Author Topic: Oil Levels Revisited.  (Read 4647 times)

dhanisch

• Scooter
  • Long timer
on: March 08, 2010, 01:15:59 pm
Weird.  I did the 300 mile 1st oil change after laying the bike up for the long, long winter.  I put in 2 liters of oil, which completely filled the bloody sight window.  Rode the bike a bit, rechecked.  Still above the sight window.  Drained oil out to the point where the level dropped to the upper mark.  Rode a few miles; waited a few minutes then rechecked the level.  now the level is at the lower mark.  Added oil to just below top mark, restarted engine.  Now the level is back ABOVE the sight window.  What gives?  Like someone else, the small o-ring on the filter housing is missing, would that have anything to do with this strangeness.  And yes, it WAS on the Center stand.
Input appreciated.

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 01:24:45 pm
Don't beat yourself up too bad. It's a PITA to get it just right. It's real easy to overfill it.
I usually fill it up real slow and stop just when it reaches the bottom of the window.
Take it out for a ride and check it later.
CJ 
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 03:56:56 pm
As CJ has pointed out don't sweat too much.  After several oil changes on my G5, I pour in carefully measured 1.7 to 1.8 liters of oil and it reaches UPPER mark on the window.  Any more than that, even 0.2 liters (200 ml), will pass the top of window.  With 1.8 liters of oil, you can safely ride and the oil level will stay within upper and lower marks (closer to upper).

When draining old oil, It is a good idea to tilt the bike to the left and then right to remove all the dirty oil.  Some owners gently kick with foot once or twice, without starting the engine, to remove oil from the engine.  Also wet the clean oil filter before replacement.

Happy riding. 

1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

dhanisch

• Scooter
  • Long timer
Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 04:26:22 pm
Thanks guys, I did everything  but stand the little beast on it's head to get all the oil out.  Love the bike, including the hair-pulling Brit design cues.  The whole oil filter deal is absurd.  How may parts to make the whole?  Reminds me of my Lee-Enfield rifles.  Why use one part when you can use 6?
Will drain a bit more out and pray.  How about the little o-ring in the filter housing cover?  Does it actually DO anything?

csbdr

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 06:43:19 pm
I'd been essentially running without the o-ring, as mine tore at some point and I'm sure wasn't sealing anything.  My dealer, who specializes in classic brit iron, can't think of a single reason why that thing is there, and advised leaving it off.  No problems so far....

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 10:19:11 pm
This is the fix for that pesky oil filter cap ...... It's available from CMW - No more torn o-ring and filter bypassing! - Plus - You'll not risk turning the bike over to compress the darn spring .....  ;)
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 10:22:51 pm
How do I get one of those handy dandy items?
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

hocko

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: March 08, 2010, 11:30:36 pm
Are they a locally sourced item ie US, is there a part number or reference I could make enquires locally here in Oz, failing that a price for the item.

Thanks

:)

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: March 09, 2010, 04:13:39 am
Thanks guys, I did everything  but stand the little beast on it's head to get all the oil out.  Love the bike, including the hair-pulling Brit design cues.  The whole oil filter deal is absurd.  How may parts to make the whole?  Reminds me of my Lee-Enfield rifles.  Why use one part when you can use 6?
Will drain a bit more out and pray.  How about the little o-ring in the filter housing cover?  Does it actually DO anything?

The oil filter design is certainly very REish - Well, if it was not, it will be too Japanese !  How else would your hands get dirty ? ;D There is not much else to tweak - I mean valves, points, carburator, etc. Strange but without these niggling parts, touching and caressing, there will be no bonding with the bike.

Some one has to sell 6 other parts and rags too and RE makes sure they don't go out of business  ;D.  
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 02:00:30 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

dhanisch

• Scooter
  • Long timer
Reply #9 on: March 09, 2010, 01:19:34 pm
Good point.  Here's to spare parts.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #10 on: March 09, 2010, 03:38:20 pm
How do I get one of those handy dandy items?

Part number Z91501 for the G5 - part number Z91502 for the C5. Either one for $39.95. That will be the END of the miserable filter changing on the UCE engine .... it'll be .... EASY after you get one!! Hahaha!!

thefieldworker

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: March 09, 2010, 08:18:51 pm
Fantastic! I will be ordering one right away. That oil filter cap has been truly annoying. Thank you for pointing out this part, Scooter Bob.

Now why can't I find this part on the website?

hocko

• Grease Monkey
Reply #12 on: March 09, 2010, 10:07:55 pm
Part number Z91501 for the G5 - part number Z91502 for the C5. Either one for $39.95. That will be the END of the miserable filter changing on the UCE engine .... it'll be .... EASY after you get one!! Hahaha!!

ScooterBob, is this a genuine RE part or an aftermarket item, just thinking that if it's genuine RE I should be able to get it from the Aussie Distributor.

Thanks again  :)

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #13 on: March 10, 2010, 01:14:55 am
 All of the sight glasses I have seen to date have tiny "bleed holes" in the metal behind the glass.
 It is customary for the sight glass level ( indicated ) to lag behind the actual fluid level by several to many seconds as the actual fluid level changes.

The thicker the fluid, the longer the wait for accurate indication.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #14 on: March 10, 2010, 01:24:38 am
ScooterBob, is this a genuine RE part or an aftermarket item, just thinking that if it's genuine RE I should be able to get it from the Aussie Distributor.

Thanks again  :)

This is a genuine ScooterBob Part! I made this out of utter frustration at the OEM design - we are the only ones to have it to date. It's SO new it isn't on the website yet .... It is composed of all OEM RE parts except for one screw ....