aboard

Author Topic: A new Enfield special manufacture in Italy  (Read 17277 times)

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #30 on: March 17, 2010, 04:45:30 pm
Don Pistone, that's a very good photo of you!  ::)

Ciao
Long live the Bullets and those who ride them!

Keep the shiny side up, the boots on the pegs and best REgards,

Papa Juan

REA:    Member No. 119
BIKE:   2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5
NAME: Perla

pistone

• Scooter
Reply #31 on: March 18, 2010, 01:19:49 am

Was taken when I was young, before change my job....

Now I like to work on bikes and "shot" engines instead of men   ;D

pistone

• Scooter
Reply #32 on: March 21, 2010, 07:35:14 am

Look at this http://www.sumpmagazine.com/Mc-Deeb.htm

Somebody in Chenai has read it and called us....

;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #33 on: March 21, 2010, 03:55:32 pm
Just read that that Thruxton is 14K pouinds.  That's around $22K USD... !   That's a lot of love there.
Run what ya brung

pistone

• Scooter
Reply #34 on: March 22, 2010, 05:47:47 pm

The price can seem high but you have to consider that on the "top" version there are the following modifications & changed parts:

clip on handlebar
vintage Doherty handgrips , brake and clutch levers
Amal decompressor & choke levers
vintage Cev switchers
vintage "idiot lights"
new front and rear light
new fork jokes
Smiths instruments (racing rev meter & tachometer)
special brake cables and wires
special shoepads
modified drum plates and alloy cooling rings
stainless spokes & alloy rims
sport tyres
special rear shocks
new fork inner parts
new electric wiring
Avon half-fairing and mountings (with lower sidepanels included)
alloy fuel tank, froint & rear mudguards , battery cover and toolbox
Monza cap and racing fuel tap
mudguard mountings and seat support
seat
rear set (with turnable gear change lever) and kickstarter
backswept pipe & fishtail silencer
alloy engine plates
handmade gold pinstriping
stainless bolts and various accessories (chain tension adjusters and so on)
Amal racing carburettor with its manifold and bellmouth
Flowed head ports ( different level of tuning for the engine)
Paint and other finishing on customer's request

Two persons work on each Thruxton we manufacture about 200/250 hours..
That's true: it is a question of love  :)

pistone

• Scooter
Reply #35 on: March 23, 2010, 04:23:20 am
About the cost of our Thruxton which probably worry Uncle Ernie  ;)  we like to explain it  as follow:

1)price depends on which level of equipment is requested: the Thruxton (as Clubman and Six Days showed in our website and by some magazines) being show bikes  assembled for exhibitions and test,  are "full optionals", but good bikes can be obtained with a lower budget, too.

2) The price is  included a brand new Bullet , but it can be lower if the donor bike is supplied by the customer (we can also find well used Bullets at a cheap price , eventually overhauled if needs).We are going to offer also conversion kit and separate parts, avoiding problems and cost to export complete bikes.

3) Lot of components are handmade by skill artisans and on the next 12 production bikes (already sold) we are manufacturing at this moment, nothing is bought from external suppliers , incluiding the alloy fuel tank (which is a bit larger as on the pictured bike).

To check which level of finishing and equipment our bikes has,  look at this gallery :

http://www.mcdeeb.it/Thruxton%20Gallery/index.html   (page 1, 2 and 3)

A picture is better as thousand words.....

Cheers

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #36 on: March 23, 2010, 09:30:00 am
Questions;

1)  How does an Italian company come by a name that sounds Irish?
2) Did you trade the shifter and brake pedals for a better "feeL"?  Can the stock set-up (shifter on the left) be maintained?
3)  Does that Brooklnds muffler hang down any further that other mufflers?  Will it scrape?  How much is it?
4)  Seems a shame to paint a custom aluminium tank.  Is the Thruxton tank available un-painted?
5)  I see the rear shocks are adjustable fore and aft -as on some turely vintage machines.  What effect does that have on the handling (or is it mainly for looks)?
Run what ya brung

pistone

• Scooter
Reply #37 on: March 23, 2010, 11:27:18 am

McDeeb doesn't sound Irish but Scottish, guy ! 

Curiously, my grandmother told me severalk times that her parents had half Scottish half Austrian origins, but the real reason of that "strange" name is that my dad nickname was Dib.
Dib sounds similar to Deeb (Dib came from Di Bella, my own family name since several hundreds year) so a friend of mine told that due to my "insane" passion for British bikes, "McDeeb"  could be better. isn't enough?

About the right gear change: the bike showed was originally fitted with it by the factory, so it work well !

Mostly of the other Bullets we customize are left gear change.

We never make conversions from right to left gear change, so cannot say if the performance is worst or the same as the original.

The Brooklands muffler works fine (less as a megatone but also less loudly) ,  the noise is not so high to have problems, also if this exhaust is not "road legal".
Its position is so closer to the bike side that scratch it on the ground could be the last problem because you scratch you ears before the fishtail ;D

The position of the rear shocks can be adjusted to change the handling : if the high is bolted to the position in the picture, the rear is a bit higher (with softer damping and a less angle for the steering, making quicker entering the bike in the corner, good for mountain roads)
on the opposite, the vertical position of shocks, make the rear lower (and the steering angle wider) as the harder damping give more stability on fast roads.

Thiis solution was patented by Veloce Ltd (manufacturer of Velocette motorcycles) but used also from  some other brands, since the bikes had two shocks: lift up the rear of a motorcycles can influence the handling...so we make it both for the Velocette look as for the function.

Chhers
Fabrizio

pistone

• Scooter
Reply #38 on: March 24, 2010, 08:21:54 am
I forgot another question:

on the standard equippped Thruxton and Clubman , being two Velocette lookalike, we paint the fuel tanks in black or silver grey.

On the Thruxton the standard tank is made in alloy (as all the other body parts) so could be strange to cover the shining metal...but the customer can have it polished instead of painted.

On the Clubman the standard tank is in sheet metal  (alloy equipment is on request) so must be painted or chromed.

Your funny mistake, dear Uncle Ernie  ;), is to consider the McDeeb as "stock" motorcycles" instead of "limited productiion specials" we are manufactoring for all customers under their own requests.

So prices have to be checked: the bikes showed are fitted with all the possible optionals (and sometimes a bit more...) but the next bikes we are already assembling have different levels of equipment, and different prices.

Isn't it clear enough?

Stay in contact.
Fabrizio "McDeeb" Di Bella

Darth Sid

• Bulleteer
  • 99999 km - Time to travel back in time...
Reply #39 on: March 29, 2010, 04:31:07 am
I know many have already said it but I'll say it anyway. That Thruxton is one beautiful bike, probably one of the most beautiful Bullets I've ever seen!!
"If it ain't broke to bits, don't fix it!"

1979 Enfield India Bullet 350 "Old Faithful"
2010 Bajaj Pulsar 220
2012 KTM Duke 200 "Bad Puppy"

pistone

• Scooter
Reply #40 on: March 29, 2010, 05:45:00 am

Thanks Sid !

(Are you that "Sid" ?    ;)       (joke)

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #41 on: March 29, 2010, 07:54:08 am
"Your funny mistake, dear Uncle Ernie  , is to consider the McDeeb as "stock" motorcycles" instead of "limited productiion specials" we are manufactoring for all customers under their own requests."

Sorry- I didn't mean to imply anything negative.

I'm curious about engine set-up.  Anything / everyting available ala carte?  Do you plan "standard" -or perhaps I should say "base-line- modifications?
Run what ya brung

pistone

• Scooter
Reply #42 on: March 30, 2010, 05:49:36 am

Absolutely no problem ,Uncle Ernie !     :)

(maybe my "artisan English" makes little misunderstandings)

Our job is to offer complete specials on our domestic market , assembled mainly on brand new Bullets but also on used bikes found by us or already owned by the customers, too.

As you know , there are several diferences between various Bullet versions; here we have "classic engine s", "first generation of Euro 2 engines" then "AVL Euro 2, pratically the 2.nd generation" and finally the EFI UCE engines.

Also about the frames, also between bikes fitted with the same engine type, there are differences from "classic" and "Electra" or other models , so we had to develop tanks, mudguards and its supports (and for the seat, too) for different mountings.

Also some big Enfield tuners are considering what could be better to do , avoiding to waste time and money.

Thanks to our quite small dimensions, we can supply pieces for all Bullets having in stock mostly parts (and it will became larger during the next months) while for particular needs we can make it "a la carte" as you told.

I don't know which kind of tuning or customizations you like but ask us , if you need it, and we'll let you know about our products suitable on your bike.

We are receiving requests from some Countries and it makes a little delay in processing it, but we reply to all persons who contact us..

Cheers  ;)
Fabrizio

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #43 on: March 30, 2010, 03:40:25 pm
You are able to get more from an AVL than I can. I have replaced carb and exhaust for a little improvement, but can get no where near 92mph. I am curious about the head work you do. Any chance you will be selling performance parts.

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #44 on: March 30, 2010, 07:59:20 pm

We have spent some days in testing on the dyno (thanks to my past job in kawasaki off road R&D dept.) but aloso on the road.

We tested an AVL engine with standard capacity in different state of mild tuning.

With the Euro 2 rules after a proper running in (in means with airbox and standard filter, caburettor, pipe and silencer ) using normal fuel we had 22,5 HP at the rear wheel  (not so bad but not so good, too)
The same engine without the airbox and a new setting has only 1 HP more, but the real iprovement we obtained with an open exhaust we tested in several ways.
After some comparizon betwwen different carburettor, we checked the best coupling carburettor type/exhaust type.
NOTE: The head was flowed by us.                  

Now that is a lot of performance from a 500 cc engine. What performave mods would you recommend , say, to increase the cruising speed (without engine stress) to about 70-75 mph.  I asked you this question in a PM also, but would appreciate a response in the open forum as well to stimulate more discussion.

I have a 2009 electra AVL with a relatively free exhaust, rejet stock carb and a KnN filter : http://www.amazon.com/DU-0100-Replacement-Air-Filter/dp/B000FGJQY0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1269997053&sr=8-1 .

I am no way near that kind of speed with these mods. I guess I would also need a set of rear disk breaks at that speed also.

Thanks