Author Topic: 80 MHP  (Read 22340 times)

TRider

• Bulleteer
on: December 03, 2007, 09:43:15 pm
During an 85 mile ride yesterday, the speedo showed 80+mph.  I held it there for maybe 5 seconds at the most and then gently backed off.  I think I could have easily got a few more mph out of it, but I am still breaking it in at 1500 miles.  The Electra ran very well at 65 to 70 mph for a few minutes.  Ninety percent of the ride was at a modest 50 to 55 mph on backroads, where my little beast is most happy.  After just recently getting it back from the dealer after a few months layup, I was very satisfied with the performance of my Electra. 

I plan to continue to run in my bike gently up until 3000 miles, as I have read where others have stated that the Bullet doesn't really show its true colors until 3000 + miles.
I believe that.

I am still satisfied with the solo saddle, believing it to be more comfortable than the bench seat.  Springs maybe.?  For some reason riding the Enfield reminds me of riding a scooter.  Its laid back attitude maybe?   Riding at a relaxed speed and taking time to smell the roses, so to speak.  I don't feel like I am a "bad arse biker" while riding my Enfield Electra.  Of course at 5'5" & 150 lbs, 61 yrs old, white, slow, can't jump a lick, I guess I am not perceived as a bad arse anyway.  Before I die I think I would like to whip somebody, give them a good licking.  Its bad to think I might go thru my whole life never ever beating up on another man.  I've been in one fight, got my tail kicked really good in my senior year in Highschool by the fullback on the football team.  The only satisfaction I got was that I got to keep the girl, the school's head cheerleader.  That was nice.  On second thought, after thinking how much that whipping hurt, I'll just forget about whipping someone's arse.  Hey Rick, maybe if we ever attend a Royal Enfield Rally at the same time, you could let me whip up on you.  We could always fake it.  Women do it all the time.  Of course thats another discussion.
Just in a mood to ramble,
Terry

dewjantim

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 09:59:25 pm
Hey Terry, the only licking I want to do is on an ice cream cone......Dew.
If it hurts, you're not dead yet!!!!!

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #2 on: December 03, 2007, 10:05:18 pm
Well now I'm inspired! I've seen just above 70mph, and with over 3000 miles I think I'll goose it just a little more to see if I can hit 80. We've got below freezing nights for the next few days (as well as some light white stuff) so I won't be on the bike to work tomorrow - but I'll post when I eventually make the attempt!

Matt

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007, 01:14:48 am
If you have not whupped another guys behind by now, give up the ambition - the ability is an early leaned skill. Either that, or go beat up an eighty year old.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

LJRead

Reply #4 on: December 04, 2007, 02:15:32 am

Well Terry, since we're in a waffling mood, let me tell you about my three fights.  The first was the neighbor girl who stood a head over me, learned to fight from her four mean brothers, and gave me a good whooping at age about ten.

Next was in junior high, over a pretty girl - lost both the fight and the girl.

Next was thirty years ago in Honolulu, a Samoan guy, out on parole for assault and attempted murder, broadsided me out of no where because he didn't like my looks.  I came to with birds flying about my head.  He went to prison for another five years finishing out his parole, I lost the use of part of my right eye.

I decided to retire from the ring at that point.

If you need someone to fight, come down here as it is the national sport.  Pretty soon you'll look like a lot of others with scar tissue on knuckles and eye ridges, cauliflower ears, crooked nose, busted off teeth, but with a beauty smile on your mug.

What has this to do with 80 mph?  Well, life can be fun in the slow lane too, with a good fisticuff once in a while.

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: December 04, 2007, 02:21:44 am
not me MaN.. I'm allergic to pain 

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: December 04, 2007, 03:14:21 am
I teach unarmed combat..  have certification to a high level in open hand defense, certified in baton, knife, firearm, and explosives.. and walk away from confrontations. Fighting is something that should be done only when nothing else is possible. It is too easy to die, in a fight, even if you are very good - all it takes is a blow in the wrong place. It is not worth the risk of death, or killing the opponent, so avoid it unless pressed hard by a fool, then end it quickly.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: December 04, 2007, 03:25:54 am
I have my 06 classic up to 73 downhill with a tailwind...She was a bit rattley....probably do 80 but i'm a hair under 3k....maybe after i do some mods on her over the winter she will go a but faster...is this 80 mph downhill, level ground, etc..doubt it is uphill as i haven't seen speed near 60 /65 mph...not a speed guy anyway as i would feel like an idiot getting a ticket on a enfield but guess its possible
Oh Magoo you done it again

TRider

• Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: December 04, 2007, 02:57:02 pm
Ok ok ok, I give up, I'm not in a fighting mood today.  Already forgotten.  No fight, no fight.  I too studied Karate from 1971 until 1978, the teacher was in his 70's, a master.  Never had to use what I learned though, just made me more peaceful.  Good thing though, as I probably would have been whipped again.  HIstory does repeat itself.

Rode the Electra again last night.  Stopped to fill up with gas.  An Indian (India) came out to the pump and just went on and on about my Enfield.  He seemed so shocked and happy to see one.  He wanted to sit on it, so I let him sit.  Big smile came all over his face.  Nice fellow.  A lady pumping gas on the other side of the pump said "thats the cutest motorcycleI have ever seen".
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 04:55:06 pm by TRider »

hutch

• Grease Monkey
  • Til death do us part
Reply #9 on: December 04, 2007, 08:13:06 pm
My neighbors wife thinks mine is Cute also. She must think all my other bikes have an attitude problem like me.    Hutch
You learn from your mistakes, and I have LEARNED a lot.

Adrian

Reply #10 on: December 04, 2007, 09:54:07 pm
Hi All,

my first post on this forum, and someone's started a thread on something that gets me started - no, not the violence, just getting an Electra-X to pick up her skirts and run like she was meant to!

First off, your Electra-X has a redesigned engine that is really is intended to cope with more enthusiastic use than the stock classic. It's not just the tougher crank and gear oil pumps, have you had a look inside the head?  I'll post some pictures, the inlet port is big, with very little work needed for some fun. The whole thing seems designed to rev. 80 MPH is not unreasonable, and set up right an Electra-X is good for more.

On my side of the Atlantic (sorry, another one joined!) some riders a few pounds lighter than me (and with less sail area, I'm 6'3" tall) have been getting very good speeds from their Electras. I think the best was some guy from Finland who posted on the Hitchcock's board and, after converting from kilometers and adjusting for speedometer error, we calculated his top speed must have been 90+ mph, officer! His Electra had the 32mm Dell'orto pumper carb which the UK importers supply as well as a free flowing exhaust. Rick who also posts here has had some excellent performance from his Electra-X,  some of this with the stock Mikarb CV carb jetted up and a modified needle!

What I have noticed is that the overall gearing on my Electra is slightly too high for me with the stock 18 tooth countershaft sprocket, yet plenty of Electra riders seem happier with 19 or even 20 tooth versions. Weird, perhaps I still need to lose more weight!  ::)

Adrian

TRider

• Bulleteer
Reply #11 on: December 04, 2007, 10:30:56 pm
Adrian,
I think you are on to something about speed.  Sunday afternoon while riding on a 4 lane, me in one lane and my son in another side by side, him on his Suz SV650, I was running at between 65-70 mph for a few minutes.  He swears I was doing 70- 75 mph.  He thinks my speedo is off by at least 5 mph.  On another occasion while he was following me back from the dealer, in a new Toyota Camry, I was running 50-55mph.  He asked me why I was running around 60mph when I said I was going to hold it at the lower speed.

Travelling from Athens, Ga. back to Albany, Ga. he constantly maintained that I was running a higher speed than I stated to him I was doing.  So maybe I was actually doing 85 mph Sunday instead of 80 mph.  I need to look into this.
Terry

LJRead

Reply #12 on: December 04, 2007, 10:59:42 pm

During an 85 mile ride yesterday, the speedo showed 80+mph.  I held it there for maybe 5 seconds at the most and then gently backed off. 

Before I die I think I would like to whip somebody, give them a good licking.  Its bad to think I might go thru my whole life never ever beating up on another man.

It is too easy to die, in a fight, even if you are very good - all it takes is a blow in the wrong place. It is not worth the risk of death, or killing the opponent, so avoid it unless pressed hard by a fool, then end it quickly.

I'm with you RagMan - would always choose to walk away.  But when someone sideswipes you with a huge fist, not much you can do, especially sitting on the ground with the birds flying around in your head.  Two deaths in fights since I've been here, one got hit in the head with a 2 by 4, one got a thrown brick in the head.  Taught my son to walk away, but when he did he got a big stone in the back of the head.  I think he was in a fight nearly every day of his high school years.  Like I say, a national sport here.

Question: Is there a correlation between wanting to drive 80 or more mph and wanting to get in a few licks?  Aren't both equally dangerous? :(

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #13 on: December 05, 2007, 01:22:00 am
Hi All,

my first post on this forum, and someone's started a thread on something that gets me started - no, not the violence, just getting an Electra-X to pick up her skirts and run like she was meant to!

First off, your Electra-X has a redesigned engine that is really is intended to cope with more enthusiastic use than the stock classic. It's not just the tougher crank and gear oil pumps, have you had a look inside the head?  I'll post some pictures, the inlet port is big, with very little work needed for some fun. The whole thing seems designed to rev. 80 MPH is not unreasonable, and set up right an Electra-X is good for more.

On my side of the Atlantic (sorry, another one joined!) some riders a few pounds lighter than me (and with less sail area, I'm 6'3" tall) have been getting very good speeds from their Electras. I think the best was some guy from Finland who posted on the Hitchcock's board and, after converting from kilometers and adjusting for speedometer error, we calculated his top speed must have been 90+ mph, officer! His Electra had the 32mm Dell'orto pumper carb which the UK importers supply as well as a free flowing exhaust. Rick who also posts here has had some excellent performance from his Electra-X,  some of this with the stock Mikarb CV carb jetted up and a modified needle!

What I have noticed is that the overall gearing on my Electra is slightly too high for me with the stock 18 tooth countershaft sprocket, yet plenty of Electra riders seem happier with 19 or even 20 tooth versions. Weird, perhaps I still need to lose more weight!  ::)

Adrian

Welcome aboard Adrian!

RE: perhaps I still need to lose more weight

Probably the best way for me to get better performance out of my bike too!

Matt

TRider

• Bulleteer
Reply #14 on: December 05, 2007, 01:15:30 pm
Hey guys, forget about the fighting.  I was only kidding.  Just used it as a metaphor.  I have way way too much money in my teeth to ever think seriously about being in a real fight.  If someone were to "knock my teeth down my throat" just because I wanted to whip someone before I die, it would cost me the price of a new BMW to get the ole teeth fixed.  No way.  Peace be to all.
Terry

Now, back to the real subject, doing 80mph on an Enfield Electra.  Yeah, it certainly can be done, especially if you weigh 150 lbs.  I think mine can do 85mph.  I don't think I will run it again at high speed for awhile, so the 85 test will have to wait.

Peace again