Author Topic: Bullet blinker Q from a newbie  (Read 5350 times)

robth100

• Scooter
on: February 23, 2010, 01:22:33 am
Just made my first accessory purchase from CMW and the parts arrived today.  Rear old fashion pillon seat (to replace the ripped one that was on the bike when I bought it), bullet blinkers and 7 inch head light (back ordered).  Seat installed easy enough but the blinkers I have some questions on.  While I am not worried about the hooking them up as far as wiring, placement is where I'm questioning.  I plan to recycle the front blinker mounting brackets.  However, they still seem to be very close to the forks.  I read somewhere about some 2 inch extensions that can be purchased.  But when I talked to the rep at CMW about my order, they never even mentioned getting them so I dismissed it.  Also, for the rear blinkers, with the pillon seat in place, where do folks recommend they be mounted?  Should I drill through the mounting bracket for the pillon seat? Elsewhere?

I have been paging through the member ride pics but I am not finding any pictures with enough detail.  Here is a link to the current set up on my bike.  

http://s81.photobucket.com/albums/j226/robth1001/Royal%20Enfield/

Thanks in advance for any advice/recommendations!

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 02:09:10 am
Nice photos.

Here is a picture of my signals on the front..
They are close without the extensions, but I think they look decent.

On the rears I replaced the bolts that holds the seat to the fender carriers with the signal. It worked well with the stock seat.  I replace my stocker with a sprung pillion that has a different clamp than yours but I imagine the same solution would work to hold your pillion seat on.

Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

500KsGerry

• Grand Gearhead
  • Remember when decency wasn't a option?
Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 11:38:49 am
Hello and welcome to the  forum.  
Don't, do not Drill into the fender stays, they are hollow and will be highly weakend. I am not sure if you were considering this but just had to get that in there. Also, I see that you have the cool plate/tail light mount. Mine had holes drilled on either side of this for turn signals with extensions. It was simply wired inside the taillight housing and looked OEM. Gerry
Modified 2001 Royal Enfield bullet 500

robth100

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 12:03:25 pm
Thanks for the info and pictures so far.  Gray, the bracket for my seat bolts to the brackets on the fender carrier thus eliminating what you've done.  Here is a picture of what I am thinking of doing.  The other option I'm thinking of also is to make a small bracket about 1 inch by 4 inch that I can bolt between the seat and carrier brackets and have it  parrell to the ground extending toward the read of the bike.  I could then mount the light to the end of this.  This would eliminate drilling out any other parts on the bike as well as to give the passenger more room.  Actually, as I sit here typing, I think I like this option the best.  Thoughts?

500KsGerry

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 12:16:22 pm
The size of the hole required to mount there would significantly weaken the seat mount, welding a washer there would work. Look into some small L-brackets to bolt behind the licence plate maybe or right to the seat mount? Or perhaps at the fender stay bolts. Atleast it can be changed back with no harm done.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 12:35:22 pm by 500KsGerry »

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 01:25:10 pm
I would not drill anything to attach them.  I would use the existing bolt hole.   

I have no signals on my 95'.. Works really well and I don't have to worry about bulbs burning out..
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010, 05:59:23 pm
I have no signals on my 95'.. Works really well and I don't have to worry about bulbs burning out..

Yes I do agree the savings on purchasing new bulbs for t-signals far out ways the safety aspect of the devise. I got rid of mine also and have noticed a vast improvement in performance from the weight loss. Also my hand signal technique has evolved from basic signal corps to Vegas sideshow.  ;)
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 07:25:06 pm
Yes I do agree the savings on purchasing new bulbs for t-signals far out ways the safety aspect of the devise. I got rid of mine also and have noticed a vast improvement in performance from the weight loss. Also my hand signal technique has evolved from basic signal corps to Vegas sideshow.  ;)

For my next trick I will be replacing my tires for a 5mph speed gain... This works on the same principle that when you are a child and get new sneakers you run much faster.... ;D

I don't worry much about safety anymore since the wife made me mount an orange construction flasher atop my helmet..

Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #8 on: February 23, 2010, 08:59:36 pm
"  I don't worry much about safety anymore since the wife made me mount an orange construction flasher atop my helmet..  "

We gotta have pics of this...  or video!! 
              yea, this calls for some youtube action!!

'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

Anon

• Grand Gearhead
  • Good golly Miss Molly
Reply #9 on: February 23, 2010, 09:18:13 pm
This works on the same principle that when you are a child and get new sneakers you run much faster.... ;D

And jump higher, and stop faster!!!

Eamon
Eamon

500KsGerry

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: February 24, 2010, 01:15:51 am
 The other option I'm thinking of also is to make a small bracket about 1 inch by 4 inch that I can bolt between the seat and carrier brackets and have it  parrell to the ground extending toward the read of the bike.  I could then mount the light to the end of this.  This would eliminate drilling out any other parts on the bike as well as to give the passenger more room.  Actually, as I sit here typing, I think I like this option the best.  Thoughts?

That would work good. manny times the simpelest fix looks the best too. I say go for it  8) Good looking Bike you got there. Gerry
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 01:18:04 am by 500KsGerry »

Rick Sperko

• Grand Gearhead
  • Milwaukee, WI
Reply #11 on: February 24, 2010, 04:03:05 am
On my bike the flasher was used to replace the bolt for the seat back there. Simply push the threaded part through and tighten the nut. Right below where you indicate.

Personally I dislike the indicators mounted there. I put mine at the bottom of the luggage rail. It looks a lot better there to me. Took a while to figure out a way, but is good now. There is a thread around here somewhere on it.

-Rick
Rick in Milwaukee, WI

'06 RE Bullet Classic Iron
'63 VW Beetle Ragtop (also classic)
'66 Chris Craft Cavalier Cutlass 26'
'02 BMW R1150R

Glenn

• Bulleteer
  • 2000 Bullet 500 Deluxe

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #13 on: March 02, 2010, 09:53:33 pm
That looks GREAT!!
 Did you bring the wires back up from the tail light still under the fender
or up and over the front of the fender and  under the seat like we had talked
about?  I'm pretty sure mine will be sporting that look this season!
                - Mike
   (you've made my files with this one....)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 09:56:20 pm by baird4444 »
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

Glenn

• Bulleteer
  • 2000 Bullet 500 Deluxe
Reply #14 on: March 02, 2010, 10:23:28 pm
Actually Mike, I've been super busy so I haven't gotten much done on it lately, but I'm taking your suggestion and moving all the tail light (& rear turn signal) wiring over the fender & under the seat. I'll post a picture or two soon.

Briefly, I disconnected the harness and pulled it out from the metal loops on the inner rim of the fender, then ran the two wires from the tail light through the loop closest to the light (to hold them in place) & thence up over the fender rim and into the connectors on the harness, now located above the fender.

The two bullet tail light wires now simply go over the fender to where they connect to the harness.

The harness itself is not actually on top of the fender; I've attached it to the fender rail using zip ties. Surprisingly, my biggest problem was dealing with the excess slack in the harness -- after moving it, it was more than a foot too long. I coiled up and zip-tied the excess & tucked it under the regulators.

My rear lights ground to the fender/frame itself, and sometimes it's hard to get a good connection trhough just the mounting bolts. I added an "extra" ground connection for all of them -- ring terminals on the mounting bolts, running back to the ground wire of the harness, and all of these bolted to a new hole in the top of the fender, pretty far forwards so it'll be hidden by the seat.