Author Topic: What spares?  (Read 3693 times)

LJRead

on: December 03, 2007, 09:30:34 pm

Simple question, maybe not so simple to answer.

If you lived in semi-isolation where parts could take months to obtain, what major spares would you stock up on?  Your bike- a good conditioned lean burn (AVL) type; driving conditions- fairly good; speed- slow; miles per year- maybe 2,000; weather- tropical.

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 10:11:43 pm

Simple question, maybe not so simple to answer.

If you lived in semi-isolation where parts could take months to obtain, what major spares would you stock up on?  Your bike- a good conditioned lean burn (AVL) type; driving conditions- fairly good; speed- slow; miles per year- maybe 2,000; weather- tropical.

I bought the jumbo maintenance kit with several o-rings, gaskets and oil filters from CMW.

The bike came with a spare clutch cable and inner tube.

I bought two spare spark plugs and holder.

I bought two spare primary cover gaskets and one spare cam cover gasket.

I carry a whole slew of spare tools to supplement the OEM kit. Haven't needed them yet!

I probably should have some spare bulbs, a spare chain, spare brake pads (front and rear), spare throttle cable, spare front brake cable, spare front headlamp bulb. I prolly should ask Santa for these....

Matt

dewjantim

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: December 03, 2007, 10:24:57 pm
Sounds like Thumper has you covered LJ. The only thing I would add is a BMW style airpump for your tires.....Dew.
If it hurts, you're not dead yet!!!!!

LJRead

Reply #3 on: December 08, 2007, 03:02:10 am

I was hoping to get some ideas on things that go wrong with your R Es, but maybe they never need parts? 

But I've been thinking that another tack might be to have Rhett or someone at CMW get some information on the cost of courier service to the South Pacific, which might be a less costly way to maintain spare (let CMW do it).  We have Fedex on the main island and a couple of others as well (DHL and one called TNT)

I suppose when all is said and done, it will be the one spare I didn't think of which will be the one I need and also the one that no one has in stock.  Is there some sort of Murphy-type law for that?.

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #4 on: December 08, 2007, 10:13:50 pm
I suppose when all is said and done, it will be the one spare I didn't think of which will be the one I need and also the one that no one has in stock.  Is there some sort of Murphy-type law for that?.

That's exactly it. Murphy insists that the more spares and tools you carry, the less chance you'll need any of them. Yes, he will find that one item you lack in your kit; but at least we can narrow down his choices!

Matt