Author Topic: oil pressure probs  (Read 3814 times)

enfield freddy

• Grand Gearhead
  • old man riding an old bike
on: February 24, 2010, 10:17:09 pm
one that i think  "ace" might be interested in

a few weeks ago a oil pump spindle failed , first signs were the semrat rockers locking up , (as i was proceding at speed)

knowing this problem might happen again , i decided to do something?

now we all know that the bullet has low oil pressure , but a good flow , so a guage was out of the question.

I decided to fit a very low actuating oil pressure switch into the quill bolt.

the switch actuates between 1.1 and 2 LBi , (so is low)

I set this up , on a space on the cascette reseved for a warning light , that shows when my side stand is down (no cuttout fitted)

switch here http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NISSAN-MICRA-BLUEBIRD-OIL-PRESSURE-SWITCH_W0QQitemZ220506484619QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxq20091126?IMSfp=TL091126206005r11527

i removed the plastic section , and its descrete , if for some reason the light comes on ,,,,,,stop!!!

arthritis hurts at my age!

chumma7

• Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 10:19:28 pm
very good idea. got any pics of this installed?
ACE Fireball 001

enfield freddy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 10:24:55 pm
the switch supplied was an "intermotor" brand

51150 24 1/8" BSP Taper 0.7-2.2 LBS

and it was a simple job to put a spare quill bolt in a lathe to be drilled/tapped

only one wire was needed to be run to the cascette

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 10:57:50 pm
It's a neat idea.

Are you running the floating bush or the roller?

I don't think the roller will hold any pressure.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

enfield freddy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 11:06:14 pm
at present the standard big end , the switch has such a low operating pressure , i think it would work on the later roller type

as the cost is just an old quill bolt , a (£5 UK) switch , nothing is lost

if/when the light comes on STOP!!!!

cochi

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 05:58:37 pm
Freddy, that is an excellent idea. I'm with chumma7, would love to see pictures and some directions. Thanks. cochi

enfield freddy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: February 27, 2010, 06:18:10 pm
parts are being manufactured at the moment for a mk 2 version, the idea is to make a semi hollow bolt , to replace the oil filter bolt , this new bolt will have a tapping on the back to take a switch , with a drilling running down it for several inches , then cross drillings to get the pressure from the filter housing , we are trying to find the correct dia /material that will not break on the cross drillings

this one will  sit neatly , where the nut at the back of your filter is now

cochi

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: February 27, 2010, 07:14:16 pm
Freddy, that's even a better idea. Keep us posted. I'm, for one, am very interested.       Thanks, cochi :)

enfield freddy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: February 27, 2010, 07:27:53 pm
I am having several sample made up (as we speak) the cost of the final article complete with a compatable UK made switch should not be excessive , the idea is to make the thing foolproof , reliable , unbreakable , and a cost effective upgrade.

when they are running , i will send photo,s/samples to kevin and let him decide if he wants to supply , if not i will make then available vie paypal

alan b

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: February 27, 2010, 10:39:50 pm
Freddy I'm a bit confused you say the nut at the back of the filter. The Bullet doesn't have a nut at the back. All the 700s I have do but the bullet I own doesn't. Is this just for the twins?  ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: February 27, 2010, 11:50:50 pm
Thats a good idea the only one I ever thought of was with the Quill bolt. Actually CMW had a rig like this with the Quill bolt years ago but they discontinued it.  Must admit I never thought of trying to use the through bolt on the twin oil pumps.   ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

enfield freddy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: February 27, 2010, 11:58:52 pm
cheers have tried on the quill , tapping in and fitting a switch ,, a guage is useless!!! but the switch works ok,

but it looks ugly , and in the case of my bike , is very close to the sweptback front pipe.

the prioity is finding a sutable metal that in a smaller size , ie: closer to 8mm that will not snap/stretch when cross drilling are made into it , along with the drilling running down the interior to feed the switch outlet when you tighten the oil filter cover nut

things are looking good tho,

RGT

• Grand Gearhead
  • '94 350 Bullet
Reply #12 on: February 28, 2010, 12:10:26 am
I wonder if you might be better in putting a tapped hole for your switch in a capnut that is then used to lock your standard undrilled quill bolt. You could cut in an oring groove on the sealing/ mating face of the capnut so that oild could come up the threads into the capnut and switch without having to weaken the bolt...

enfield freddy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: February 28, 2010, 12:24:14 am
sorry , late in the uk , bedtime almost!

plan 1 was to drill the quill bolt that screws into the timing cover , that feeds the cork/neoprene seal at the end of the crank? , this has been done , and we have proved that a oil light works , but a guage is a no no.

plan 2 , which is progressing , is to fit a switch at the rear of the oil filter housing , between the housing and the g/box ,and will get a reading from inside the oil filter chamber, sorry if i have misread your post (polish lager!)

alan b

RGT

• Grand Gearhead
  • '94 350 Bullet
Reply #14 on: February 28, 2010, 12:29:49 am
Sorry, my mistake I thought you were calling the bolt that rod that passes through the oil filter the quill bolt.