Author Topic: 80 MHP  (Read 22352 times)

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: December 06, 2007, 12:43:04 am
that speed seems a little fast for this lightweight bike.. i will have to try it :P

when I get It broken in   ???   it's 26 here now..  :(

hutch

• Grease Monkey
  • Til death do us part
Reply #16 on: December 06, 2007, 01:44:17 am
that speed seems a little fast for this lightweight bike.. i will have to try it :P

when I get It broken in   ???   it's 26 here now..  :(
Scotty, my Savage with chain drive runs 90+ and weighs less than the Bullet. Handles the speed fine, but it does sit lower also. Was 9 degrees this morning and got up to whopping 19 today. Temps have been, and are expected to be 10 degrees below normal for a while. they have been for2 weeks so far.   Hutch
You learn from your mistakes, and I have LEARNED a lot.

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: December 06, 2007, 02:40:28 am
The forecast for here told me it would be 33 degrees today.   It wasn't - didn't get above 23 all day, been snowing all day too, forecast said no snow today..  If it was not so cold, I would be out on the Ural, but my joints don't like this cold.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: December 06, 2007, 03:15:21 am
my joints don't like the cold either.. hard to keep them lit and warm :-\ ;)

TRider

• Bulleteer
Reply #19 on: December 06, 2007, 01:08:01 pm
It was 44 degrees when I left the house this morning.   My goodness it was cold.

LJRead

Reply #20 on: December 06, 2007, 06:40:47 pm

We may have a hurricane on our hands this weekend. Everything is pretty snugged down around my place.  Early in the season for a hurricane though.  Hope this doesn't portend for more to come.

My comments in the thread above were also tongue-in-cheek, as I'm sure you realized, Terry.  Age has its privileges, and one seems to be that you get a little more respect and a little less confrontation in everyday life.  It is very safe here in Tonga, as long as you don't go looking for trouble.  Possibly the safest country in the world. 

LJRead

Reply #21 on: December 06, 2007, 06:43:17 pm

It is very safe here in Tonga, as long as you don't go looking for trouble.  Possibly the safest country in the world. 

I should add that it is safe here with the exception of physical forces like hurricanes and earthquakes, to which we are prone.

Adrian

Reply #22 on: December 07, 2007, 01:27:32 pm
LJ,

I don't think anywhere in the world can be guaranteed to be truly safe :o. I know I have an appointment with a wooden box one day, though hopefully not as a result of riding an Electra-X enthusiastically...

Getting back to the 80 MPH topic, it's worth noting that a 1955 Bullet was road tested at 85 MPH when new, so it's not unreasonable to expect an Electra-X with its mechancial improvements to equal that at least, though you'll most likely need an aftermarket carburettor and exhaust to make it happen.

Adrian

TRider

• Bulleteer
Reply #23 on: December 07, 2007, 01:32:58 pm
[
Getting back to the 80 MPH topic, it's worth noting that a 1955 Bullet was road tested at 85 MPH when new, so it's not unreasonable to expect an Electra-X with its mechancial improvements to equal that at least, though you'll most likely need an aftermarket carburettor and exhaust to make it happen.

Adrian

I neglected to add that my Electra does have the CMW Performance Kit, which included a different exhaust and carb.

Terry

indian48

• Bulleteer
Reply #24 on: December 08, 2007, 01:08:20 am
Isnt the Bullet less about speed, but more about enjoying the ride and all you are passing through?
Here's a thought to dwell on - would we enjoy the ride more, or less, if the bike did not have speedometer?!
If anything is worth doing, it is worth doing well

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: December 08, 2007, 02:31:36 am
One thing I notice, when riding the Bullet, is that I don't look at the speedo most of the time. Occasionally the wind feels different, so I look, but most of the time, I just go with the bike.

Same applies to the Ural - I have figured how it sounds at the township speed limits, and the rest of the time, just go.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

LJRead

Reply #26 on: December 08, 2007, 03:09:43 am

Ever since I joined this forum and especially the one in Yahoo, the main theme seems to be getting that little extra bit of speed. 

You know, it is interesting that you mention the speedometer.  Is there a way I can have a small gizmo tracking the mileage and do away with the speedometer and also the tachometer, both of which are superfluous at the speeds I will be making?  I have, like everyone else, a tachometer in my car and other cars I have owned, but have almost never looked at them.  There was a Harley, a really nice one, on Ebay, that was custom made without the instruments to give a cleaner look.  But I would like to know how far I have driven between servicing intervals.  Do they make a small, simple odometer?

indian48

• Bulleteer
Reply #27 on: December 08, 2007, 03:24:35 am
I would recommend leaving things as they are, but looking at just the ones you need to look at - just ignore the speedo needle.
Tachs are needed on modern engines, because with all the NVH measures, unless you have a tach, its hard to say if the engine is running, let alone what revs it is doing! Even so, gear changes on manual shifts can still be done by seat of the pants about how the engine is pulling/not pulling the load. In a Bullet, where one can hear the engine loud and clear all the time, I see no use for an instrument to count the revs! Other than my ears and whats in between them. And a feel for the load on the engine at any point in time based on how it responds to the throttle.
That is why I got the bullet, so that I do not have the video game feeling that modern cars confer on you most of the time.

SRL790

• Grease Monkey
  • 1954 350
Reply #28 on: December 08, 2007, 02:59:21 pm
Here's a thought to dwell on - would we enjoy the ride more, or less, if the bike did not have speedometer?!

My cable broke about a month ago.  Still waiting on a new one from CMW (probably has to come from UK).  By rough calculation I've covered about 700 miles without it and don't really miss it, apart from knowing when to stop to get gas and when the next oil change is due..
« Last Edit: December 08, 2007, 03:05:47 pm by SRL790 »
Andy Wiltshire
54 350 Bullet, 62 Jaguar MK II, 68 BSA Spitfire, 69 BSA Starfire
70 Bonneville, 71 Bonneville, 71 BSA B25T, 74 Jensen Healey
74 Honda XR75, 81 Yamaha MX80, 82 Suzuki GS1100G

indian48

• Bulleteer
Reply #29 on: December 08, 2007, 04:45:04 pm
What you mean Andy, is that the odometer is useful, to keep track of the longer term things, but the speedometer is redundant!