Author Topic: 80 MHP  (Read 22341 times)

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #45 on: December 18, 2007, 06:17:29 am
Would that countries just stayed the same...  It truly makes me weep to see so much being changed for the convenience of so few. I work in Imperial measure, all the time, and do not work in metric. If I had to, I would just give up, and go be a hermit somewhere. I loved Britain, when I lived there, and my memories are all of the Old England, that unfortunately does not exist any more. This a terrible shame, and it will soon engulf the entire planet, in modernistic uniformity, making life unbearable to many.   Why did we go so wrong?
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

TRider

• Bulleteer
Reply #46 on: December 18, 2007, 01:57:58 pm
I got my Electra up to 105mph last night while climbing a steep hill with the wind coming at me on a dirt road.  It was truly amazing.  I'm not lying.

prof_stack

Reply #47 on: December 18, 2007, 02:20:42 pm
I got my Electra up to 105mph last night while climbing a steep hill with the wind coming at me on a dirt road.  It was truly amazing.  I'm not lying.
I think you just made Santa's "naughty" list, in either case.   ;)

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #48 on: December 18, 2007, 07:01:03 pm
You should maybe fix the speedo.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #49 on: December 18, 2007, 07:17:40 pm

I believe it. I was driving mine into work today. I hit 79mph when I was backing out of my parking space. Then I started the engine. My average speed to work (13 mile commute) was 97mph. Then I shifted into 2nd. I was flying along at 84. Before my front tire blew. That slowed me down - a little. Until, like Curious George, I popped a wheelie and continued on into work at 103mph (less resistance since the front wheel was lofted).

I love these bikes.

hutch

• Grease Monkey
  • Til death do us part
Reply #50 on: December 18, 2007, 07:25:56 pm
RagMan, Thumper, don't get DEW started.........just kidding Dew.    Hutch
You learn from your mistakes, and I have LEARNED a lot.

TRider

• Bulleteer
Reply #51 on: December 18, 2007, 07:55:53 pm

I believe it. I was driving mine into work today. I hit 79mph when I was backing out of my parking space. Then I started the engine. My average speed to work (13 mile commute) was 97mph. Then I shifted into 2nd. I was flying along at 84. Before my front tire blew. That slowed me down - a little. Until, like Curious George, I popped a wheelie and continued on into work at 103mph (less resistance since the front wheel was lofted).
*************************************************************************************************************Hottomighty now Thumper, you got me there.  You win!  I surrender!  Hands up!

You made a funny that made me laugh when I needed a laugh.
      Thanks!!!

I love these bikes.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 08:01:45 pm by TRider »

LJRead

Reply #52 on: December 19, 2007, 07:04:55 pm

You know, I love these last few posts about measurements.  I especially liked yours, Vern, since they so clearly show the fight we all have with "the bureaucracy".  And I liked hearing about the moxie of those storekeepers standing up for what they believe and finding a way to stick it to them.  I think in this day and age we can learn something here: a) keep a sense of humor and b) spend a little time figuring out clever ways of making our oppositions' lives just a little uncomfortable - like they are trying to do to us.  Isn't the rule here "do unto them in the same measure as they do unto us"?

You made my day, folks.  (It's the little things in life!)

SRL790

• Grease Monkey
  • 1954 350
Reply #53 on: December 23, 2007, 04:11:04 pm
I grew up in the UK which switched from pounds, shillings and pence to "metric" money while I was in elementry school.  By the time I went to college everything was taught in the metric (SI) system, which for most engineering calculations is a lot simpler to use for me.

Of course, by the time I got out into the big world, everywhere I worked things were measured in the old British system.  So now, on the rare occaision that I actually have to make a calculation, the first thing I do (after looking up the formula - CRS) is convert everything to metric, do my calculation, then convert the answer back.

On the subject of metric in the US, something that irks me.  I think it is probably true to say that greater than 50% of the goods sold in the US today use metric fasteners.  Why then, when you go to your local hardware store for a bolt or something, is there three rows of standard fasteners and just one lttle box of metric stuck on a top shelf somewhere?

On a lighter note I finally got my new speedometer cable.  My 100% accurate 53 year old Smith's Chronometric speedometer clocked the old girl (now with close to 4000 MILES on her rebuilt engine) at 75 one day.  (OK, so it was downhill with the wind behind).
Andy Wiltshire
54 350 Bullet, 62 Jaguar MK II, 68 BSA Spitfire, 69 BSA Starfire
70 Bonneville, 71 Bonneville, 71 BSA B25T, 74 Jensen Healey
74 Honda XR75, 81 Yamaha MX80, 82 Suzuki GS1100G

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #54 on: December 24, 2007, 03:11:48 am
just got a new helmet..  it;s got to be good for 80 mph 
« Last Edit: December 24, 2007, 04:06:59 am by scotty »

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #55 on: December 24, 2007, 03:30:50 pm
Scotty,
  You're a lot better looking guy than I thought you'd be.
Leonard

2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #56 on: December 24, 2007, 07:34:41 pm
 :o

That's right 82 mph!

Finally got out on my favorite bypass and hit and indicated 82mph on my 2006 Electra X. There was little if any left in reserve (as I was already going on just a slight downhill angle). The upside was that the engine pulled strong without missing a beat. No unusual mechanical noises either.

Probably could squeeze a little more out by shedding about 25 pounds and ditching the saddlebags. But there's no compelling reason for me to try for faster at this point.

Matt

TRider

• Bulleteer
Reply #57 on: January 04, 2008, 03:23:23 pm
Monday afternnoon with the wind behind me my Electra with the performance kit hit 83 mph.  I held it at 80 mph for maybe 10 seconds and then slowly backed off.  At 2,000 miles I feel I am still breaking my Electra in,  I am still riding it mostly at 50-55 mph.
Thats only the second time I have tried to test it to the max.  I was having a little trouble with some backfiring prior to the run at 80+, but now it runs like a champ.  I don't know, maybe it is a good idea to run it hard once in a while.   My dad died in 1971, but he used to tell me to run my old Rambler real hard for a couple of miles about once a month, the same for an old 1956 Buick I used to own, my very first car.
Blow it out son, burn that carbon.  I don't really know if there was any truth to it or not, but I always did what my dad said or I could expect a good whipping.  And so it is.

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #58 on: January 04, 2008, 05:45:58 pm
I have always believed that an engine needs to get the cobwebs blown out of it from time to time..  I do it once in a while with every vehicle I have. So far, I have never had a bike blow up on me.. Had a 200+ mph Lincoln blow up on me - heap of junk...  I spent a fortune getting the thing to run fast and it blew up..  most annoying.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
Jefferson County, WA

JLR

• Scooter
Reply #59 on: January 05, 2008, 06:42:05 am
Hmmm...Ii blew the cobbs out of my wife's '91 4 cyl Mustang this week. Along with oil and parts of the block. Not good! I believe the oil-pump took a dump on me.

But I too heard my dad say to do this once in awhile, so I do. Kinda fun in my '01 R/T Dakota!