Author Topic: 80 MHP  (Read 22335 times)

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
Reply #30 on: December 10, 2007, 09:47:22 pm
No-one has yet mentioned that can't do without extra for touring; the sat nav.  :o
Well, actually it is very good for getting accurate speeds so one can see where the std fitted speedo is out by 'X' amount etc.
Worth knowing I feel even if just so that you know your 80mph is actually 75 or whatever etc.
If gearing is changed then it also helps you to recognise the new speedo readings that relate to the bikes genuine speed.

OT slightly but I used a TomTom sat nav to calibrate speedo error on my Honda VTR with its electrical sensor speedo. I then fitted a device called a 'speedo healer' that was calibrated to alter the pulses so that when the speedo was indicating 100mph (on a closed private test track etc  ::)) the sat nav indicated 100.2mph. Good enough for me!!!
If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #31 on: December 11, 2007, 02:10:34 am
Ihit80+ on ine at just unedr2000 miles. After putting the 19 tooth on it, it doesn't want to do it anymore. Don't care. It cruises at 60 barely off an idle. Cruises at 70 effortlessly too. I could probably get 85-90 with a tail wind, but we don't get those much here. I live on the coast and the wind is always hitting me from the side. That's probably why I don't get top speed too often. A 20 mph side wind tendsto slow you up a bit.

Adrian

Reply #32 on: December 11, 2007, 08:37:14 pm
A 19 tooth sprocket would definitely leave mine over-geared for my riding.  I did some checking on overall gear ratios in top, a late 1950's Bullet worked out at about 4.9:1, and the standard Big Head models were supposed to be good performers. A modern Indian Classic's gearing with the 17 tooth sprocket is very close at 5:1. Going to 18 and 19 teeth on the Electra may make for a more relaxed cruiser, but what you're saying seems to confirm what others have told me, it won't let the motor rev out in 5th gear!

There was a UK Enfield dealer who used to race a 500 Indian (Classic) Bullet and actually geared it DOWN with a 16 tooth sprocket to get it to rev out in top, quite the opposite of what you would expect.

It's a bit irrelevant at the moment as I'm waiting for a replacement clutch cable... :(

DaveG297

• Bulleteer
Reply #33 on: December 11, 2007, 08:52:44 pm
Boy, am I late.  Lots to read on this here forum.   Unarmed combat.   That happened to me only once.   Guy ripped my arms off and beat me to death with them.   And my Bullet, The Cool Bullet, will go 85 ...........downhill.   I like it just fine at 50 or so.   As you can see, I'm still alive, barely, and I lied about the arms thing.   I wish it was spring already.          PS...DId you guys see the Group Pic sent by Kevin..........nice looking kids, huh............dave g in cold MIchigan.  I bet Hutch is pissed about the cold...........d

hutch

• Grease Monkey
  • Til death do us part
Reply #34 on: December 12, 2007, 12:59:11 am
You must be talking about the freezing rain and sleet that is slowly wearing my windows down thinner and thinner as I type. It is beginning to grate on my nerves even faster than the windows.  What is nice is knowing that in a short 4and1/2 months I can ride again. Thanks for reminding me Dave!!!  Hutch
« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 01:30:56 am by hutch »
You learn from your mistakes, and I have LEARNED a lot.

Tiny Tim

• Bulleteer
Reply #35 on: December 12, 2007, 08:49:34 am
The speedometers on all Enfields are reliably unreliable.

The odometer however is remarkably accurate.

If you want to have an accurate indication of speed, one option is to fit a cycle computer which picks up a pulse from a small magnet which you need to glue (araldite) to the front rim.

Take time to set it up right. The accuracy depends on the distance travelled per revolution of the front wheel. The best way to do this is to ride forward for a number of revolutions and measure the distance travelled with a long tape.

Pythagoras and tire measurements are OK but they don't take inflatable tires and Adrian's weight into account.

The other advantage is that you will then also have a trip odometer so you will know how much range you have after each fill-up.

REgards

Tiny Tim
REgards

Tiny Tim

"Whilst it isn't possible to polish a turd, you can always roll it in glitter"

2005 Electra AVL

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #36 on: December 12, 2007, 03:12:55 pm
The other advantage is that you will then also have a trip odometer so you will know how much range you have after each fill-up.

I have a friend with a Suzuki S-40.  He carries a felt tip pen and writes his fill-up mileage on the chrome gas cap since it wipes off easily.  Sometimes his riding buddies will change a number or just wipe it clean for him.  Great fun!
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

TRider

• Bulleteer
Reply #37 on: December 12, 2007, 09:09:18 pm
The speedometers on all Enfields are reliably unreliable.

I beg your pardon.  I own a new Enfield Electra, new tech you know, and I have you know its reliable within 5 to 8 mph.  Thats close enough man.

indian48

• Bulleteer
Reply #38 on: December 12, 2007, 09:34:08 pm
I still think that having a decent odo is all one needs on the bike. Re filling the tank, I have adopted what Kiwichick I think posted - top up the tank everytime the bike does 250kms - simple to remember, to get into the gas station at 1000, 1250, 1500 and so on and top up. That way the tank never really empties, because each top up then is about 6.5-7 litres at a time, in a 15 litre tank. Easy way to keep track of the fuel consumption as well, a key measure of how the bike is working too.For the milers, its not so convenient as it is for us metric people. Another reason for the hold outs to go metric??!!
Funny thing about metric in India though, and it did take me a long time to compute in kms in my head, without converting to miles to understand; but now here we use kms for speed and distance. But for height of people, we still seem to use feet/inches. For fluid and weight quantities, it is metric. For body weight, we use both, and I have only recently started to compute in my head with kgs. For body temperature, we are more comfortable understanding in Fahrenheit, while for weather, we prefer to use centigrade. Engineers talk mostly in microns now, and not so much of thou. If I look around, I am sure I will find more of such stuff!
Seems chaotic, but seems to work pretty well for us!
If anything is worth doing, it is worth doing well

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #39 on: December 13, 2007, 03:34:47 am
i've gone 176 but not on my RE_E only around 60 so far.. on it. I mean after all the speed limitis are 45. or lower where I ride... and there is a community to support ::)

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #40 on: December 13, 2007, 05:17:25 am
If we talking about how fast - I have been over 1000 mph.. but not on the ground. :)
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

indian48

• Bulleteer
Reply #41 on: December 13, 2007, 05:39:00 am
lol,,,nice one Ragman ;D
If anything is worth doing, it is worth doing well

LJRead

Reply #42 on: December 13, 2007, 06:05:00 am

With regard to metric measurements, it's a pain for me, too.  I worked for many years doing chemical stuff and the measurements in metric were fine, but for my woodworking, I still use inches and feet.  India, having inherited many such things during British rule must really be a hodgepodge since, if you look at British measurement, especially the archaic kind, you find all sorts of odd terms and usage.  In New Zealand, I had to get used to 'stones' for body weight.  Gradually the old brain cells are adapting, but fortunately I don't have to measure much these days.  Look on an old British sailing chart and you find another whole world of odd terms.

So how fast is 80 mph? Wow, metric sounds faster, let's go metric!

I'm getting comfortable with km and litres for driving, so I suppose there's hope.  Now if I can only learn to stay on my own side of the road (is it left or is it right?)

exiledcarper

• Bulleteer
Reply #43 on: December 17, 2007, 04:00:43 pm
It may be  a tad Imperialist of me Larry, but I don't see anyting wrong with good old British measurements, Fahrenhiet is more accurate than Celsius for tempearture, for example, being a smaller increment.  I guess what really irks me is the fact that it's now illegal to use British Measurements in Britain for any type of trade or commerce.  One shopkeeper in the N.E. of England was even famously sent to prison when he insisted on selling his fruit and veg by the pounds and ounces.  Talk about losing your sovereignty F.F. Sake, it makes my blood boil!!!!!!  The owner of my local(when I still lived in the U.K.) fishing tackle shop was even threatened with prosecution for continuing to sell maggots ( a very popular bait) by the pint.  His answer, in true British spirit, was to sell a MEASURE of maggots.  Guess what he used as a measure?  You've got it, a PINT glass, brilliant! One measure or two Sir?
  Sad reality is though, that the French and their counterparts, forced the E.E.C. laws on us and nowadays ENGLISH children leave school with no knowledge of ENGLISH measurements, bloody sacriledge, if you ask me!!  I mean who wants to by 250 grammes of anything, cokeheads apart, it's so damned impersonal.
  Well that's my rant of the day over with, I hope you're doing well and dodging the typhoons Larry.
                                                                  Regards,
                                                                  Vern.

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #44 on: December 17, 2007, 06:20:22 pm
Vern,

I for one enjoyed your rant!

Back in the summer of '79 our Virginia Shell gas stations converted to liters (or litres if you prefer...how's that for consistency...).

That lasted less than a couple of months and they haven attempted it again!

I don't really care if we go metric as long as my kids will do the conversions for poor old dad.

It's when we stray from good old George, Abe, Alexander and the gang on our folding and jingling monies that I'll have to start forming my milita!  ;)

Matt