where I keep all the brass I bought dialing it in, I almost sprained my arm lifting it. In the end after changing the needle jet I was almost back where I began (240).

I could not be happier with the carb. It does make me think about the Mondello head... a lot.

-Rick
Rick in Milwaukee, WI

'06 RE Bullet Classic Iron
'63 VW Beetle Ragtop (also classic)
'66 Chris Craft Cavalier Cutlass 26'
'02 BMW R1150R

HMR

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 07:40:24 am

The exact type of jets are:
Main jet = mikuni large hex - 4/042 (available from size #50-#720
Pilot jet= mikuni vm22/210 (available from #10-#120)
Needle jet = 389 series. (available from O-0 (leanest)- R-8 (richest)
Jet needle = 5 series

The jets that come stock on the carb are: #45 pilot, #250 main, and Q-2 needle jet, and 5FP17 jet needle.

The Mondello head #001 is on it's way to me right now, I expect it here by Saturday and will be giving updates as I install. I'll take some pictures and will do a full writeup as I get into tuning and testing of the ace piston, mondello head and magnum cam combination. It's going to be a new adventure for me. Once all the tuning's sorted, it's off to the dyno!

Chumma hi,

I am running a VM34 Mikuni on my AVL 500 with these specs

Mikuni VM 34 for LB 500
Jet needle 159N8
Needle Jet 6DH4
Main jets (large hex 4/042) 220, 200
Pilot Jet #30, #27.5
Throttle  Valve (slide) - 2.5  (VM34/110 2.5)
K&N Air Filter
Free flow exhaust
NGK BPR9EIX spark plug

I was wondering what what jetting are you using for your cast iron 500 on the VM34? My cast iron 535 has an hi-comp Accralite piston and the same free flow set-up as above.

Thanks
HMR
Mumbai

aleman

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: March 12, 2010, 08:23:57 pm
Thanks for the info Chumma.  I don't yet have a tm32 in my hands so that gives me an idea of what I'm going to be dealing with.  Waiting for ten days for something like jets to show up from England was a bit of a drag.  So that's cool about the availability.

It sounds like the Mikuni is a completely different animal to tune.  Should be fun.  Good luck with your Mondello head!

aleman
FB 002

aleman

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: March 12, 2010, 08:43:51 pm
Thanks Rick for the needle jet info.  Man, you went to some real effort to get that thing dialed in!  Glad to hear your happy with it though.  I think I remember one of your comments from past posts that there are about a million jets for this carb - it sounds like it.  According to our man Ace, the design of his Mondelllo head is pretty much tailored around the TM32 Flatslide.  So, your part where there Rick.

Take care of your wrist. 

aleman
FB 002

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: March 13, 2010, 12:14:24 am
I use the 32mm flat-slide for maintaining inlet tract velocity, while still providing enough bulk flow volume.

My cams are designed to work best with high flow velocity, so that's the story with this carb and my Fireball kit.
The 32mm flat-slide is a high velocity design that flows as much as the Mondello port can deliver, so it's a good match.

aleman

• Bulleteer
Reply #9 on: March 13, 2010, 01:06:16 am
Thanks for clarifying that Ace.  I just meant to suggest that there was a well thought out reason for recommending this carb for the fireball package.

aleman
FB 002

coinzy

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: March 13, 2010, 10:16:20 am
I see a TM32 on epay now,all the adjustments are on the left,is there a left and right hand version like the VM's
coinz

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: March 13, 2010, 07:22:43 pm
I see a TM32 on epay now,all the adjustments are on the left,is there a left and right hand version like the VM's
coinz

I've seen some photos of TM32 carbs with the idle screw on the right side, but the pilot screw is still on the left.
All the TM32 carbs that I've actually bought or seen in person have all the adjustment screws on the left side.

coinzy

• Scooter
Reply #12 on: March 14, 2010, 05:17:41 am
Thanks Ace,it also looks like the fuel inlet may be over the right hand side in which case there may be one that has that on the left,i'll make some enquiries.
coinz

Hog Head

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: March 22, 2010, 03:06:28 am
I have a matched pair of TM-32's off a Suzuki 250 Gamma (2 stroke) and thinking of using one for the RE in conjunction with ACE Clubman cams and a HD pan/shovel 87mm piston

Head will be stock with cleaned up valve pockets and a good 3 angle valve job.
Pipe is a gutted RE unit, and conical K&N filter

Since these carbs are off a 2 stroke I suspect the jetting will be all wrong.
Any educated guesses as where to start?
Ducati Supersport S
Harley XR1200
Triumph T-120 Bonnie (Hinkley)
RE 650 Interceptor
Harley XL1200R

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: March 22, 2010, 12:05:59 pm
I have a matched pair of TM-32's off a Suzuki 250 Gamma (2 stroke) and thinking of using one for the RE in conjunction with ACE Clubman cams and a HD pan/shovel 87mm piston

It's hard to say, because there are variables like elevation.

I'd probably plug in a 40 pilot and maybe a 240 main, and that should get it started up and running.
Then you'll have to play with it from there.

single

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: March 22, 2010, 01:55:25 pm
Probly stating the obvious here but isn't it likely that with the Mondello head and Ace piston and cams,that jetting will become closer from one bike to another,what with the parts being more consistent in machining and all?Not really asking,just thinking out loud,kinda.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: March 22, 2010, 02:28:42 pm
To some degree that may be so.
But it's quite variable based on the ambient air pressure, which is dictated by the elevation above sea level.

Hog Head

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: March 23, 2010, 01:38:08 am

Forgot to mention elevation
300m and ambient tem is always between 25-35 C

Ducati Supersport S
Harley XR1200
Triumph T-120 Bonnie (Hinkley)
RE 650 Interceptor
Harley XL1200R