Author Topic: Ruined engine sprocket??  (Read 6983 times)

500KsGerry

• Grand Gearhead
  • Remember when decency wasn't a option?
Reply #15 on: February 23, 2010, 04:54:35 pm
You can use it but I think that is junk now. Sorry man.  >:(Gerry
Modified 2001 Royal Enfield bullet 500

Lahti35

• Currently Enfield-less!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • The Department of Redundancy Deptartment.
Reply #16 on: February 23, 2010, 05:08:54 pm
End of the world? Nope.... Talked with the guys overseas and the got me all fixed up for a very reasonable sum :) Still have the flu so i couldn't put it back together now if i had the parts anyway.... so i wait for the day my order arrives.

Snowed yet again here and covered the ground that had been expsosed by melt yesterday..... riding season still a ways off >:(
'03 Ex-Electric start 500....gone but not forgotten...

I'm a fuel injected suicide machine. I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the out-of-controller!

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: February 23, 2010, 11:45:16 pm
Talked with the guys overseas and the got me all fixed up for a very reasonable sum :)

If it's a KS sprocket from the "guys overseas" source that swore up and down to me that there were no difference in size between the KS and ES sprockets it will be interesting to see if it's a sloppy fit or not.
I got a handful of KS sprockets and they all were a sloppy fit on the splines of a ES and a Hitchcock's crank. I ended up removing gears off of ES sprockets for both of em.

This might be one of those things that you really need a box of a hundred sprockets and find the one that fits just right on your crank.

Let me know how it turns out.
CJ

1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

Lahti35

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: February 24, 2010, 12:08:45 am
If it's a KS sprocket from the "guys overseas" source that swore up and down to me that there were no difference in size between the KS and ES sprockets it will be interesting to see if it's a sloppy fit or not.
I got a handful of KS sprockets and they all were a sloppy fit on the splines of a ES and a Hitchcock's crank. I ended up removing gears off of ES sprockets for both of em.

This might be one of those things that you really need a box of a hundred sprockets and find the one that fits just right on your crank.

CJ

We'll know in a week or two.... i'll keep you posted. I noticed that it was listed in the catalog for ES bikes only vs sprockets listed for KS only. If not i'll just throw the chewed one back in there ::)

I'm a fuel injected suicide machine. I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the out-of-controller!

Lahti35

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: March 01, 2010, 11:52:49 pm

CJ

Got it today and...... its sloppy! I knew as soon as i saw it was  wrapped in the typical RE spares  wrapped that it would have slop..... oh well time to get an ES sprocket and have it turned down. I'm getting a nice collection of sprockets over here :P

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #20 on: March 02, 2010, 12:21:17 am
Got it today and...... its sloppy! I knew as soon as i saw it was  wrapped in the typical RE spares  wrapped that it would have slop..... oh well time to get an ES sprocket and have it turned down. I'm getting a nice collection of sprockets over here :P

Yes there is a difference in the two sprockets. I had thought I would have been able to use my KS sprocket also but after close examination I saw there was really just to much play. As far as your sprocket goes I would probably use it as is, the gouge doesn't really look that deep compared to what's left.
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #21 on: March 02, 2010, 01:05:14 am
When I did mine I received a cut down ES sprocket in exchange for my original and there was slop, had to get mine cut and returned..  I think they have a big bin of sprockets in the factory and they just run through em til they get one that fits..  I would use your original and not worry about it.
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

Lahti35

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: March 04, 2010, 12:07:48 am
I will if the ES sprocket coming doesn't fit >:(

I plan to switch cranks next year at some point....probably have to go through this whole thing again!