Author Topic: 80 MHP  (Read 22334 times)

TRider

• Bulleteer
on: December 03, 2007, 09:43:15 pm
During an 85 mile ride yesterday, the speedo showed 80+mph.  I held it there for maybe 5 seconds at the most and then gently backed off.  I think I could have easily got a few more mph out of it, but I am still breaking it in at 1500 miles.  The Electra ran very well at 65 to 70 mph for a few minutes.  Ninety percent of the ride was at a modest 50 to 55 mph on backroads, where my little beast is most happy.  After just recently getting it back from the dealer after a few months layup, I was very satisfied with the performance of my Electra. 

I plan to continue to run in my bike gently up until 3000 miles, as I have read where others have stated that the Bullet doesn't really show its true colors until 3000 + miles.
I believe that.

I am still satisfied with the solo saddle, believing it to be more comfortable than the bench seat.  Springs maybe.?  For some reason riding the Enfield reminds me of riding a scooter.  Its laid back attitude maybe?   Riding at a relaxed speed and taking time to smell the roses, so to speak.  I don't feel like I am a "bad arse biker" while riding my Enfield Electra.  Of course at 5'5" & 150 lbs, 61 yrs old, white, slow, can't jump a lick, I guess I am not perceived as a bad arse anyway.  Before I die I think I would like to whip somebody, give them a good licking.  Its bad to think I might go thru my whole life never ever beating up on another man.  I've been in one fight, got my tail kicked really good in my senior year in Highschool by the fullback on the football team.  The only satisfaction I got was that I got to keep the girl, the school's head cheerleader.  That was nice.  On second thought, after thinking how much that whipping hurt, I'll just forget about whipping someone's arse.  Hey Rick, maybe if we ever attend a Royal Enfield Rally at the same time, you could let me whip up on you.  We could always fake it.  Women do it all the time.  Of course thats another discussion.
Just in a mood to ramble,
Terry

dewjantim

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 09:59:25 pm
Hey Terry, the only licking I want to do is on an ice cream cone......Dew.
If it hurts, you're not dead yet!!!!!

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #2 on: December 03, 2007, 10:05:18 pm
Well now I'm inspired! I've seen just above 70mph, and with over 3000 miles I think I'll goose it just a little more to see if I can hit 80. We've got below freezing nights for the next few days (as well as some light white stuff) so I won't be on the bike to work tomorrow - but I'll post when I eventually make the attempt!

Matt

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007, 01:14:48 am
If you have not whupped another guys behind by now, give up the ambition - the ability is an early leaned skill. Either that, or go beat up an eighty year old.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

LJRead

Reply #4 on: December 04, 2007, 02:15:32 am

Well Terry, since we're in a waffling mood, let me tell you about my three fights.  The first was the neighbor girl who stood a head over me, learned to fight from her four mean brothers, and gave me a good whooping at age about ten.

Next was in junior high, over a pretty girl - lost both the fight and the girl.

Next was thirty years ago in Honolulu, a Samoan guy, out on parole for assault and attempted murder, broadsided me out of no where because he didn't like my looks.  I came to with birds flying about my head.  He went to prison for another five years finishing out his parole, I lost the use of part of my right eye.

I decided to retire from the ring at that point.

If you need someone to fight, come down here as it is the national sport.  Pretty soon you'll look like a lot of others with scar tissue on knuckles and eye ridges, cauliflower ears, crooked nose, busted off teeth, but with a beauty smile on your mug.

What has this to do with 80 mph?  Well, life can be fun in the slow lane too, with a good fisticuff once in a while.

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: December 04, 2007, 02:21:44 am
not me MaN.. I'm allergic to pain 

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: December 04, 2007, 03:14:21 am
I teach unarmed combat..  have certification to a high level in open hand defense, certified in baton, knife, firearm, and explosives.. and walk away from confrontations. Fighting is something that should be done only when nothing else is possible. It is too easy to die, in a fight, even if you are very good - all it takes is a blow in the wrong place. It is not worth the risk of death, or killing the opponent, so avoid it unless pressed hard by a fool, then end it quickly.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: December 04, 2007, 03:25:54 am
I have my 06 classic up to 73 downhill with a tailwind...She was a bit rattley....probably do 80 but i'm a hair under 3k....maybe after i do some mods on her over the winter she will go a but faster...is this 80 mph downhill, level ground, etc..doubt it is uphill as i haven't seen speed near 60 /65 mph...not a speed guy anyway as i would feel like an idiot getting a ticket on a enfield but guess its possible
Oh Magoo you done it again

TRider

• Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: December 04, 2007, 02:57:02 pm
Ok ok ok, I give up, I'm not in a fighting mood today.  Already forgotten.  No fight, no fight.  I too studied Karate from 1971 until 1978, the teacher was in his 70's, a master.  Never had to use what I learned though, just made me more peaceful.  Good thing though, as I probably would have been whipped again.  HIstory does repeat itself.

Rode the Electra again last night.  Stopped to fill up with gas.  An Indian (India) came out to the pump and just went on and on about my Enfield.  He seemed so shocked and happy to see one.  He wanted to sit on it, so I let him sit.  Big smile came all over his face.  Nice fellow.  A lady pumping gas on the other side of the pump said "thats the cutest motorcycleI have ever seen".
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 04:55:06 pm by TRider »

hutch

• Grease Monkey
  • Til death do us part
Reply #9 on: December 04, 2007, 08:13:06 pm
My neighbors wife thinks mine is Cute also. She must think all my other bikes have an attitude problem like me.    Hutch
You learn from your mistakes, and I have LEARNED a lot.

Adrian

Reply #10 on: December 04, 2007, 09:54:07 pm
Hi All,

my first post on this forum, and someone's started a thread on something that gets me started - no, not the violence, just getting an Electra-X to pick up her skirts and run like she was meant to!

First off, your Electra-X has a redesigned engine that is really is intended to cope with more enthusiastic use than the stock classic. It's not just the tougher crank and gear oil pumps, have you had a look inside the head?  I'll post some pictures, the inlet port is big, with very little work needed for some fun. The whole thing seems designed to rev. 80 MPH is not unreasonable, and set up right an Electra-X is good for more.

On my side of the Atlantic (sorry, another one joined!) some riders a few pounds lighter than me (and with less sail area, I'm 6'3" tall) have been getting very good speeds from their Electras. I think the best was some guy from Finland who posted on the Hitchcock's board and, after converting from kilometers and adjusting for speedometer error, we calculated his top speed must have been 90+ mph, officer! His Electra had the 32mm Dell'orto pumper carb which the UK importers supply as well as a free flowing exhaust. Rick who also posts here has had some excellent performance from his Electra-X,  some of this with the stock Mikarb CV carb jetted up and a modified needle!

What I have noticed is that the overall gearing on my Electra is slightly too high for me with the stock 18 tooth countershaft sprocket, yet plenty of Electra riders seem happier with 19 or even 20 tooth versions. Weird, perhaps I still need to lose more weight!  ::)

Adrian

TRider

• Bulleteer
Reply #11 on: December 04, 2007, 10:30:56 pm
Adrian,
I think you are on to something about speed.  Sunday afternoon while riding on a 4 lane, me in one lane and my son in another side by side, him on his Suz SV650, I was running at between 65-70 mph for a few minutes.  He swears I was doing 70- 75 mph.  He thinks my speedo is off by at least 5 mph.  On another occasion while he was following me back from the dealer, in a new Toyota Camry, I was running 50-55mph.  He asked me why I was running around 60mph when I said I was going to hold it at the lower speed.

Travelling from Athens, Ga. back to Albany, Ga. he constantly maintained that I was running a higher speed than I stated to him I was doing.  So maybe I was actually doing 85 mph Sunday instead of 80 mph.  I need to look into this.
Terry

LJRead

Reply #12 on: December 04, 2007, 10:59:42 pm

During an 85 mile ride yesterday, the speedo showed 80+mph.  I held it there for maybe 5 seconds at the most and then gently backed off. 

Before I die I think I would like to whip somebody, give them a good licking.  Its bad to think I might go thru my whole life never ever beating up on another man.

It is too easy to die, in a fight, even if you are very good - all it takes is a blow in the wrong place. It is not worth the risk of death, or killing the opponent, so avoid it unless pressed hard by a fool, then end it quickly.

I'm with you RagMan - would always choose to walk away.  But when someone sideswipes you with a huge fist, not much you can do, especially sitting on the ground with the birds flying around in your head.  Two deaths in fights since I've been here, one got hit in the head with a 2 by 4, one got a thrown brick in the head.  Taught my son to walk away, but when he did he got a big stone in the back of the head.  I think he was in a fight nearly every day of his high school years.  Like I say, a national sport here.

Question: Is there a correlation between wanting to drive 80 or more mph and wanting to get in a few licks?  Aren't both equally dangerous? :(

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #13 on: December 05, 2007, 01:22:00 am
Hi All,

my first post on this forum, and someone's started a thread on something that gets me started - no, not the violence, just getting an Electra-X to pick up her skirts and run like she was meant to!

First off, your Electra-X has a redesigned engine that is really is intended to cope with more enthusiastic use than the stock classic. It's not just the tougher crank and gear oil pumps, have you had a look inside the head?  I'll post some pictures, the inlet port is big, with very little work needed for some fun. The whole thing seems designed to rev. 80 MPH is not unreasonable, and set up right an Electra-X is good for more.

On my side of the Atlantic (sorry, another one joined!) some riders a few pounds lighter than me (and with less sail area, I'm 6'3" tall) have been getting very good speeds from their Electras. I think the best was some guy from Finland who posted on the Hitchcock's board and, after converting from kilometers and adjusting for speedometer error, we calculated his top speed must have been 90+ mph, officer! His Electra had the 32mm Dell'orto pumper carb which the UK importers supply as well as a free flowing exhaust. Rick who also posts here has had some excellent performance from his Electra-X,  some of this with the stock Mikarb CV carb jetted up and a modified needle!

What I have noticed is that the overall gearing on my Electra is slightly too high for me with the stock 18 tooth countershaft sprocket, yet plenty of Electra riders seem happier with 19 or even 20 tooth versions. Weird, perhaps I still need to lose more weight!  ::)

Adrian

Welcome aboard Adrian!

RE: perhaps I still need to lose more weight

Probably the best way for me to get better performance out of my bike too!

Matt

TRider

• Bulleteer
Reply #14 on: December 05, 2007, 01:15:30 pm
Hey guys, forget about the fighting.  I was only kidding.  Just used it as a metaphor.  I have way way too much money in my teeth to ever think seriously about being in a real fight.  If someone were to "knock my teeth down my throat" just because I wanted to whip someone before I die, it would cost me the price of a new BMW to get the ole teeth fixed.  No way.  Peace be to all.
Terry

Now, back to the real subject, doing 80mph on an Enfield Electra.  Yeah, it certainly can be done, especially if you weigh 150 lbs.  I think mine can do 85mph.  I don't think I will run it again at high speed for awhile, so the 85 test will have to wait.

Peace again

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: December 06, 2007, 12:43:04 am
that speed seems a little fast for this lightweight bike.. i will have to try it :P

when I get It broken in   ???   it's 26 here now..  :(

hutch

• Grease Monkey
  • Til death do us part
Reply #16 on: December 06, 2007, 01:44:17 am
that speed seems a little fast for this lightweight bike.. i will have to try it :P

when I get It broken in   ???   it's 26 here now..  :(
Scotty, my Savage with chain drive runs 90+ and weighs less than the Bullet. Handles the speed fine, but it does sit lower also. Was 9 degrees this morning and got up to whopping 19 today. Temps have been, and are expected to be 10 degrees below normal for a while. they have been for2 weeks so far.   Hutch

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: December 06, 2007, 02:40:28 am
The forecast for here told me it would be 33 degrees today.   It wasn't - didn't get above 23 all day, been snowing all day too, forecast said no snow today..  If it was not so cold, I would be out on the Ural, but my joints don't like this cold.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
Jefferson County, WA

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: December 06, 2007, 03:15:21 am
my joints don't like the cold either.. hard to keep them lit and warm :-\ ;)

TRider

• Bulleteer
Reply #19 on: December 06, 2007, 01:08:01 pm
It was 44 degrees when I left the house this morning.   My goodness it was cold.

LJRead

Reply #20 on: December 06, 2007, 06:40:47 pm

We may have a hurricane on our hands this weekend. Everything is pretty snugged down around my place.  Early in the season for a hurricane though.  Hope this doesn't portend for more to come.

My comments in the thread above were also tongue-in-cheek, as I'm sure you realized, Terry.  Age has its privileges, and one seems to be that you get a little more respect and a little less confrontation in everyday life.  It is very safe here in Tonga, as long as you don't go looking for trouble.  Possibly the safest country in the world. 

LJRead

Reply #21 on: December 06, 2007, 06:43:17 pm

It is very safe here in Tonga, as long as you don't go looking for trouble.  Possibly the safest country in the world. 

I should add that it is safe here with the exception of physical forces like hurricanes and earthquakes, to which we are prone.

Adrian

Reply #22 on: December 07, 2007, 01:27:32 pm
LJ,

I don't think anywhere in the world can be guaranteed to be truly safe :o. I know I have an appointment with a wooden box one day, though hopefully not as a result of riding an Electra-X enthusiastically...

Getting back to the 80 MPH topic, it's worth noting that a 1955 Bullet was road tested at 85 MPH when new, so it's not unreasonable to expect an Electra-X with its mechancial improvements to equal that at least, though you'll most likely need an aftermarket carburettor and exhaust to make it happen.

Adrian

TRider

• Bulleteer
Reply #23 on: December 07, 2007, 01:32:58 pm
[
Getting back to the 80 MPH topic, it's worth noting that a 1955 Bullet was road tested at 85 MPH when new, so it's not unreasonable to expect an Electra-X with its mechancial improvements to equal that at least, though you'll most likely need an aftermarket carburettor and exhaust to make it happen.

Adrian

I neglected to add that my Electra does have the CMW Performance Kit, which included a different exhaust and carb.

Terry

indian48

• Bulleteer
Reply #24 on: December 08, 2007, 01:08:20 am
Isnt the Bullet less about speed, but more about enjoying the ride and all you are passing through?
Here's a thought to dwell on - would we enjoy the ride more, or less, if the bike did not have speedometer?!
If anything is worth doing, it is worth doing well

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: December 08, 2007, 02:31:36 am
One thing I notice, when riding the Bullet, is that I don't look at the speedo most of the time. Occasionally the wind feels different, so I look, but most of the time, I just go with the bike.

Same applies to the Ural - I have figured how it sounds at the township speed limits, and the rest of the time, just go.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
Jefferson County, WA

LJRead

Reply #26 on: December 08, 2007, 03:09:43 am

Ever since I joined this forum and especially the one in Yahoo, the main theme seems to be getting that little extra bit of speed. 

You know, it is interesting that you mention the speedometer.  Is there a way I can have a small gizmo tracking the mileage and do away with the speedometer and also the tachometer, both of which are superfluous at the speeds I will be making?  I have, like everyone else, a tachometer in my car and other cars I have owned, but have almost never looked at them.  There was a Harley, a really nice one, on Ebay, that was custom made without the instruments to give a cleaner look.  But I would like to know how far I have driven between servicing intervals.  Do they make a small, simple odometer?

indian48

• Bulleteer
Reply #27 on: December 08, 2007, 03:24:35 am
I would recommend leaving things as they are, but looking at just the ones you need to look at - just ignore the speedo needle.
Tachs are needed on modern engines, because with all the NVH measures, unless you have a tach, its hard to say if the engine is running, let alone what revs it is doing! Even so, gear changes on manual shifts can still be done by seat of the pants about how the engine is pulling/not pulling the load. In a Bullet, where one can hear the engine loud and clear all the time, I see no use for an instrument to count the revs! Other than my ears and whats in between them. And a feel for the load on the engine at any point in time based on how it responds to the throttle.
That is why I got the bullet, so that I do not have the video game feeling that modern cars confer on you most of the time.

SRL790

• Grease Monkey
  • 1954 350
Reply #28 on: December 08, 2007, 02:59:21 pm
Here's a thought to dwell on - would we enjoy the ride more, or less, if the bike did not have speedometer?!

My cable broke about a month ago.  Still waiting on a new one from CMW (probably has to come from UK).  By rough calculation I've covered about 700 miles without it and don't really miss it, apart from knowing when to stop to get gas and when the next oil change is due..
« Last Edit: December 08, 2007, 03:05:47 pm by SRL790 »
Andy Wiltshire
54 350 Bullet, 62 Jaguar MK II, 68 BSA Spitfire, 69 BSA Starfire
70 Bonneville, 71 Bonneville, 71 BSA B25T, 74 Jensen Healey
74 Honda XR75, 81 Yamaha MX80, 82 Suzuki GS1100G

indian48

• Bulleteer
Reply #29 on: December 08, 2007, 04:45:04 pm
What you mean Andy, is that the odometer is useful, to keep track of the longer term things, but the speedometer is redundant!

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
Reply #30 on: December 10, 2007, 09:47:22 pm
No-one has yet mentioned that can't do without extra for touring; the sat nav.  :o
Well, actually it is very good for getting accurate speeds so one can see where the std fitted speedo is out by 'X' amount etc.
Worth knowing I feel even if just so that you know your 80mph is actually 75 or whatever etc.
If gearing is changed then it also helps you to recognise the new speedo readings that relate to the bikes genuine speed.

OT slightly but I used a TomTom sat nav to calibrate speedo error on my Honda VTR with its electrical sensor speedo. I then fitted a device called a 'speedo healer' that was calibrated to alter the pulses so that when the speedo was indicating 100mph (on a closed private test track etc  ::)) the sat nav indicated 100.2mph. Good enough for me!!!
If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #31 on: December 11, 2007, 02:10:34 am
Ihit80+ on ine at just unedr2000 miles. After putting the 19 tooth on it, it doesn't want to do it anymore. Don't care. It cruises at 60 barely off an idle. Cruises at 70 effortlessly too. I could probably get 85-90 with a tail wind, but we don't get those much here. I live on the coast and the wind is always hitting me from the side. That's probably why I don't get top speed too often. A 20 mph side wind tendsto slow you up a bit.

Adrian

Reply #32 on: December 11, 2007, 08:37:14 pm
A 19 tooth sprocket would definitely leave mine over-geared for my riding.  I did some checking on overall gear ratios in top, a late 1950's Bullet worked out at about 4.9:1, and the standard Big Head models were supposed to be good performers. A modern Indian Classic's gearing with the 17 tooth sprocket is very close at 5:1. Going to 18 and 19 teeth on the Electra may make for a more relaxed cruiser, but what you're saying seems to confirm what others have told me, it won't let the motor rev out in 5th gear!

There was a UK Enfield dealer who used to race a 500 Indian (Classic) Bullet and actually geared it DOWN with a 16 tooth sprocket to get it to rev out in top, quite the opposite of what you would expect.

It's a bit irrelevant at the moment as I'm waiting for a replacement clutch cable... :(

DaveG297

• Bulleteer
Reply #33 on: December 11, 2007, 08:52:44 pm
Boy, am I late.  Lots to read on this here forum.   Unarmed combat.   That happened to me only once.   Guy ripped my arms off and beat me to death with them.   And my Bullet, The Cool Bullet, will go 85 ...........downhill.   I like it just fine at 50 or so.   As you can see, I'm still alive, barely, and I lied about the arms thing.   I wish it was spring already.          PS...DId you guys see the Group Pic sent by Kevin..........nice looking kids, huh............dave g in cold MIchigan.  I bet Hutch is pissed about the cold...........d

hutch

• Grease Monkey
  • Til death do us part
Reply #34 on: December 12, 2007, 12:59:11 am
You must be talking about the freezing rain and sleet that is slowly wearing my windows down thinner and thinner as I type. It is beginning to grate on my nerves even faster than the windows.  What is nice is knowing that in a short 4and1/2 months I can ride again. Thanks for reminding me Dave!!!  Hutch
« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 01:30:56 am by hutch »

Tiny Tim

• Bulleteer
Reply #35 on: December 12, 2007, 08:49:34 am
The speedometers on all Enfields are reliably unreliable.

The odometer however is remarkably accurate.

If you want to have an accurate indication of speed, one option is to fit a cycle computer which picks up a pulse from a small magnet which you need to glue (araldite) to the front rim.

Take time to set it up right. The accuracy depends on the distance travelled per revolution of the front wheel. The best way to do this is to ride forward for a number of revolutions and measure the distance travelled with a long tape.

Pythagoras and tire measurements are OK but they don't take inflatable tires and Adrian's weight into account.

The other advantage is that you will then also have a trip odometer so you will know how much range you have after each fill-up.

REgards

Tiny Tim
REgards

Tiny Tim

"Whilst it isn't possible to polish a turd, you can always roll it in glitter"

2005 Electra AVL

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #36 on: December 12, 2007, 03:12:55 pm
The other advantage is that you will then also have a trip odometer so you will know how much range you have after each fill-up.

I have a friend with a Suzuki S-40.  He carries a felt tip pen and writes his fill-up mileage on the chrome gas cap since it wipes off easily.  Sometimes his riding buddies will change a number or just wipe it clean for him.  Great fun!
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

TRider

• Bulleteer
Reply #37 on: December 12, 2007, 09:09:18 pm
The speedometers on all Enfields are reliably unreliable.

I beg your pardon.  I own a new Enfield Electra, new tech you know, and I have you know its reliable within 5 to 8 mph.  Thats close enough man.

indian48

• Bulleteer
Reply #38 on: December 12, 2007, 09:34:08 pm
I still think that having a decent odo is all one needs on the bike. Re filling the tank, I have adopted what Kiwichick I think posted - top up the tank everytime the bike does 250kms - simple to remember, to get into the gas station at 1000, 1250, 1500 and so on and top up. That way the tank never really empties, because each top up then is about 6.5-7 litres at a time, in a 15 litre tank. Easy way to keep track of the fuel consumption as well, a key measure of how the bike is working too.For the milers, its not so convenient as it is for us metric people. Another reason for the hold outs to go metric??!!
Funny thing about metric in India though, and it did take me a long time to compute in kms in my head, without converting to miles to understand; but now here we use kms for speed and distance. But for height of people, we still seem to use feet/inches. For fluid and weight quantities, it is metric. For body weight, we use both, and I have only recently started to compute in my head with kgs. For body temperature, we are more comfortable understanding in Fahrenheit, while for weather, we prefer to use centigrade. Engineers talk mostly in microns now, and not so much of thou. If I look around, I am sure I will find more of such stuff!
Seems chaotic, but seems to work pretty well for us!

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #39 on: December 13, 2007, 03:34:47 am
i've gone 176 but not on my RE_E only around 60 so far.. on it. I mean after all the speed limitis are 45. or lower where I ride... and there is a community to support ::)

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #40 on: December 13, 2007, 05:17:25 am
If we talking about how fast - I have been over 1000 mph.. but not on the ground. :)
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
Jefferson County, WA

indian48

• Bulleteer
Reply #41 on: December 13, 2007, 05:39:00 am
lol,,,nice one Ragman ;D

LJRead

Reply #42 on: December 13, 2007, 06:05:00 am

With regard to metric measurements, it's a pain for me, too.  I worked for many years doing chemical stuff and the measurements in metric were fine, but for my woodworking, I still use inches and feet.  India, having inherited many such things during British rule must really be a hodgepodge since, if you look at British measurement, especially the archaic kind, you find all sorts of odd terms and usage.  In New Zealand, I had to get used to 'stones' for body weight.  Gradually the old brain cells are adapting, but fortunately I don't have to measure much these days.  Look on an old British sailing chart and you find another whole world of odd terms.

So how fast is 80 mph? Wow, metric sounds faster, let's go metric!

I'm getting comfortable with km and litres for driving, so I suppose there's hope.  Now if I can only learn to stay on my own side of the road (is it left or is it right?)

exiledcarper

• Bulleteer
Reply #43 on: December 17, 2007, 04:00:43 pm
It may be  a tad Imperialist of me Larry, but I don't see anyting wrong with good old British measurements, Fahrenhiet is more accurate than Celsius for tempearture, for example, being a smaller increment.  I guess what really irks me is the fact that it's now illegal to use British Measurements in Britain for any type of trade or commerce.  One shopkeeper in the N.E. of England was even famously sent to prison when he insisted on selling his fruit and veg by the pounds and ounces.  Talk about losing your sovereignty F.F. Sake, it makes my blood boil!!!!!!  The owner of my local(when I still lived in the U.K.) fishing tackle shop was even threatened with prosecution for continuing to sell maggots ( a very popular bait) by the pint.  His answer, in true British spirit, was to sell a MEASURE of maggots.  Guess what he used as a measure?  You've got it, a PINT glass, brilliant! One measure or two Sir?
  Sad reality is though, that the French and their counterparts, forced the E.E.C. laws on us and nowadays ENGLISH children leave school with no knowledge of ENGLISH measurements, bloody sacriledge, if you ask me!!  I mean who wants to by 250 grammes of anything, cokeheads apart, it's so damned impersonal.
  Well that's my rant of the day over with, I hope you're doing well and dodging the typhoons Larry.
                                                                  Regards,
                                                                  Vern.

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #44 on: December 17, 2007, 06:20:22 pm
Vern,

I for one enjoyed your rant!

Back in the summer of '79 our Virginia Shell gas stations converted to liters (or litres if you prefer...how's that for consistency...).

That lasted less than a couple of months and they haven attempted it again!

I don't really care if we go metric as long as my kids will do the conversions for poor old dad.

It's when we stray from good old George, Abe, Alexander and the gang on our folding and jingling monies that I'll have to start forming my milita!  ;)

Matt

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #45 on: December 18, 2007, 06:17:29 am
Would that countries just stayed the same...  It truly makes me weep to see so much being changed for the convenience of so few. I work in Imperial measure, all the time, and do not work in metric. If I had to, I would just give up, and go be a hermit somewhere. I loved Britain, when I lived there, and my memories are all of the Old England, that unfortunately does not exist any more. This a terrible shame, and it will soon engulf the entire planet, in modernistic uniformity, making life unbearable to many.   Why did we go so wrong?
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
Jefferson County, WA

TRider

• Bulleteer
Reply #46 on: December 18, 2007, 01:57:58 pm
I got my Electra up to 105mph last night while climbing a steep hill with the wind coming at me on a dirt road.  It was truly amazing.  I'm not lying.

prof_stack

Reply #47 on: December 18, 2007, 02:20:42 pm
I got my Electra up to 105mph last night while climbing a steep hill with the wind coming at me on a dirt road.  It was truly amazing.  I'm not lying.
I think you just made Santa's "naughty" list, in either case.   ;)

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #48 on: December 18, 2007, 07:01:03 pm
You should maybe fix the speedo.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
Jefferson County, WA

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #49 on: December 18, 2007, 07:17:40 pm

I believe it. I was driving mine into work today. I hit 79mph when I was backing out of my parking space. Then I started the engine. My average speed to work (13 mile commute) was 97mph. Then I shifted into 2nd. I was flying along at 84. Before my front tire blew. That slowed me down - a little. Until, like Curious George, I popped a wheelie and continued on into work at 103mph (less resistance since the front wheel was lofted).

I love these bikes.

hutch

• Grease Monkey
  • Til death do us part
Reply #50 on: December 18, 2007, 07:25:56 pm
RagMan, Thumper, don't get DEW started.........just kidding Dew.    Hutch

TRider

• Bulleteer
Reply #51 on: December 18, 2007, 07:55:53 pm

I believe it. I was driving mine into work today. I hit 79mph when I was backing out of my parking space. Then I started the engine. My average speed to work (13 mile commute) was 97mph. Then I shifted into 2nd. I was flying along at 84. Before my front tire blew. That slowed me down - a little. Until, like Curious George, I popped a wheelie and continued on into work at 103mph (less resistance since the front wheel was lofted).
*************************************************************************************************************Hottomighty now Thumper, you got me there.  You win!  I surrender!  Hands up!

You made a funny that made me laugh when I needed a laugh.
      Thanks!!!

I love these bikes.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 08:01:45 pm by TRider »

LJRead

Reply #52 on: December 19, 2007, 07:04:55 pm

You know, I love these last few posts about measurements.  I especially liked yours, Vern, since they so clearly show the fight we all have with "the bureaucracy".  And I liked hearing about the moxie of those storekeepers standing up for what they believe and finding a way to stick it to them.  I think in this day and age we can learn something here: a) keep a sense of humor and b) spend a little time figuring out clever ways of making our oppositions' lives just a little uncomfortable - like they are trying to do to us.  Isn't the rule here "do unto them in the same measure as they do unto us"?

You made my day, folks.  (It's the little things in life!)

SRL790

• Grease Monkey
  • 1954 350
Reply #53 on: December 23, 2007, 04:11:04 pm
I grew up in the UK which switched from pounds, shillings and pence to "metric" money while I was in elementry school.  By the time I went to college everything was taught in the metric (SI) system, which for most engineering calculations is a lot simpler to use for me.

Of course, by the time I got out into the big world, everywhere I worked things were measured in the old British system.  So now, on the rare occaision that I actually have to make a calculation, the first thing I do (after looking up the formula - CRS) is convert everything to metric, do my calculation, then convert the answer back.

On the subject of metric in the US, something that irks me.  I think it is probably true to say that greater than 50% of the goods sold in the US today use metric fasteners.  Why then, when you go to your local hardware store for a bolt or something, is there three rows of standard fasteners and just one lttle box of metric stuck on a top shelf somewhere?

On a lighter note I finally got my new speedometer cable.  My 100% accurate 53 year old Smith's Chronometric speedometer clocked the old girl (now with close to 4000 MILES on her rebuilt engine) at 75 one day.  (OK, so it was downhill with the wind behind).
Andy Wiltshire
54 350 Bullet, 62 Jaguar MK II, 68 BSA Spitfire, 69 BSA Starfire
70 Bonneville, 71 Bonneville, 71 BSA B25T, 74 Jensen Healey
74 Honda XR75, 81 Yamaha MX80, 82 Suzuki GS1100G

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #54 on: December 24, 2007, 03:11:48 am
just got a new helmet..  it;s got to be good for 80 mph 
« Last Edit: December 24, 2007, 04:06:59 am by scotty »

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #55 on: December 24, 2007, 03:30:50 pm
Scotty,
  You're a lot better looking guy than I thought you'd be.
Leonard

2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #56 on: December 24, 2007, 07:34:41 pm
 :o

That's right 82 mph!

Finally got out on my favorite bypass and hit and indicated 82mph on my 2006 Electra X. There was little if any left in reserve (as I was already going on just a slight downhill angle). The upside was that the engine pulled strong without missing a beat. No unusual mechanical noises either.

Probably could squeeze a little more out by shedding about 25 pounds and ditching the saddlebags. But there's no compelling reason for me to try for faster at this point.

Matt

TRider

• Bulleteer
Reply #57 on: January 04, 2008, 03:23:23 pm
Monday afternnoon with the wind behind me my Electra with the performance kit hit 83 mph.  I held it at 80 mph for maybe 10 seconds and then slowly backed off.  At 2,000 miles I feel I am still breaking my Electra in,  I am still riding it mostly at 50-55 mph.
Thats only the second time I have tried to test it to the max.  I was having a little trouble with some backfiring prior to the run at 80+, but now it runs like a champ.  I don't know, maybe it is a good idea to run it hard once in a while.   My dad died in 1971, but he used to tell me to run my old Rambler real hard for a couple of miles about once a month, the same for an old 1956 Buick I used to own, my very first car.
Blow it out son, burn that carbon.  I don't really know if there was any truth to it or not, but I always did what my dad said or I could expect a good whipping.  And so it is.

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #58 on: January 04, 2008, 05:45:58 pm
I have always believed that an engine needs to get the cobwebs blown out of it from time to time..  I do it once in a while with every vehicle I have. So far, I have never had a bike blow up on me.. Had a 200+ mph Lincoln blow up on me - heap of junk...  I spent a fortune getting the thing to run fast and it blew up..  most annoying.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
Jefferson County, WA

JLR

• Scooter
Reply #59 on: January 05, 2008, 06:42:05 am
Hmmm...Ii blew the cobbs out of my wife's '91 4 cyl Mustang this week. Along with oil and parts of the block. Not good! I believe the oil-pump took a dump on me.

But I too heard my dad say to do this once in awhile, so I do. Kinda fun in my '01 R/T Dakota!

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #60 on: January 05, 2008, 06:55:52 pm
I try to wring out my Electra at least once each ride. It ois most fun cruising at 55-65 (less annoying rattles), but a couple hard accelerations always seems to make it run better.

DaveG297

• Bulleteer
Reply #61 on: January 06, 2008, 05:43:35 pm
You don't even have to waste a bullet on that ole Mustang.   I'd a shot it long ago.    Blow the gunk out, thats what mechanics like to hear.   Sometimes you just can't not do a little decarboning..........its fun........dg

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #62 on: January 07, 2008, 02:55:55 am
I had a balanced and blue printed 390 in a 68 AMX  (I still have the car) I lunched the engine in eastern TN. around 1973...  left a 1/4 mile of various metal parts and oil and aNd.sMoKe lots Of sMoKe,,

flat burn a hole in my pocketbook.. U'D think I'd learn after a WhIlE :D